Author Topic: How long does deer jerky last?  (Read 1838 times)

projo198

• FAILING AT LIFE, BUT DOING IT GLORIOUSLY.
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • <<amazingly witty comment>>
How long does deer jerky last?
« on: March 10, 2011, 03:37:35 PM »
I make it once in awhile and use canning salt and all that to preserve it. But is it a serious option when considering food storage?
Joint our Secret Santa exchange this year!!

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=125090.0;topicseen

martin08

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Hear ye! A round of Moose-burgers for all!
Re: How long does deer jerky last?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 03:43:57 PM »
It lasts less than ten minutes around me.  Never heard of storage.

(and never heard of moose jerky, either)

captain concrete

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 04:26:19 PM »
with the seasoning and preservative stuff i use, it recommends to refrigerate if older than 1 week. we eat it a LOT :lol: quicker than that but i dont think it would do for a SHTF sitution of any length of time. but there are many recipes tp pick from and probably some would last longer.
I am the 'AMMO HOARDER EXTRAORDINAIRE'  :-)

Hillbilly61

• SKS Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 12:55:37 AM »
with the seasoning and preservative stuff i use, it recommends to refrigerate if older than 1 week. we eat it a LOT :lol: quicker than that but i dont think it would do for a SHTF sitution of any length of time. but there are many recipes tp pick from and probably some would last longer.

I'm guessing here, but done right, it should last a long time - at least 6 months. That is why jerky was invented by stone age folk. A fully smoked and cured ham will last 6 months just hanging. Jerky seems to be way more cured than a ham is.

Go_Yugo

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 01:12:40 AM »
IIRC,German summer sausage, which prolly isn't as cured as well as jerky would last hanging in a poorly ventilated U-boat for like a 6 month voyage,though the crews reported you had the scrape off mold after a couple months to get to the good part... BTW,commercial jerky has so many artificial preservatives in it that you can't really judge it against home made.... :shock:

dmen

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Shooter
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 08:23:11 AM »
Jerked half a deer once and got three whole days out of it before the kids finished it off. dmen