Author Topic: For you pee drinkers...or those of you curious about it.  (Read 3978 times)

HI-SPEED

• SKS Gunsmith
  • Survivor of the Great Possum Squashin' of 12/21/12
For you pee drinkers...or those of you curious about it.
« on: February 01, 2011, 04:17:20 PM »
You've seen Bear Grylls do it. You heard Patches O'Houlihan proclaim his affinity for it (if you watched "Dodgeball", anyway). Chances are, you figured it was a last resort for survival if you were ever out of water and needed a drink.

"Can I drink my own urine?" Sure you can. But the question is wrong, more importantly "should" you drink your own urine when you have been without it for a period of days? No. Never. Ever.

Who's this douchebag to be telling me not to drink my own pee to survive? Bear Grylls does it and he don't get hurt! Bear Grylls also dives headfirst into ice cold water, tries to rob honey bees in the desert -- getting his eyes swelled shut, and eats caterpillars that might well be poisonous; causing him to have to squirt over the side of a waterfall. Admittedly, it'd surely surprise the people below, probably be fun at parties, but it's not good if you have to try to live through an ordeal. So who am I?

I'm Shawn. I've been practicing Wilderness Survival and Living Skills for better than 20 years, I've taught privately and at a local Community College here in KY. I hunt, I fish, I hike, I camp (car camping, tent camping, and bare essentials camping) I'm not famous. I'm not rich. I'm not really even very attractive. But, I spend a lot of time researching and practicing woodsbumming techniques, and survival methods. And, before I started college, I spent a huge chunk of my time eating stuff that would make the neighbors (and family members) gag. I've never been to Africa. I've never been to Alaska. I've never been to the desert. Why? I don't want Malaria. I can't afford the trip to Alaska. And the desert is just too frigging hot.

Now, let's talk about that pee.

Why shouldn't you drink your pee in a low or no water situation (doesn't even have to be the desert. During Hurricane Katrina people didn't have potable water.)? Think about it: If your body wanted it in the first place, it'd keep it. Urine is one of the ways your body flushes toxins. Your wee-wee is your body's toilet.
The more water you go without, the more concentrated your pee becomes. Which means the waste products are more concentrated. Why would you want to feed your body something it clearly didn't want to begin with? Let alone in a stronger formula?
One of the main components of urine is salt. Salty food and drinks leech salt from your body, water is required to dilute the salts.

No doubt you've seen Les Stroud make a solar still and pee in it. Then drink the water produced by that process. Which is perfectly fine. If you like waiting 24 hrs for a miniscule amount of water. In an arid climate or a desert climate, the human body can require up to a gallon of a water an hour, depending on the level of physical activity. A few drops aren't going to help you. If anything, they'll only make you more thirsty than you were.

Your safest bet, if you are ever caught in a low or no water situtation is to move only during the coolest part of the day. Rest as much as possible. And stay cool/shaded.

Survival tip if the s ever h t f.
"Absolute and arbitrary power over the lives, liberty and property of freemen exists nowhere in a republic, not even in the largest majority." -- Constitution of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, Section 2.

wrightbrigade

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Despite all my rage I'm still just a rat in a cage
Re: For you pee drinkers...or those of you curious about it.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 04:51:48 PM »
Sounds reasonable.  However the questions remain, at what point would your own pee save your life, how to know when it's come down to that and what exactly does drinking your own pee do to you.
“When the people find that they can vote themselves money,
that will herald the end of the republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin

Ghost225

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
  • I live to serve
    • Beat the Geek....My business....
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 04:59:11 PM »
the military teaches you can recycle your own urine up to 5 times IF you have a means of filtering it (cheesecloth etc.)

Nolite Me Conculcare
وأنا لن تقدم

ARTONY92

• SKS Guru
  • Barrel Shroud- That shoulder thing that goes up
    • Youtube
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 05:00:35 PM »
Uh-oh R Kelly is NOT gonna like this post!  :shock:

bch7773

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 05:30:24 PM »
the military teaches you can recycle your own urine up to 5 times IF you have a means of filtering it (cheesecloth etc.)

i seriously doubt cheesecloth is going to filter the uric acid and salts out of the urine.

the original poster has a point, if you are desperate to actually drink the urine, you're probably so dehydrated that the urine is very concentrated and not great for you.
guns be funs

Ghost225

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
  • I live to serve
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 05:36:44 PM »
So........you know more than the survival training officers in SERE school, AF survival school and various others? Didnt say it was good for you....I said it would keep you alive a little longer.

Nolite Me Conculcare
وأنا لن تقدم

djprofd

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 05:37:05 PM »
I practice/study survival techniques too and am working on a summer camp/day camp for youth to teach self reliance skills.  

IMHO. it is acceptable to drink your urine only if it is not heavily concentrated, and the first piss since you ran out of water.  Thing is at that point, I at least, just don't want it enough.

d.
Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

You gotta fight for your right to party, ya know what I mean?

Ghost225

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
  • I live to serve
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 05:39:48 PM »
and thats the line between living one more day and dying with the rest.

Nolite Me Conculcare
وأنا لن تقدم

Spike 7.62

• SKS Guru
  • Don't Tread On Me
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 06:52:05 PM »
The military is years behind the civilian sector on almost everything, so I would caution that the lessons taught at SERE should be taken with a grain of salt, pun intended. I don't know the ratios of water to toxins in pee, but it can't be very good.

Drinking your pee will only dehydrate you further, and the more dehydrated you are, the more true it becomes. The optiomal time to drink your pee is when you are the most hydrated and it is clear, because it has the least amount of toxins. When you are dehydrated, nothing good is in your pee because your body has already filtered it. I would not drink dark pee in a survival situation.

- Spike
"The nation is divided; half patriots and half traitors. And no man can tell which from which."
Mark Twain

"When you have to shoot; shoot, don't talk."
- Tuco, The Good The Bad & The Ugly

OneShotWonder

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 07:06:27 PM »
Just save your pee before you get to that point so it is not so concentrated lol, problem solved.
"Play me like it's chess and ill smack you with a checker board."

djprofd

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 07:24:45 PM »
Just save your pee before you get to that point so it is not so concentrated lol, problem solved.

Good idea.  And you could ditch it if you found water.

d.
Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

You gotta fight for your right to party, ya know what I mean?

krazyk86cu

• SKS Expert
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 07:46:17 PM »
Nitrogen in the body is toxic. When amino acids are broke down, it releases Nitrogen which is turned into urea. Urea is then excreted via urine. It makes zero sense to put those toxins back through your system.

I'm taking a Clinical Biochem course in pharmacy school :lol:

yugoshooter

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • River Rat The cat
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 07:54:05 PM »
I was reading about a couple who got stranded in the desert, They found water that was full of bacteria so they gave them selfs enemas with it to keep them hydrated. I wonder if you could do that with your pee.
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from threat of force!

teanth

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 08:03:52 PM »
How about fresh urine as antiseptic?

yugoshooter

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • River Rat The cat
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 08:18:08 PM »
How about fresh urine as antiseptic?
The kids in coal mines back in the days use to pee on the cuts on their hands to help prevent infection. It also kills bacteria like athletes foot. 
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from threat of force!