Author Topic: Better Accuracy and Match Grade Barrels for SKS..............??  (Read 8547 times)

DarkRaven

• SKS Newbie
I purchased an SKS from a friend and I got a hell of a deal, he sold me a Maverick 88 12gauge and a Russian SKS both for $225.00 I think I got a steal, anyway this is my first Russian rifle I took it out to the range last weekend and scoffed at the accuracy. I have 3 AR frames so I have been spoiled.. I am an experienced shooter and Veteran, and at 50 and 100 yards I shot maybe 60 percent on paper I ran about 175 rounds through it and adjusted the sites and even used natural compensation And still I am trying to get an eye for the sites anyway I would like to get the SKS as accurate as possible I have a Monte Carlo stock on order and a slotted pin on muzzle break I am also planning on getting a scope fitted to the top rear receiver cover from my local surplus store, anyway I cannot find anyone selling match barrels for the SKS , and yes I know "they are a battle rifle, not a precision instrument" but I have been shooting since I was 3 and ...well I sucked at the range last weekend. I know more goes into accuracy then the barrel and yes your hard pressed to free float an sks barrel, and all the doo dads attached to the barrels don't help but just curious how I can get better accuracy....any thoughts?

TXSailor

• SKS Gunsmith
Re: Better Accuracy and Match Grade Barrels for SKS..............??
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 08:31:36 PM »
I purchased an SKS from a friend and I got a hell of a deal, he sold me a Maverick 88 12gauge and a Russian SKS both for $225.00 I think I got a steal, anyway this is my first Russian rifle I took it out to the range last weekend and scoffed at the accuracy. I have 3 AR frames so I have been spoiled.. I am an experienced shooter and Veteran, and at 50 and 100 yards I shot maybe 60 percent on paper I ran about 175 rounds through it and adjusted the sites and even used natural compensation And still I am trying to get an eye for the sites anyway I would like to get the SKS as accurate as possible I have a Monte Carlo stock on order and a slotted pin on muzzle break I am also planning on getting a scope fitted to the top rear receiver cover from my local surplus store, anyway I cannot find anyone selling match barrels for the SKS , and yes I know "they are a battle rifle, not a precision instrument" but I have been shooting since I was 3 and ...well I sucked at the range last weekend. I know more goes into accuracy then the barrel and yes your hard pressed to free float an sks barrel, and all the doo dads attached to the barrels don't help but just curious how I can get better accuracy....any thoughts?

So let me get this straight... you want to bubba a Russian SKS?

You already have the AR...
Ensign, United States Navy

ilovemysksrifles

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 08:37:27 PM »
The Tech Sights (TS200) helped me considerably with my sks groupings:
http://www.tech-sights.com/
But......you have to remove the rear reciever cover pin & with a Russian, I would be very hesitant to modify it from its original condition.

Elfego El Gato

• SKS Expert
  • Commie girls and commie guns... Perfect together!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 08:52:43 PM »
50 yards and only 60% on paper? There's a lot more wrong with that scenario than not having a match-grade barrel. My bone-stock Yugo M59 will do 2-1/2 groups at 100 yards (unusual to be sure, but these are the results I've been getting, using surplus Yugo M67 ammo), even with the somewhat worn barrel, open sights, and my old eyes. Are you sure there isn't something else factoring in here? Are you shooting at a 1" square of paper? Seriously, those results just don't sound right...

KOOLmike

• MEMBER IS BANNED
  • SKS Guru
  • MEMBER IS BANNED
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 09:01:55 PM »
Welcome to the board!

My thoughts are that none of the stuff you ordered is going to help the accuracy if you can't even hit paper. What kind of shape is the bore and crown in on that rifle? Also, post some pics if you would.
MEMBER IS BANNED

DarkRaven

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 09:11:24 PM »
@ txsailor...What can I say I like to optimize every weopon I get!
@ elfego el gato.... "Your telling me,.... I am quite embarrassed by last weeks trip to the range, I know I am a better shot then that 'I can put rifled slugs through my smooth bore Mossberg into 15inch groups at 125yrds' so yeah when i went down range and seen only six holes in my 15inch dirtybird target after putting a full 20 rounds downrange I was really suprised that was at 100yrds with irons set on 1, I brought the target back to 50yrds
put the irons on zero and managed 11 shots out of 30 I don't remember the last time I shot just above 50%

hogjon13

• Proud to be a
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
  • I am not a number. I will not get on "The Bus"
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 09:55:15 PM »
I brought the target back to 50yrds
put the irons on zero and managed 11 shots out of 30 I don't remember the last time I shot just above 50%

