Author Topic: AR-15 Scope vs. A2 front sight  (Read 6648 times)

Messiah Jones

• SKS Guru
    • Zombie Squad
AR-15 Scope vs. A2 front sight
« on: March 14, 2011, 11:04:18 PM »

How would you go about scoping an AR-15 flat top receiver so that the standard A2 front sight doesn't interfere with the optics? The goal is to keep the scope as low as possible.

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Frisco Pete

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
Re: AR-15 Scope vs. A2 front sight
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 11:19:35 PM »
Keeping the scope as low as possible is a big mistake with the AR platform, although laudable with bolt rifles.  Contorting your head down low is a very slow and awkward way to go.  Been there, done that - cost money. 
The A2 front sight will just show up as a indistinct blur in the bottom field of the scope on the lowest powers.  It will be absent from the FOV on the higher powers.

You will want something like these - the Hi-Rise Cantilever Scope Mount #AR0130T (pictured center) would be my choice with a normal scope because you need forward mounting latitude as well for proper eye relief ($60).
Advice is seldom welcome; and those who want it the most always like it the least.
[Lord Chesterfield]

He who dies with the most 22 LR ammo wins...

buckmeister

• SKS Expert
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 11:20:48 PM »
The front sight does not interfere. If seen at all, it is a faint blur.

buckmeister

ainfantry7

• Life Member
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • I bring ramen noodles to office potluck parties.
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 12:51:09 AM »
I concur with the previous posters...Will not interfere and Cantilever mounts are preferred as not to get in the way of you racking the charging handle.

yugoSKSJ

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 09:06:50 AM »
I just put one of those on mine,it's a RRA 20"HBAR. Love it,the sight can "just" barely be seen on the lowest power(3),but you almost have to try to see it,It's at the very bottom of your FOV if you see it.Anything higher power than 3,it's like it's not there. I like how I have it mounted now in the bottom 2 pics.I dont think there is a "wrong" way to mount it. I didnt want to move my head foward at all,just rest it on the stock so I reversed it. So go for it,you'll be fine. And I believe the center of the scope is roughly 1/4" or less higher than the front sight post. Best $50 I ever spent on a mount.60 for the cantilever mount as Frisco said.I really dont have a problem racking the handle,it is high enough to clear your hand.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 09:18:55 AM by yugoSKSJ »
:spam2:
No, his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permanent
But change is

qakman

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 05:56:09 PM »
The scope on mine sits a bit lower, however you still don't see the front site. Scope height would be a matter of comfort and different for each shooter. The closer to the center line of the bore the better. Shoulder your gun and have someone hold the scope where you like it and measure that.
Hey Moe, how can we shoot golf without guns

AlamoScout

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 06:24:11 PM »
I buy the Burris rings, they cost less than a solid mount. I also like the quick detachable ones like on the Aimpoint. Your not gonna see that front sight like others said, but you need to stay high with the scope or it's hard to charge. That's as low as I could go and be able to charge the rifle. I'm fat fingered.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 10:05:45 PM by AlamoScout »

Onepoint

• Administrator
  • SKS Guru
  • نعم أنا كافرة, شكور ل يسأل!
    • Gary's Gun Shop LLC - Torrington WY
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 09:54:23 PM »
Well just to bust your balls for fun, :)   The rifle loads from the bottom and charges from back. And you buy rings, not mounts. I buy mounts, one piece and usually cantilevered.

If you shoot an AR with irons in the proper position of nose to charge handle, then using a scope mount that puts the scope near even with the handle if not forward is a more natural position. 

Of course its your rifle and you can do what you want, even try loading it from the top.  :tongue3:
"War is not 'the best way of settling differences; it is the only way of preventing them being settled for you." - G.K.Chesterson /   "Reality is that which, when you refuse to believe, or stop believing in it, does not go away."

www.garysgunshopllc.com

AlamoScout

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 10:03:35 PM »
Well just to bust your balls for fun, :)   The rifle loads from the bottom and charges from back. And you buy rings, not mounts. I buy mounts, one piece and usually cantilevered.

If you shoot an AR with irons in the proper position of nose to charge handle, then using a scope mount that puts the scope near even with the handle if not forward is a more natural position.  

Of course its your rifle and you can do what you want, even try loading it from the top.  :tongue3:

Oops.. Fixed it  :lol: Yea what he says.

buckmeister

• SKS Expert
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 11:34:09 PM »
The nose to charging handle is to maintain a repeatable, consistent checkweld and sight picture. Some don't use it, and are able to maintain consistency.

Badger TAC latches (or the like) help charging a scope mounted weapon. Another avenue is to use a side-charging upper.

The cantilevered scope mounts are primarily used to move the scope as far forward due to eye relief. Larue makes the best quick detach (QD) cantilever mount... also one of the most expensive. RRA and Armalite are good choices; I've used both. The Burris PEPR is an inexpensive and promising newcomer. Look for locking or recoil lugs on the underside of the mount. It helps hold zero when the scope/mount is removed and remounted. Leopold makes a good set of OD rings if a cantilevered mount in not needed.

If you are going to use back up iron sights (BUIS), then you will need a mount that is high enough to clear the folded BUIS. There are charts detailing the various BUIS and mount heights.

Read and research. Many have been down this road and have a parts box full of "attempts to get it right". If I had to do it all over again, I'd go Larue.

buckmeister

Messiah Jones

• SKS Guru
    • Zombie Squad
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 01:28:00 AM »

I guess if I knew how high a scope would need to sit above the rail to equal the height of a standard carry handle peep sight I could start there. I have no problem with the cheek weld when using iron sights.
"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Frisco Pete

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 12:36:07 PM »
You can look at it this way - they didn't design AR-scope-specific stuff like that RRA  hi-rise scope mount just willy-nilly.  It is that height because that height works well for most people with the AR.
Advice is seldom welcome; and those who want it the most always like it the least.
[Lord Chesterfield]

He who dies with the most 22 LR ammo wins...