Author Topic: Complete timeline of the AK  (Read 1090 times)

hillbillyboy

• SKS Gunsmith
"Screw 911......I dial 7.62x39, 12GA, 40SW, or .38SPL for my problems.
911 is simply for cleanup."- Lone Eagle.

ogryzek

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Plinker
Re: Complete timeline of the AK
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 04:25:03 PM »
Cool... but condensed to an extreme.

tapcofan606

• SKS Expert
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 04:35:04 PM »
yea thats wat i thought, although lots of new ak info....it still lacks alot of the history everyone else knows...and has little to do with the ak itself and more to do with people or peoples who used it. I would like to see a time line go into detail with pics when avaliable and show every improvment, every variant made by other countries, and so on....more on the gun less on the movements using it.
..GONE....JUST PLAIN GONE....

ARTONY92

• SKS Guru
  • Barrel Shroud- That shoulder thing that goes up
    • Youtube
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 04:54:45 PM »

A movement to ban assault rifles in the U.S. begins after a man kills five schoolchildren in Stockton, Calif., with an AK copy.
thats wrong (i think), i could have sworn the firearm he used was a bubba'd chinese sks

tapcofan606

• SKS Expert
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 05:11:28 PM »
alot of times they are mistakin for aks, i saw an old video on tv the other day where they said a guy used an ak, it was a sks with folding stock and extended mag....i dont know which it gives a worse name the ak or the sks....i hate when people mistake one for the other. I have even had friends say lets shoot your aks or ska or aksk. Im like ummm dont have any of those......

rcbif

• Professional Somethin or Other
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Lock "N" Load
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 05:27:24 PM »

A movement to ban assault rifles in the U.S. begins after a man kills five schoolchildren in Stockton, Calif., with an AK copy.
thats wrong (i think), i could have sworn the firearm he used was a bubba'd chinese sks

He used a type 56 AK variant.

tapcofan606

• SKS Expert
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 05:28:41 PM »
thnx for the update, helps alot

tapcofan606

• SKS Expert
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 06:22:09 PM »
but thanx for the post. I love to talk about russian small arms. Its weird but I love Russian small arms and dont really care much for American small arms. I love to research, watch on tv, surf the web, and talk ak and sks and am just so happy to have found a place where people arent afraid of you or calls you a commy.Plus they actually know what they are talking about, not enough people know the facts on ak and sks rifles....darn shame it is, small arms should be a class in high school if you ask me, and in college if you have your license i think you should be allowed to carry and maybe save lives.

rayman1

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 10:32:48 PM »
It's certainly not very well written and really never answered its own topic.  Kind of seemed like someone at the magazine needed an article really fast to fill up some space and pulled it together in about ten minutes.

Spartan

• SKS Expert
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 10:36:48 PM »
I have even had friends say lets shoot your aks or ska or aksk. Im like ummm dont have any of those......

You left out aka..  :lol:

KomradeKrunk

• SKS Expert
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 10:57:43 AM »
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military/weapons/ak-47-questions-about-most-important-gun-ever
This is also a decent read, but I think Mr. Kalashnikov would be fairly pissed to read the many claims of him ripping off the Sturmgewehr. It goes to show how thickheaded people can be, he wrote an entire book on the gun and can't tell the difference between the two. Other than a long stroke piston and a .30 cal intermediate round they share nothing in common. It's like how people think that the VZ58 is a "Czech AK" just because they look alike. It's also interesting how most non-gunners don't know that the FAL or the Right Arm of the Free World was based on the evil Nazi STG44.

AKBLUE

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 11:20:57 AM »
Milspec firerams from many countries borrowed design features from other weapons/countries fairly freely over the years.  I believe later in life Kalashnikov admitted he borrowed design features from other firearms including the Sturm.

ARTONY92

• SKS Guru
  • Barrel Shroud- That shoulder thing that goes up
    • Youtube
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 06:43:10 PM »

He used a type 56 AK variant.
wasnt the type 56 the SKS in China?  :?
i may have no idea whats goin on......

rayman1

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 09:07:56 PM »
wasnt the type 56 the SKS in China?  :?

The Chinese used the "Type 56" nomenclature their SKS, Kalashnikov, and other pieces of equipment (tanks, cannons).

Mikhail Kalashnikov used to be quite undeterred in his denial that he borrowed various characteristics of other rifles for his inspiration for the design of the Kalashnikov rifle.  And naturally so, under the stern hand of the political system back then in Russia.  You essentially said what the political machine requested you to say.  In recent years, he's made admissions of utilizing other rifle designs for his inspiration like any other gun designer would. 

But he's a bit unreliable.  He's often contradicted he's previous statements on things and has really become more of a iconic relic who'll do whatever you want or so whatever you want as long as you pay him.  Plus, it's really not a big surprise that information has began to surface that he may not have been solely responsible for the Kalashnikov as once touted.  Many believed he was afforded the "State Hero" persona due to the Russian propaganda machine believing the people needed motivational focus to be proud of during that era.  In time, more will come to light and some diehard Kalashnikov fans may be a bit disappointed in their hero.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 09:23:03 PM by rayman1 »

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 09:14:24 PM »
wasnt the type 56 the SKS in China?  :?

The Chinese used the "Type 56" nomenclature their SKS, Kalashnikov, and other pieces of equipment (tanks, cannons).

The shooting occurred at a McDonald's resaurant, and the gun was a Norinco AK...Chinese AK variants were quite popular and common in the US then, I passed up the chance to get an underfolder for $200 brand new. :(
Proudly making the world a safer place, one dirtbag at a time....