Author Topic: .44 magnum snub nose  (Read 4179 times)

Ericman

• SKS Expert
.44 magnum snub nose
« on: January 16, 2006, 04:51:25 PM »
Do they make em? and if so are therye any problems with it, im looking for an S&W model.
Dont live in Mass

SKS_Madman

• SKS Guru
.44 magnum snub nose
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 04:53:16 PM »
No problem with a revolver whatever the barrel length. Beware of recoil though, .44mags are big kickers even with long barrels.
check back for something clever later.

Dirigo

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • John has a long mustache
.44 magnum snub nose
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 04:54:39 PM »
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=27829&langId=-1&isFirearm=Y
well, the short barrel wont affect the cycling, but, you will deffinately know when it goes off

docbuckhead

.44 magnum snub nose
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 05:25:38 PM »
HUGE waste of money!!!

Magnum rounds require longer (6 inches or more) of barrel to take advantage of the ballistic potential of the cartridge.

Snubnose magnums, firing magnum rounds,  have way too much blast, flash, recoil and ejecta to make them effective SD weapons.

They just look cool.

etdbob

• SKS Sniper
.44 magnum snub nose
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 06:49:14 PM »
Well, I handload for the .44 mag and I'm sure I could have fun with a "Snubbie" But shoot full power loads through it? Your kidding, right?  :shock:

The S&W Mountain gun with a 4" barrel is as light a .44 as I'd want.
"F*ck nationalism of any kind. It's a bandwagon for morons." - Chris

For Liberty and Responsibility

~kev~

• SKS Sniper
    • survival gear reviews
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 07:28:53 PM »
If you are looking for a mag. be sure to chek out the 41 magnum before you make your buy.

Frisco Pete

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
.44 magnum snub nose
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 03:58:27 PM »
The fact that you can use .44 Special ammo in a .44 Magnum that is a very effective round with a good history of stops in a much lighter recoiling load is your best bet for recoil management.  IMO you would never notice a drop in effectiveness over the .44 Mag in a short barrel and recoil recovery time would be faster.
There have been .44 Special (only) short bbl. revolvers over the years and this may be a better answer.  The .45 Colt (some call the "long colt") is another excellent - slow but heavy bullet/large frontal area - round that can be found in snubbie self-defense revolvers that would essentially be the same thing.
Advice is seldom welcome; and those who want it the most always like it the least.
[Lord Chesterfield]

He who dies with the most 22 LR ammo wins...

phil

• SKS Marksman
.44 magnum snub nose
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 04:44:46 PM »
A friend of mine carries a Charter bulldog in .44 mag but loads it with specials.  It's very manageable & pretty smooth.  Out of a short barreled gun, you're not going to get any more effectiveness from the magnum load than from the special load.  Unless muzzle flash & burns are part of what you want your assailant to have.  I'm thinking of getting just this gun if I can pick one up for a decent price & loading it only with specials or downloaded magnums so as to not faoul the cylinder walls as much as with the shorter round.

docbuckhead

.44 magnum snub nose
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 12:15:51 AM »
Quote from: phil
A friend of mine carries a Charter bulldog in .44 mag but loads it with specials.  It's very manageable & pretty smooth.  Out of a short barreled gun, you're not going to get any more effectiveness from the magnum load than from the special load.  Unless muzzle flash & burns are part of what you want your assailant to have.  I'm thinking of getting just this gun if I can pick one up for a decent price & loading it only with specials or downloaded magnums so as to not faoul the cylinder walls as much as with the shorter round.

Not really.

Unless they snuck one by me, Charter' Arms /Charter 2000 has never made a .44 Mag.

If you want a big caliber snubby (I don't know why anyone would, except as a fun gun)

Stick with .44 Spl, .45LC, .45AR, or .45ACP .

ANY magnum pressured round (.357, .41, .44, 10mm) are way too stout for snubnose pistols.

I've owned 'em and shot 'em - Magnum rounds and short barrels just don't make any sense.

phil

• SKS Marksman
.44 magnum snub nose
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 02:51:22 PM »
It's the Bulldog Pug.  My mistake, just a .44 special revolver.

chupacabrachus

• SKS Marksman
.44 magnum snub nose
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 02:00:35 AM »
Quote from: docbuckhead

Snubnose magnums, firing magnum rounds,  have way too much blast, flash, recoil and ejecta to make them effective SD weapons.
They just look cool.

Au contraire, I've got a 2" barrel .357 mag.  and it's extremely managable.  However, the barrel is ported, which makes a world of difference.  The muzzle flash isn't as bad as you would expect either, I've shot it before once the sun went down a few times just to experience the muzzle flash.  It was only about the size of a softball at the end of the barrel.  Nothing too out of hand.
Chus estaba aquí.

docbuckhead

.44 magnum snub nose
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 02:12:58 AM »
Quote from: chupacabrachus
Quote from: docbuckhead

They just look cool.

Au contraire, I've got a 2" barrel .357 mag.  and it's extremely managable.  However, the barrel is ported, which makes a world of difference.  The muzzle flash isn't as bad as you would expect either, I've shot it before once the sun went down a few times just to experience the muzzle flash.  It was only about the size of a softball at the end of the barrel.  Nothing too out of hand.

I apologise, I should have said firing TRUE magnum rounds.

SAAMI lowered the MAX PSI on .357 about 10 years or so ago, and unless you handload (see rbstern , this board) you are essentially firing what is, ballistically speaking, the equivalent of a 9mm +P round (when the .357 is fired from anything much shorter than a 4 inch barrreled revolver).

And that's not too bad.

If you were to load something comparable to the  1970's vintage 125 grain Super Vel's in your snubby and fire them, you'd know what I mean.

chupacabrachus

• SKS Marksman
.44 magnum snub nose
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2006, 02:03:27 AM »
I guess I wouldn't know since I didn't exist in the 70's.
Chus estaba aquí.

docbuckhead

.44 magnum snub nose
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2006, 03:39:23 AM »
I hear ya-

Sad to say, the .357 Magnum of today (Commercial Loadings) has been pretty emasculated in comparison to its former self.

The .357 was of course, originally chamber in the N frame Smith's, and now that they chamber it in revolvers as small as a slightly beefed up J frame, it's probably wise to have reduced its "accepted" power.

It's Legend lives on, but for the non-handloader, that's pretty much all it is - Legend.

88tc

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
.44 magnum snub nose
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2006, 08:03:24 PM »
If you want alot of power in a small package check out the Ruger Alaskan. It's a super redhawk with a 2.5" barrel chambered in .454 casull, but you can also fire the milder and cheaper .45 long colt ammo. But so you know with the .454 ammo it is not a plinker. It is designed for protection from dangerous game up close.