Author Topic: "Accurizing" an sks?  (Read 3010 times)

xSMOKExLESSxCRACKx

• SKS Newbie
"Accurizing" an sks?
« on: March 20, 2011, 02:22:08 AM »
Hey fellas.

Has anyone toyed with the idea of modding their sks specifically for accuracy? I see all kinds of bubba'd sks's modified to be more AK'ish in their function and a few here and there done up with a bi-pod and scope.

But, I never really here of anyone going much further than that besides perhaps a "$0.25" trigger job.(Though I did notice the Kivaari's trigger section down in the retail area.) 

I realize that to many, its just the nature of the beast with both ak's and sks's to buy them cheap and feed them the cheapest corrosive Combloc surplus that can be found by the caseload.

Has anyone really tried to wring the last bit of accuracy out of this rifle? Has anybody tried things like glass bedding, free floating the barrel(as much as can be done.),adding a really good trigger(like the above mentioned Kivaari), using a decent scope and mount, good newly manufactured ammo( Hornady v-max, Cor-bon DPX), and putting that combination into a good solid stock(Choate?).

I'm very curious to know just how accurate these things can be if I were to really put the effort into one.Anyone have some good results from accurizing their sks?

DILLIGAF

• SKS Newbie
Re: "Accurizing" an sks?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 06:40:05 AM »
Go on youtube and check out the videos on trigger job... Easy to do yourself... with some new wolff springs

I started shimming my stock with aluminium tape on all contact areas from the stock to the receiver.

Binky

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 07:52:20 AM »
The trigger is the first mod to help with accuracy. I did mine myself, but I have machining experience. go with a pro if you don't. I also have an m-14 and I transferred as many 'National match' mods as I could to my sks. They really did improve accuracy significantly. But, the sks is not ever going to be a match rifle, and to try is fruitless.

Gibson_GM

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 09:50:14 AM »
The trigger is the first mod to help with accuracy. I did mine myself, but I have machining experience. go with a pro if you don't. I also have an m-14 and I transferred as many 'National match' mods as I could to my sks. They really did improve accuracy significantly. But, the sks is not ever going to be a match rifle, and to try is fruitless.

+10.    You can get a lot by working the sear and hammer contact surfaces (be CAREFUL, and TEST IT for safety!!  A mistake there can make the gun GO OFF UNEXPECTEDLY).  If in doubt, again, there are several folks on here who would do it for you for a nominal fee.   Other than that, and maybe some tape at contact points, etc., you're not gonna do much better than what you've already got.   That trigger (I call it 'the sand bar that fires the rifle') is the #1 issue, and you'll get 50x out of it what you put into it! 
READ THIS SITE: especially the safety stuff.  MUCHO IMPORTANT:
http://votefordavid.blogspot.com/2008/04/improving-trigger-on-sks-rifle.html

Have to put those disclaimers in -we want you to keep posting and not be on the coroner's table!!   :shock:  Any monkeying with triggers has the potential to result in tragedy for the shooter or a bystander...
Run for your life from any man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leperís bell of an approaching looter.  Ayn Rand

Akunamatata

• SKS Expert
    • Long Island Firearms
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 01:29:00 PM »
I've heard of yugo SKS's that can get 1.25" groups at 100 yards with a polished trigger, gas valve off, and a scope. That's about as good as 7.62x39 can get if you ask me... Maybe someone could pull off sub 1" groups with a great barrel, match ammo, match trigger, bedded stock, and benchrest... but that sort of defeats the point of having an SKS for most people, since most buy it just to have a cheap eating plinker.

You should build one, then post pics of how it turns out... It's sort of a nonsensical, but yet interesting, idea that I would like to see. Dont listen to any nay sayers, this hobby is all about doing doing silly things then bragging about it.   :roll: 8)  :roll:
"Die, my dear? Why that's the last thing I'll do!"