Not to question your marksmanship capabilities, afterall shooting at 3 yrs old and all :roll: but I just pulled out my '53 Tula and Sino, both have Russian sights, and neither one has a "zero" setting on the rear sight. You might consider learning how to use the sighting system on your SKS.          :snorting:
O/O
Edit:   BTW  11/30 is less than 50%
Welcome aboard.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 10:23:35 PM by hogjon13 »
My last computer beat me at chess, but it wasn't worth a crap in a gunfight.

Those with little first-hand experience who dismiss or ignore the learned opinions of those more experienced are doomed to wander through life without a clue.

μολών λαβέ

RMXC51

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 12:09:22 AM »
FYI, the "zero" setting is also called the battle setting, and is averaged out to about 250 yards.

Its odd that the rifle can't perform better than that.  I'm just a "fun gun" target shooter, but all my SKS's can easily put 19/20 on paper at 100 yards using Czech surplus.  Something must be hinky with the rifle.
Who we are never changes - who we THINK we are, does.

AKBLUE

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 09:29:43 AM »
Try some different ammunition and some time at the range.  Your initial shooting/groupings (or lack there of) are not typical.  I am not aware of any off the shelf match grade barrels for the SKS.  There is a reason for that., not the least of which is the cost, the SKS platform as a match grade rifle and the cartidge as a match grade.  But I would guess that Pac Nor or someone could build a custom barrel for $500 to $600 and a smith to install, muzzle brake anoher $100 or so.  Should improve your groups with some US made high quality ammunition.  Good Luck and give a range report.

http://www.pac-nor.com/pricelist/
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 12:08:45 PM by AKBLUE »

Unforgiven

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 09:36:08 AM »
Bubba the Mav frame the Rus,........................for $225 for both this didn't happen without pictures

Chip Hazard

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 09:47:13 AM »
Like everyone else has said, it sounds like there is something wrong with the gun.  Could be why you got such a good deal.
"Nothing is True... Everything is Permitted"

Jack-O

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 09:55:23 AM »
My goodness, I think you'd be better off selling that russian.  you can get $300 out of it alone pretty easily.  if you still want an SKS after that then grab a yugo and mod that all you want.  those russian are hard to find anymore.

Ceddie

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • It’s bad luck to be superstitious…
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 10:13:43 AM »
Vice the rifle and see what kind of groups it gets once the human factor has been removed.

check the crown.

how does the trigger feel?

edited for spelling
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 10:55:50 AM by Ceddie »
Ceddie
~
Never trust a dude with a roll of visqueen and no plausible reason.~
A well armed hippie with a generally poor attitude about how the ‘left’ has chosen to redefine ‘liberalism’… LIVE & LET LIVE use to mean something.

thespork

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 10:35:29 AM »
It sounds like you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, but I wouldn't drop all kinds of $$$ into your SKS trying to turn it into some kind of high accuracy platform..

I say this as an SKS owner, but this is really just trying to make a silk purse out of sow's ear...

If you want accuracy and a military setup, go with some kind of AR. Or if you just want accuracy, go get a cheap, but still accurate bolt gun like a milsurp k31, or a Savage, or low end Weatherby, or even one of the cheaper Remchesters. They are going to shoot circles around your sks no matter how much spend on it..

boomer34

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • I've voted, now what?
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 11:15:31 AM »
Vice the rifle and see what kind of groups it gets once the human factor has been removed.

check the crown.

how does the trigger feel?

edited for spelling

I agree with this suggestion. Try to take the human factor out and just see what the rifle will do. I am a much older shooter than most here on the boards but I did a test with a Norinco Paratrooper for retrurn to zero using a relativity cheap scope and dust cover scope mount. There was a 10 shot string and then a 11 shot string at 50 yards. Basically the shots were consecutive. The ammo was Golden Tiger, one of the better Russian brands. My trigger dicipline in not good and I am hoping to have that improved with  the Kivaari trigger job being done on the trigger group now. The shots were taken from a sandbag rest, both front and back. The below target demonstrates what an SKS can do with my limited abilities as a shooter. I hope to improve with the better trigger.

Most of the SKS rifles should be able to do this or better unless the barrel is shot out. A bad batch of ammo can also be the problem.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained