Author Topic: I screwed up! Helwan 9mm.  (Read 4913 times)

vz2452

• SKS Gunsmith
  • Rifles in avitar last seen in Gulf of Mexico.
I screwed up! Helwan 9mm.
« on: April 18, 2011, 11:17:18 AM »
Went to a gunshow yesterday and made some money, and like always can't make it out the door with it all. Bought a Helwan pistol. Always wanted one and it seemed like a good price. That was until I got it home and found out that I failed to notice that the right grip panel was cracked that it shattered when I took it off to try to reinforce it with some gorrilla glue. But that isn't as bad as when I figured out how to take it apart and found that the both lugs on the locking block are sheired off. A quick search on the internet informed me that I am pretty F*(^. :(. I got myself a nice little $200 paper wieght.

I guess stuff like this happens in life. Learn and move on.

Onepoint

• Administrator
  • SKS Guru
  • نعم أنا كافرة, شكور ل يسأل!
    • Gary's Gun Shop LLC - Torrington WY
Re: I screwed up! Helwan 9mm.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 11:48:00 AM »
All is not lost, if 2ndsight  doesn't chime in, do a search and/ or PM him about his experimentation with the locking blocks.

Replacement grips if you get it running again. -  http://vintagegungrips.net/hepigr2.html

"War is not 'the best way of settling differences; it is the only way of preventing them being settled for you." - G.K.Chesterson /   "Reality is that which, when you refuse to believe, or stop believing in it, does not go away."

www.garysgunshopllc.com

2ndsight

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • De Oppresso Liber
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 05:25:04 PM »
keep an eye on gun broker I seen 2 locking blocks a few months ago

if you have a friend with a cnc I have the 3d model to tool path

you can even fit one from a Beretta but that would be a lot of filing and grinding you can find them for 35 dollars if you know where to look http://www.berettausa.com/products/92/96-locking-block-kit/default.aspx

I got rid of mine some one begged me for it because it was intact.

what is the importer marking interarms 50 50 with Arabic writing bingo home run best metallurgy

Always take a Helwan apart Always check locking blocks for cracks and being missing oucha. Aways check the locking block set screw if loose it will let the locking block ride side ways battering it to pieces. Helwans it is what it is I like them but my next on will be sporting the A.R.E. with Arabic the slide is completely heat treated not spot treated like the Interarms.

Out of the 4 I had none of the locking blocks failed aways lock tight the set screw If you do not have a set screw get one. I know the newer Berettas do not have a locking screw but the parts are bigger and made to withstand more abuse.

http://www.freesteader.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9536

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=79795.0
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 05:38:04 PM by 2ndsight »

Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas
Potestas stricte interpretatur In dubiis, non praesumitur pro potentia

Michigander

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 05:45:05 PM »
Find a good machine shop or gunshop with a good smith and have them fab it for you with 2ndsight's drawing. That's what they are there for! Plus the new part would almost definitely be way stronger than any originals.

I've always found that the trick with hard or impossible to find parts for bikes, cars or guns is to make it yourself, or to hire a machinist.
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.

Thomas Jefferson

vz2452

• SKS Gunsmith
  • Rifles in avitar last seen in Gulf of Mexico.
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 10:12:52 PM »
This one has Arabic writing on the right side of the slide and the import markings with the A.R.E on the left. From what I read thats a suplus pistol. The rest of the pistol is in pretty good condtion. No burring, gouging, or excessive wear  on the moving parts. Just some holster usage wear.

Might as well make a project gun. Find a way to get a locking block, then try it out and see if anything else needs replaced or fixed. Then refinish it, costumize it, torture it or what ever else I see fit. Not gonna get my money back as it is so I might as well go all out on it.

kalash

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 05:45:40 AM »
For that much money you could have bought a real izzy beretta.

Beretta Model 1951 9mm. Gardone V.T.-Italia. From Israel. Fair to Good original finish, minor dings and scratches. NO magazines with this particular lot. Clearence sale on what we have left. Also parts and parts guns. Drop us a line on what you are interested in or need.
$199.00

Goran

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 03:56:28 PM »
I got myself a nice little $200 paper wieght.

:roll:

2ndsight

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • De Oppresso Liber
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 08:20:06 PM »
hint dansammo

Onepoint

• Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 08:55:36 PM »
Dang that is tempting.
"War is not 'the best way of settling differences; it is the only way of preventing them being settled for you." - G.K.Chesterson /   "Reality is that which, when you refuse to believe, or stop believing in it, does not go away."

www.garysgunshopllc.com

BigBill

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 12:01:14 PM »
The helwan pistols do look interesting but the word on the net wasn't good about them from what i have read. 
I haven't looked at the beretta's yet.

I found the star pistols in 9mm more interesting they seem ok with the ones i have.  For a pistol in 9mm largo the LLama extra (1911 clone) in 9mm largo seems to be the best but its a real 1911 clone size wise and heavy too.

Onepoint

• Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 03:18:04 PM »
Just to give a quick run down on these for those who don't know, they are the forerunner of the Beretta 92 series.  Single action like 1911, Fixed sight, bottom mag release single stack mags.  Slimmer, slightly smaller and lighter than the 92.  The Beretta 951 also suffered from the locking block failure, just not near as much as the Helwans because of better metallurgy. For that matter that is one of the weaknesses of the 92, however its an easy to replace part in them, not so for the 951s anymore. 

The Helwan was my 1st semiauto pistol, bought it new in the box in 1987 for $115 IIRC.  I bought a couple since as well and have sold them as time went, one having the lock block give way and the other to make room for other pistols.  None I paid or sold for near $200, seems like they are getting slightly collectible now.   Getting a real surplussed Beretta for that kind of money seems like a heck of a deal to me. 

www.garysgunshopllc.com

2ndsight

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • De Oppresso Liber
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 11:37:15 PM »
I like the pattern it is one of my favorite pistolas first hipowers then 1911's then the helwans and the like.