-Groucho Marx, funny till the end

jdscholer

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 02:04:00 PM »
Welcome x.  You've dived right into one of the most hashed over topics around here;  and one that I'm always thinking about. 
Be forewarned, you will read numerous accounts of one or two inch groups at 100 yds., but REAL photos of REAL five shot groups at a REAL 100 yard range, are suspiciously lacking. :roll:
I think ammunition is ONE of the most important considerations, and is often overlooked because so few guys reload for this caliber.  A few of us do, and you can find info about it on the reloading board. 
I'm hoping someone will find the magic bullet, and maybe you're the guy.  jd
No man is born so stupid or worthless that he has nothing to teach me.

On my worst day, I may find someone whose day I can improve.

xSMOKExLESSxCRACKx

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 05:38:40 PM »
I've heard of yugo SKS's that can get 1.25" groups at 100 yards with a polished trigger, gas valve off, and a scope.

Thats actually about what I was hoping for.

Binky, can you elaborate on what M-14 mods you transfered over to your sks? How much did it improve?

The vision I've had rolling around in my skull is that of a short-medium range(200-300yrds) DMR type setup.

An sks would provide ammo compatibility with my ak for lots of cheap practice.  With the higher quality(read:expensive) ammo used for accuracy,hunting,zombies, accurately hunting zombies...  you know...whatever.

X - Man

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 05:54:00 PM »
I've posted at some earlier time, on this site,  on how I reworked my SKS. It will shoot at 3 moa @ 100 yards using Wolf 123 gr. hollow tip ammo.

The receiver was bedded to the stock. The original stock fit was terrible and very loose. Did the usual trigger job. Made a mod that made it easy and dependable to use a detachable magazine. And designed a barrel stiffening strut. These improvements make for a nice shooter.

Before the changes this SKS was shooting wider than 6" @ 100y.

Binky

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 07:44:34 PM »
I've posted at some earlier time, on this site,  on how I reworked my SKS. It will shoot at 3 moa @ 100 yards using Wolf 123 gr. hollow tip ammo.

The receiver was bedded to the stock. The original stock fit was terrible and very loose. Did the usual trigger job. Made a mod that made it easy and dependable to use a detachable magazine. And designed a barrel stiffening strut. These improvements make for a nice shooter.

Before the changes this SKS was shooting wider than 6" @ 100y.
Sure, anything loose got tightned, handguard was peened to remove any loose, choate mount to receiver, stock fit was tight on the reciever so that was good, slightly bent front lower ferrule to tighten stock fit, removed cleaning rod, bayo and cleaning kit to 'clean' up overall harmonics, any slide or contact spots, loading area of chamber, bolt contact surfaces etc got polished, as mentioned trigger job and ALL contact points polished, and was getting about 3 moa with surplus ammo at 100yrd. good enough for hunting

Hillbilly61

• SKS Guru
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 12:37:16 AM »
Wasn't there was a thread of close title and theme within this forum in the last 6 months or so?

Flyingmonkeys

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 12:50:05 AM »
I can't wait to show you what I have done towards these ends.  I have taken bubba to a new higher level where you have to use a capital b. Hahah.  Seriously it will shock you but I think all of you will appreciate it.  It came about from too much time laying in cat scans thinking like carbine williams....lol.  I will have it finished soon and I will post all the pics and info. I'm so anxious for you all to see it.
"As it is above, so it is below"
     W.G. A & A F M No: 84

perry500

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 08:47:49 AM »
wolff performance spring pack is a good start. if u want scope a choate reciver mout is good. have ur barrel crown helps . if u want drop mag. and 20 round mags, get tapco mags and check out www.trulytactical.com and they have a conversion where u mod the tapco sks mags. a mag release and will do mod on ur bolt pretty reasonable.

jdscholer

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 09:20:24 AM »
I'm starting to get a little interest in disabling my gas system to see what kind of results I get accuracy wise.  Easy to do on a Yugo I guess, but I'm Norinco.  Anyone done it and compared results?  jd
No man is born so stupid or worthless that he has nothing to teach me.

On my worst day, I may find someone whose day I can improve.

perry500

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 11:59:01 AM »
tap the gas port and put a set screw in it. make sure u dont put it in the barrel, OK?

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 12:36:48 PM »
tap the gas port and put a set screw in it. make sure u dont put it in the barrel, OK?

Why would you do that? :?
Proudly making the world a safer place, one dirtbag at a time....