Author Topic: Better Accuracy and Match Grade Barrels for SKS..............??  (Read 7986 times)

jswledhed

• SKS Sniper
Re: Better Accuracy and Match Grade Barrels for SKS..............??
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 11:58:34 AM »
What can I say I like to optimize every weopon I get!

None of what you've purchased or seek to purchase will do anything to "optimize" the SKS. :?

Someone else mentioned it and I'll say it again.  Sell it.  Use the money to "optimize" the Mossberg. 

Please don't irreversibly modify a Russian. :cry:
I've experiments to run.  There is research to be done on the people who are still alive.

http://www.gigabikes.com/

KOOLmike

• I Think I'm Special
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 12:17:42 PM »
What can I say I like to optimize every weopon I get!

None of what you've purchased or seek to purchase will do anything to "optimize" the SKS. :?

Someone else mentioned it and I'll say it again.  Sell it.  Use the money to "optimize" the Mossberg. 

Please don't irreversibly modify a Russian. :cry:

What he said.
Freedom is free when you let people be!

Wood: The Original FDE

Stolen Norinco SKS, Factory /26\, Serial Number 10107962, Stolen 9/4/2010 in Blue Springs, MO. Reward if found!

B0key

• SKS Sniper
  • C.M.R
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2011, 12:33:32 PM »
ill trade you a pre "optimized" norinco
"Whatever dont lie to me **********. I know you get on Skype to show wiener pictures with shaved tan guys named Chad!!!!" (ApexCypher)

"yes, yes i do"...(anonymous bear)

einherjar793

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011, 12:35:11 PM »
What jswledhed just posted absolutely hits the nail on the head. You'd end up spending way more money trying to make the sks a match type weapon than if you just bought any one of the other rifles already listed in this thread. There's only so much juice you can squeeze outta the fruit. Or something like that lol.

MakarovingCharges

• SKS Guru
  • Makarov: The OTHER CCW choice
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2011, 04:51:42 PM »
That just seems like there's more to the eye with that rifle. That's extremely poor accuracy. How is your precision? Sounds like there is a problem with that rifle somewhere.
Well, it's official. All three of the branches of the Federal Government are using the constitution as if it were TP. RIP Freedom and freewill the old republic has been replaced by a very potent kleptocracy. We're getting what we deserve, I guess.

KOOLmike

• I Think I'm Special
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2011, 04:55:04 PM »
What jswledhed just posted absolutely hits the nail on the head. You'd end up spending way more money trying to make the sks a match type weapon than if you just bought any one of the other rifles already listed in this thread. There's only so much juice you can squeeze outta the fruit. Or something like that lol.

Or..."Ya can't polish a turd, Pepper."
Freedom is free when you let people be!

Wood: The Original FDE

Stolen Norinco SKS, Factory /26\, Serial Number 10107962, Stolen 9/4/2010 in Blue Springs, MO. Reward if found!

DarkRaven

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2011, 04:58:14 PM »
Thanks for all the advice guys, I called the guy I got it from he said he had trouble with it as well but not near as bad as I did. He said he thinks the front sit post was driven down to far in the setting and therefore stripped. He said he was unable to unscrew it to change it out he told my to hold high and left about two minutes from where I want my zero. He didn't want to put any money into it by taking it to a smith and he knew I wanted something cheaper then my ARs  to shoot that's why he gave me the deal, the Mav he said he hasn't shot in 6 years and simply had no need for it. I am going to pick up a box of premium ammo and last night I gave her a complete field strip,(after watching youtube on the proper way to strip it) pretty simple) and cleaning I use rem oil since its what i always use on my guns and it has always worked well. I am going to put the Monte Carlo stock on it when i get it but I will keep the original in good shape. i might even call the gunsmith i usually use and see if he can extract that front post sight but I am pretty set on the idea of getting a little 4power dust cover scope the local surplus store has a cheapy for 20$ they set it aside for me I don't get paid till next friday but i will come back with a range report taking the advice you all have given me ....Thanks Again all, and thanks for the welcome wishes to the board

DarkRaven

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2011, 05:43:36 PM »
@hogjon13 I should reiterate " i shot my first gun at 3years old" wasn't exactly shooting  steady at 3 or even very well then the point is I was embarrassed at my shooting the first trip out with the sks:)

jswledhed

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2011, 05:50:24 PM »
Wouldn't a dust cover scope mount lose the zero every time you strip the rifle?  Seems like a stupid waste of money to me.  If you've been shooting since you were three, you surely understand the need for your scope mount to be rock solid to maintain a zero.  Rock solid isn't how I would describe a dustcover.

