Author Topic: Best ammo???  (Read 1322 times)

jmeier1981

• SKS Newbie
Best ammo???
« on: January 26, 2011, 11:46:22 PM »
Ok I think I want to piece together a fun little "tactical" SKS something similar to the one in the MilSurpStuff.com banner above but with some kind of optics as well. What is the best ammo for these things all Ive ever shot out of the old one I have is the cheap Wolf stuff. It will probably just be a fun little plinker gun for fun but would also like to be able to be confident using it for self defense and the occassional hunting trip. Ive got a rifle for predator hunting already but here in Iowa we do have a special doe only deer season that allows us to use centerfire rifles in certain areas. This year I used a buddies DPMS .308 with a holosight but that kind of set up is out of my price range and not cheap to just run rounds through for fun. Ill still shoot the cheap stuff for fun but was thinking anout trying some hornady vmax's for hunting or personnal defense, but just not sure if its anymore accurate or hits any harder.

Also what other stock options are there out there... similar to the tapco intrafuse???

And last but not least has anyone tried anything like this set up for there SKS or maybe even better has anyone used THIS set up?  http://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Sniper-3-9X42-Adaptor-Package/dp/B0030H59PG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1296103547&sr=1-1
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 11:55:04 PM by jmeier1981 »

jmeier1981

• SKS Newbie
Re: Best ammo???
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 12:43:47 PM »
Nobody has any suggestions???

Beermaker

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 06:16:40 PM »
Well up here in the North we get 1200 rds of Czech surplus ammo for about $220.00 cdn ($230 usd).
I find it works really good and its made for this rifle.  It goes BANG.  But I'm not sure if you guys down south can have it.  It's steel core, steel jacket copper washed.  Oh and corrosive but I like to clean my SKS anyways after I shoot.

K
Stress - The result of having to control the urge and not choke the S*&% out of someone who desperately needs it.

sheepdog

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • BIG MONEY GRIFF
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 07:17:43 PM »
Nobody has any suggestions???

Some of us do have to work you know. :happy3:
 LIVE FROM THE DOGHOUSE.

Tricolor

• Constitution Supporter
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • 7.62mm МЕТАК
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 08:33:59 PM »
It depends: what is your idea of "best"?

Best means different things for different people.

For me, best means cheapest - the stuff that sells at Wal-mart for 4.97 a box is great. You can pick up a brick of 1000 rounds for 200 bucks shipped.

I've heard a lot of positive comments about the yugo surplus stuff. People say is accurate and burns nicely. you may want to check that out. (I personally don't like to deal with corrosive ammo).

"There are collectors, shooters, hunters, bubba, tinkerers, wanna-be's, preppers, machinists, historians, snobs, newbies, etc on the site…All have one thing in common: the SKS" - AKBLUE

jbanzai

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • End of days.
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 09:44:06 PM »
golden tiger is good...brown bear has been good for me.
if you don't mind corrosive, the yugo surplus is spoken of highly of

look at the steals and deals section of the board
WTB Chinese SKS, numbers matching, excellent condition early /26\ with threaded barrel and milled trigger guard

jmeier1981

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 11:04:14 AM »
I was kind of meaning "other" than the cheap surp. stuff. I was looking for something that would be a little more accurate and have a good performing bullet in it not just FMJ or the cheap foriegn HPs... Thats kinda why I mentioned Hornadys Vmax, has anyone had any experience with this ammo or any other domestic hunting grade ammo???

Im also still open to suggestions for other stocks that are somewhat similar to the tapco and also looking for optics/sight options

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 12:14:15 PM »
 How accurate do you want to be, and for what purpose? :?

For range shooting, unless you plan to hand load, it's tough to beat the accuracy of the Yugoslavian surplus ammo....and for that purpose, FMJ is fine.

For hunting, (and I would imagine you would be hunting medium game, the x39 round is a little much for squirrels) the softpoints form Silver Bear and Brown Bear are pretty decent , quite a few folks here have taken alot of game with both....  http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/120-rds-silver-bear-762x39-mm-125-gr-ammo.aspx?a=217620  and  http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/500-rds-762x39-sp-ammo.aspx?a=220562

I have personally shot hogs with both of these rounds, and their accuracy and performance was excellent. 8)

You would probably get a small gain from doing handloads for hunting as well, but I don't know that the gains would be significant enough to merit doing it.
Proudly making the world a safer place, one dirtbag at a time....

Old Outlaw

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 07:17:38 PM »
Well, I live in Iowa also, near the QC. Our Whitetails here in Iowa are pretty large, both Buck or Doe, than in a number
of other states. A deer killer proven, is the Military Classic 124 gr. HP which has the M83 I believe it is bullet. From the
ULY arsenal. Not the 122gr, only the MC or Uly labeled 124Gr. I have used Wolf 154 gr SP, not near enough expansion
for me.

Otherwise, buy US made hunting rounds. JUST BE SURE the US ammo has a .310 or .311 dia. bullet. Not .308.

BigBill

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 07:38:15 PM »
I been planning on using my sks for hunting also someday.  I been buying the 125gr soft point and the 154 soft point bullets.  I figure the 125gr for varmit and the 154gr up to deer size game. I have heard about the wolf 154gr soft point ammo being very accurate. Where i hunt out of state we have to use a soft point bullet.  The law is the law were we hunt so i make no mistakes.     BB

Old Outlaw

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 07:52:04 PM »
I been planning on using my sks for hunting also someday.  I been buying the 125gr soft point and the 154 soft point bullets.  I figure the 125gr for varmit and the 154gr up to deer size game. I have heard about the wolf 154gr soft point ammo being very accurate. Where i hunt out of state we have to use a soft point bullet.  The law is the law were we hunt so i make no mistakes.     BB

Yes,I understand. Here in Iowa bullet choice is up to individual. I agree in what you heard about the Wolf 154 SP. It is very accurate
in my Mitchel M70 and Norinco SKS. Will try it in one of my Yugo rifles whenever it warms up a little!
The 125 SP you mention for Varmint, if it is Brown Bear ammo, I have seen three deer over past several years taken with it. Most
recently near my son's place in Southern Iowa. End of special doe season today and rifles permitted in lower counties. This doe
was hit just behind shoulder and down. Went through lung and heart area. Only looked close at entry wound, just larger than bullet diameter. Exit wound was size of Quarter. I'm impressed with that BB 125 SP!!