Author Topic: Just got my first SKS. Have some questions....Thanks - Pics  (Read 2329 times)

Paulinski

Just got my first SKS. Have some questions....Thanks - Pics
« on: January 17, 2006, 08:12:53 PM »
Hi All

I just acquired my first SKS it a Chineese Norinco SKS with a datachable magazine.  I would like to find out more information about this gun.

I came with two mags 5 rd and 20rd plugged to 5 due to canadian laws.

Its got no provision for bayonet and I belive its the 20.5" barrel. The receiver has no factory stamp only the following information

SKS-D 02 652XX
                                       MADE IN CHINA

Came with Ultralux 4x25 scope and Leapers scope mount. Is this scope decent or its this an el cheapo scope? I bought it at a gun show just stripped it and could not belive how dirty it was.  
I have a question regarding oiling? Where should I apply coat of oil.  Lastly I also got 120 rounds of TCW Russian ammo. The box says non corrosive  Is this ammo any good. I it also came with a sling but I took it off. I'll try to post pics when I find a place to host them.

Thanks in advance and apologies for so many question.

Paul

engineer2001

• SKS Gunsmith
Re: Just got my first SKS. Have some questions....Thanks
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 09:10:03 PM »
Quote from: Paulinski
I just acquired my first SKS it a Chineese Norinco SKS with a datachable magazine.  I would like to find out more information about this gun.

http://www.sksboards.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=440

Came with Ultralux 4x25 scope and Leapers scope mount. Is this scope decen or its this an el cheapo scope?

It isn't a top of the line model but it certianly isn't the cheapest one around.  If you like the amount of magnification (personal preference) it should be pretty good.  I prefer at least 6x, to make me feel like I'm getting a better view, but 4x is good for the SKS range of effectiveness.  I think the Leapers scope mount is the best and least-invasive I have seen (no drilling or tapping. but it is still stable).

Where should I apply coat of oil.

Pretty much everywhere metal (light oil) except the bolt/firing pin and inside of the gas tube.  Here are 2 pages showing how to properly clean an SKS:  
http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/skscleangreylocke.htm
http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/cleaning/hs.asp

Lastly I also got 120 rounds of TCW Russian ammo. The box says non corrosive. Is this ammo any good.

Russian ammo is about all I have ever used.  TCW is about the same as the Ulyanovsk ammo I use (it originally comes military packed in a sealed metal SPAM can in boxes of 20).

It also came with a sling but I took it off.

Why?  Slings are great!
engineer2001
I pity da foo.

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Livin the life.
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 12:21:01 PM »
Email me the pics and ill post them for you if you like?
You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him.

MD20748SPEAKS

• SKS Expert
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 05:00:14 PM »
Looks like Canada gets what we can't.  SKS-D with that 20.5" barrel.  I have one from '87, seems like yours is a 20-02 from the serial number.  Looks like you're "on" with the rifle.  "Are these AK mags?,"  not duck-bills types.  You'll like it am sure.  Enjoy.  They say you guys are getting recent production models.  Right on for free trade, "O Canada!" :D  Slings will be needed for carrying weapon and firing from the standing position.  You can carry more than one to a location with a sling without huffing and dropping one. :oops:
IF YOU DIDN'T LEARN IT YESTERDAY, THERE'S HOPE YOU'LL UNDERSTAND IT TODAY

Paulinski

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 05:47:27 PM »

LV03TJ

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 07:31:12 PM »
that's a great lookin' "D" ya got there. If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay? I payed $350. for mine about 3 years ago.

faawrenchbndr

• SKS Expert
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 08:09:23 PM »
Paulinski,

Very nice!  :D
Freedom......
earned by few.....enjoyed by many!

Paulinski

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 10:23:41 PM »
I paid $260 US for rifle and spare mag, sling and scope with mount.

dropped_71chevy

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 12:55:01 AM »
Very nice looking rifle.