Author Topic: SKS iron sight options  (Read 4470 times)

BCSKS

• SKS Marksman
SKS iron sight options
« on: April 26, 2011, 04:40:45 PM »
So I have decided to not scope my sks paratrooper. However I would like to change the stock iron sights I have on there now. i am coming here to figure out what combinations and set ups people have come up with before I buy anything. I want something that is reversible and will shrink my groups I have so far been considering the tech-sights, mojo rear peep, and williams fire sights front post and rear peep. I so far am shying away from the tech sights because I do not like removing them every time I  clean. I kinda of like the red of the williams fires sight front post, but it's not windage adjustable and I have read alot of reviews where people have gone back to the stock post. Should I just paint the front post florescent red and the rear blade sight some sort of green. I have it in a black tapco stock, so if I can get the sights to stick out that is good. What combinations have worked for fellow sks shooters? Also, can Ak-47 front sights fit on an sks?

john762

• SKS Marksman
  • ...everybody loves a happy volunteer...
Re: SKS iron sight options
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 05:02:24 PM »
Williams Peep that replaces the ladder...use the brass-ringed Twilight peep after you decide which apture size you prefer. It comes with a regular black peep,which some like the apture size & some go a size smaller...google it! The SKS & AK use the same front posts,many types... 8)
"Evolution/Revolution"

seanc

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 05:17:03 PM »
What do you have for the front sight base?  I have the Prince para front sight and the Williams firesight front sight won't fit unless a slot is cut for it.  I just have the Williams peep in back and standard post up front and it does well.
Land of Lincoln

BCSKS

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 08:18:08 PM »
I have the factory paratrooper front sight base. Might gamble on rear peep and just paint front post.

seanc

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 11:04:24 AM »
If you've got the factory front sight base, go for the full firesight kit.  I really liked it on my Yugo before I cut it and I also had it on a Chineese para I had for a short time.  The front firesight sight really does pop, even with the factory rear sight.
Land of Lincoln

BCSKS

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 03:43:14 PM »
Has anybody had any luck fitting an AK47 after market peep sight, such as the Ultimak or krebs, onto an sks rear sight base?

norinco804

• SKS Shooter
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 05:39:45 PM »
ameri-glo makes a glow in the dark front post for the sks/ak. i installed one an promptly removed it. i felt like it detracted from my accuracy.

Pflug

• SKS Guru
  • SKS CLIP
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 06:16:00 PM »
Going with a thinner front post seems to be the easiest and most functional sight modification
If you don't know, shut yer hole

john762

• SKS Marksman
  • ...everybody loves a happy volunteer...
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 06:17:25 PM »
Has anybody had any luck fitting an AK47 after market peep sight, such as the Ultimak or krebs, onto an sks rear sight base?
I believe the AK base is much narrower at the pins than an SKS :evil:...or vice-versa :shock:........................ 8)
"Evolution/Revolution"

blua_hammer

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 02:44:06 AM »
This is what I plan on using http://riflestocks.com/store/product64.html , they sell a conversion front sight base to use any of the ar15 front sight posts on an ak47 which is the same as the sks , then I would go with the ts200 tech sight in the rear http://www.tech-sights.com/sks.htm , I have found that so far all ak sights interchange with the sks...Food for thought, the standard length sks barrel is 20" so all the factory sks rear sights are set up for 20" barrels, the paratrooper sks has a 16" barrel which is the same length as the standard ak47 barrel & standard length ak47 rear sight,,I have a 22" long barrel sks "farmer's friend" which I use a rpk rear sight on which is ranged for an 22" rpk barrel.  8)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 03:08:10 AM by blua_hammer »
I've been a collector since 1986, My 1st center-fire rifle was my sks navy arms paratrooper in 1988.
I'm a certified gunsmith.
 N.A Paratrooper, N.A Farmers Friend uses AK mags, N.A Type 84,? Type 56 spiker, Tula, Alban, Romy, Yugo 59/66. Need DDR, N.Kore

BCSKS

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 04:21:22 PM »
After much internal debate and internet research, I ordered the Tech Sight Ts200 and a thinner front post. I still do not like having to remove to clean but the sight seems to return to zero pretty well. I hope that with some good ammo I can hammer out some good groups.

BCSKS

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 08:18:15 PM »
I recently installed the tech sights and thinner front sight post. I will post a range report on Monday, including a test to see if it truly will re-zero for me.

jrs

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 01:03:33 AM »
I just bought a mojo sight for my norinco & I love the sight picture. I haven't went to the range yet but I plan on changing out the stock front post soon to maybe a firesight. :)

Okami

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 05:34:08 PM »
This is what i did.
The Tech Sight thin front sight post is one of the best purchases i've made for my rifle.

Going with a thinner front post seems to be the easiest and most functional sight modification

CDWGATOR

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 10:47:56 AM »
I also kept the factory irons sights. Painted the front post hot pink and back sight white down to the bottom of the slot. Since i might use it while running deer, i didnt want a peep sight. Neither do i like the picaninny on the gas tube cover. It bothers me when quick sighting.