I understand your wanting to get the rifle performing the way it should, but your statements make no sense whatsoever.

....I wanted something cheaper then my ARs....I am going to pick up a box of premium ammo...I am going to put the Monte Carlo stock on it when i get it...pretty set on the idea of getting a little 4power dust cover scope the local surplus store has a cheapy for 20$ they set it aside for me I don't get paid till next friday...

So you want an inexpensive rifle to shoot.  Gotcha.  So you're picking up premium ammo and dumping money into a stock and crummy scope mount, parts that don't address the root of the issue?  Huh?

See what the problem is with the front sight post.  Fix it.  Enjoy your un-"optimized" Russian SKS.
I've experiments to run.  There is research to be done on the people who are still alive.

DarkRaven

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2011, 06:11:30 PM »
@ jsweldhead maybe I am getting my terminology mixed up, and I rarely use boards to discuss guns, I 'do' value every suggestion even if people are calling me on my mistakes and what doesn't add up, I am just trying to find a few answers for a gun that i have extremely limited knowledge of. I ordered the stock and muzzle break from CTD before i even took the SKS to the range so I did not order them to fix the problem because i didn't know the problem existed when i ordered.. Anyway I am pretty convinced that i just need to shoot it more get an eye for that style of site, i am not claiming to be a sniper I was an Ordinance Tech in the Navy, not a rifleman but my AR-10 is a tack driver and I have been spoiled on owning AR rifles which are extremely accurate out of the box. So having said that with my 'dunce hat' on may I ask ...what do the people on the boards mean by the 'crown' several people have stated this might have something to do with it.

ilovemysksrifles

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2011, 06:18:21 PM »
DarkRaven ,
The 'crown' on your muzzle is the area at the end of the barrel. It should not be beat up, & it should be smooth & evenly rounded off. Most of a rifles accuracy, or lack of it comes from the crowns condition on the end of the barrel- where the rifiling ends & meets the barrels end. Just take a look (FIRST be sure the rifle is UNLOADED!!!) if you see dents & dings, you may have found your problem with the lack of accuracy. Hope this helps you out- & always remember, SAFETY FIRST!!!!!  
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 06:40:38 PM by ilovemysksrifles »

jswledhed

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2011, 06:34:42 PM »
Damaged crown:

Look at it like this.  Your buddy told you there was an issue with the front sight.  The crown may or may not be damaged.  The stock won't fix these issues.  The dustcover scope mount won't fix these issues.

In my opinion, send the stock and muzzle brake back and skip the scope mount altogether.  None of these parts will do anything to help you get your SKS shooting straight.  Buy an AK/SKS sight tool, if you don't already have one.  Inspect the crown to see if its damaged.  Check the front sight and see if you can figure out exactly what the issue is.

Hillbilly61

• SKS Guru
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2011, 07:02:40 PM »
I smell lots of trolling going on in this thread.

ilovemysksrifles

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2011, 07:17:49 PM »
trolling? I dont get it- please explain to the unwise.

DarkRaven

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2011, 07:29:39 PM »
You guys nailed it I think it is the crown, the inner rim of the muzzle and some of the the rifleing looks worn and chipped I tried to take a pic but my camera just ran out of batteries so as soon as I get them replaced I will post the picture of the muzzle as well as other identifying features stampings, serial # and what not maybe you guys might know history on this type/batch of rifles if they have the same problems. It was manufactured in 1950, CCCP24992  Dust cover-Star with a arrow upwards and a diamond benieth above the 1950r stamp I-Oc 956 on gas piston tube, and bolt and carrier, as well as the trigger group and bolt housing, and on the piston itself all numbers seem to match, and buttsock too. Hmm its strange that the crown being worn could affect accuracy that much oh well ... And really... thank all of you who lent your advice....so now what are my options obviously get a new barrel duh nevermind thanks again
i'll get those pictures up if only so you don't think i was ****ting you guys:)