Author Topic: threading a m44 mosin nagant barrel  (Read 4073 times)

ccrider

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
threading a m44 mosin nagant barrel
« on: January 19, 2011, 08:25:04 PM »
has anyone done this? i'm wondering if i could use my 14mm  left hand die for this.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 06:49:11 PM by ccrider »

Zer0DazE

• SKS Gunsmith
  • I will deport you
Re: threading a m44 mosin nagant barrel
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 09:04:40 PM »
Why in gods name is this in the C&R section?  This makes baby Jesus cry.

ccrider

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 09:44:04 PM »
it's an old rifle, where else should i post this? Are you sure Jesus would care? The only info i've found is people getting attacked on other forums for asking this, i didn't know they are holy relics.

marcodelat

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 09:50:55 PM »

ApexCypher

• SKS Guru
  • There Is A War Going On For Your Mind
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 10:56:36 PM »
If you find out this works please let me know. I have been thinking about seeing about trying to get an AK74 brake onto a 91/30.
"I about dropped the bike getting him off, it was like I was being raped."
:Kalash:

ryder

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 11:15:43 PM »
If you find out this works please let me know. I have been thinking about seeing about trying to get an AK74 brake onto a 91/30.
...i sort of want to see this...>.>
The End.

bch7773

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 02:49:21 AM »

uhhh  ak74 brake diamater would be 5.45.  Mosin nagant bullet diamater is 7.62

might work for one shot  :shock:
guns be funs

ApexCypher

• SKS Guru
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 07:00:04 AM »
Thats kinda what I was wondering. Just havnt gotten around to checking in on it. Tthanks!

captain concrete

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 09:19:42 AM »
you can order the '74 style brake in most any bore diameter needed. google around a bit. i just put an AR style brake on my sks para project. just had to order one that is sized correctly... not really a big deal.
I am the 'AMMO HOARDER EXTRAORDINAIRE'  :-)

Lone Eagle

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Embrace the insanity.
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 05:59:51 PM »
you can order the '74 style brake in most any bore diameter needed. google around a bit. i just put an AR style brake on my sks para project. just had to order one that is sized correctly... not really a big deal.

Or find someone who can machine it out for you.  I have a AR15 birdcage on my SKS.  Had a bud bore it for the proper diameters, and it works.
Μολὼν λαβέ (Molon labe), “Come and get them!”

AK-47--So Simple a Caveman Could Fix One

captain concrete

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 06:29:28 PM »
right. my situation it was cheaper to just order the right sized one for $13 as the machine shops here would of charged me $40 or so and i didnt have access to a lathe. regardless how you do it, its pretty simple to get one that will fit most any barrel.
I am the 'AMMO HOARDER EXTRAORDINAIRE'  :-)

Zer0DazE

• SKS Gunsmith
  • I will deport you
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 07:09:46 AM »
it's an old rifle, where else should i post this?

As soon as you start threading the barrel the rifle will no longer be C&R...  So I would think that if you wanted to make some sporter you might want to post it in the Rifles section.

Not that it really matters anyways.  There are only a couple of people here that actually collect C&R anymore, and the rest just want to turn a Mosin into a bolt action AK.   :roll:

ApexCypher , I would love to see an AK74 brake on a Mosin.  Let me know what happens when you pull the trigger...  before you do, you might want to look at a Tapco AK74 style brake for the AK47.

Hillbilly61

• SKS Guru
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 08:31:14 AM »
For the brake, you can probably just drill out it's bore to accommodate the larger 7.62 bullet, as the brake should have minimal impact on ballistics. Of course, putting one on that is the right diameter is always an option too. But, hey, if I had a smaller brake laying about - why not drill out a larger bore in it for a project at hand? You might have to alter the ports some, as that cartridge expels considerably more gas than the AK round. Deflecting the gas out the sides of the brake is what's really behind how they work. 

I'd be very interested in seeing how this turns out too, as that is definitely a gun that could benefit from a brake. Plus, Mosins are about as common as a milsurp series can get, so chopping on one a little bit isn't going to be like getting a lot closer to taking the last pristine one out of circulation forever. I've seen some interesting mods done to this gun elsewhere on the net as it is inexpensive and a rather accurate shooter.

scarymike23

• A Sawhorse Is A
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • This argument needs more pie.
    • Alternate History War Film!
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 10:56:46 AM »
Plus, Mosins are about as common as a milsurp series can get, so chopping on one a little bit isn't going to be like getting a lot closer to taking the last pristine one out of circulation forever.

I'll give you $2 to go over to 7.62x54.net's forums and post that :D
для родины!

Первые оружеиные заводы в туле

ApexCypher

• SKS Guru
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 02:42:57 PM »

it's an old rifle, where else should i post this?

As soon as you start threading the barrel the rifle will no longer be C&R...  So I would think that if you wanted to make some sporter you might want to post it in the Rifles section.

Not that it really matters anyways.  There are only a couple of people here that actually collect C&R anymore, and the rest just want to turn a Mosin into a bolt action AK.   :roll:

ApexCypher , I would love to see an AK74 brake on a Mosin.  Let me know what happens when you pull the trigger...  before you do, you might want to look at a Tapco AK74 style brake for the AK47.

Ok, yes let rephrase my statement. What I was meaning was an AK74 "style" brake not an actual AK74 brake. So that being said will the same AK74 "style" brake on my AK work in theory, if I could thread it onto a mosin? Meaning 7.62 x 54 and 7.62 x 39 share the same bullet diamater?