Author Topic: Mosin Nagant Sporter (cutting, grinding, welding, painting) UPDATED WITH PICS  (Read 6584 times)

projo198

• FAILING AT LIFE, BUT DOING IT GLORIOUSLY.
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • <<amazingly witty comment>>
Ok so I am well into the Mosin Nagant project my buddy ahs asked me to do for him. He is deployed right now and gets back mid-April, so I had to hurry on this.

First I wen't rifle shopping. After looking for awhile I found 2 Mosin's at a local pawn shop, an M44 and 91/30. I like the carbines, but this 91/30 was a hex receiver and was dated 1924. I thought the 91/30s didn't start until 1930, so do I have a Dragoon?

I ended up buying the "long one" for $108 out the door and took it home. NO I DID NOT CHOP THIS RIFLE LOL! Instead I switched it for my own 91/30 dated 1939, which was a clean shooter and good for a project gun.

First thing I did was pull the receiver and stripped it. Then I chopped some 5 inches off the barrel, it is now at just over 23 inches from bolt face. I would have liked to have it re-crowned, but with everything else I ordered I was coming close to the budget I was on. I measured the cut with a stock cutter, made the cut with a hacksaw and measured/filed/,measured/filed until I had a good square muzzle. Then I slightly tapered the inside with the round head of a flat-tip bolt (Midway trick I learned on the internet) and tapered the outside with a file. Once complete I plan on test firing and if I don't like the accuract I will turn it in for crowning.

After this was done I undid the rear leaf site and tapped the mount from the barrel. This was a REAL PITA. The rear site mount was soldered on and I didn't have any gas for my torch. It took awhile but pounded of. If you plan on doing this I suggest using heat. Ince off I grinded the flanges on the barrel, welded the pin holes closed and smoothed it all out. Then the whole receiver got a rub down in preparation for paint. First wire wheel, then rough sndpaper, then 600 grit.

Tonight the down-turned bolt handle kit and scope mount should arrive. Not worried drilling and tapping for the scope mount, but the handle has me worried as I have read mixed reviews. I am going to try and bolt it on, but if it turns out crappy I am just going to weld it.

Then the receiver goes into paint. I have a guy close who quoted me 150-200 for duracoating, but a buddy here (GreatGuns) tuened me on to a guy in Kansas City who does Gun Koating. Gonna call him today. The first guy I found does a cool kind of "stainless" coating with clearcoat on top that looks nice. That is kind of what I am looking for.

Also have the ATI Mosin stock on the way, but managed to find the camoflauged one by Mossy Oak. I plan to finish the rifle off with a swivel mounted bipod, Bushnell 3-9 x30 scope and nice sling.

I will post pics tonight. Thoughts? Suggestions?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 10:20:43 AM by projo198 »
Joint our Secret Santa exchange this year!!

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=125090.0;topicseen

jswledhed

• SKS Sniper
Could be an ex-Dragoon.  Many Dragoon rifles were converted to 91/30 configurations.  I think the most obvious changes were to the sights.  The Dragoon, and Cossack, rifles used a curved rear sight leaf and an unprotected blade front sight.  91/30s have a flat rear sight leaf and a post inside a globe for the front sight.
I've experiments to run.  There is research to be done on the people who are still alive.

http://www.gigabikes.com/

projo198

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
Could be an ex-Dragoon.  Many Dragoon rifles were converted to 91/30 configurations.  I think the most obvious changes were to the sights.  The Dragoon, and Cossack, rifles used a curved rear sight leaf and an unprotected blade front sight.  91/30s have a flat rear sight leaf and a post inside a globe for the front sight.

Gotcha, check out the thread above this for a pic I posted. I started another because I didn't want to get the two topics mixed up in this project thread.

ARTONY92

• SKS Guru
  • Barrel Shroud- That shoulder thing that goes up
    • Youtube
/thread
a buddy of mine i know from the gun shows bought this bubba'd mosin off of me, he worked on the bent bolt a bit, and put it in his custom made stock (he does metal work)

projo198

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
That's pretty slick. I like the stock rest on the bottom. Neat idea.

I considered going the tactical route, but decided to keep it subtle and understated.

I prtety much had full reign on this project, he doesn't even want to see it until he gets back.

projo198

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
Ok here's some pics.

Here is the receiver and magazine all stripped. I grinded off the rear site mount and shortened the barrel by a few inches. It is now about 2-3 inches longer than a Mosin carbine.

Here is the receiver drilled and tapped for the ATI scope mount. BE VERY SURE TO GET THIS STRAIGHT THE FIRST TIME.... I measured at least a THOUSAND TIMES and the mount still looked canted when I bolted it on. I ended up grinding one side of the bottom of the mount to get it to sit level.

Here is the muzzle I re-crowned. It looks crooked in the pic but it is a very straight cut.

And here is the bolt handle. I'm not really happy with it only bolted on, so I plan on welding it as soon as the stock arrives and I am sure the handle fits right.

Next step is getting the metal painted, then mounting everything up.

Scratch

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
    • Edgemetalworks.net
Great pics.  I'm planning on doing a MN up with a scope and new stock also.  I'm curious as to how you like that scope mount.  I'll be looking for one too.

projo198

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
Great pics.  I'm planning on doing a MN up with a scope and new stock also.  I'm curious as to how you like that scope mount.  I'll be looking for one too.

It's really the only option you have unless you use the leaf site mount they make or mod your own.

I like it; pretty solid and works well with the bolt handle it comes with. I do wish is had more slots in it, I think there are only 4. Not a lot of mounting options.

tobkis

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
Here is one of my Mosin Nagants stocks, it is solid and adjust for other shooters.....works great.

ALWAYS HAVE AN EXIT.......

fishguy1313

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
  • #13 #13 #13 #13 #13
That's pretty slick.

e3mrk

• SKS Gunsmith
Talk about making a Silk Purse out of a Sow's Ear, That is Beautiful! Great Job.

Heimdhal

• This is breakfast?
  • Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • www.hhholsters.com
    • Heimdhals Hybrid Holsters
Whats with all the cutting down of the barrels?  Use every inch you got on them things.  You arent clearing buildings with it, you're using it for distance shooting and accuracy, why would you cut the barrel down and lose all that advantage?  :?
"I saw that the State was half-witted, that it was timid as a lone woman with her silver spoons, and that it did not know its friends from its foes, and I lost all remaining respect for it, and pitied it."
--Henry David Thoreau

projo198

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
Whats with all the cutting down of the barrels?  Use every inch you got on them things.  You arent clearing buildings with it, you're using it for distance shooting and accuracy, why would you cut the barrel down and lose all that advantage?  :?

Because that is what my friend asked me to do to it when I told him I would build it.

Hillbilly61

• SKS Guru
Here is one of my Mosin Nagants stocks, it is solid and adjust for other shooters.....works great.

So you are saying the cheek rest is adjustable? If my interpretation is correct, that is the bomb!  8) The clean sporterized look is great too. Not too pretentious at all.  8)

tobkis

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
Yes, springs on each hex bolt. You gotta love Ace Hardware  :)
ALWAYS HAVE AN EXIT.......