Author Topic: What is a Fair Price for a Mosin-Nagant M38?  (Read 3116 times)

ratpacker04

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • No, this is not Tom Clancy.
What is a Fair Price for a Mosin-Nagant M38?
« on: May 06, 2011, 02:16:07 PM »
What would be a fair price range for a refurbished 1943 Mosin M38 in Very Good to Excellent condition? I have a good lead on one of these. What is the desirability of the M38 as a collector piece? Will appreciate all advice.
Good girls go to Heaven. Bad girls go everywhere.

Generator

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
  • shop smart, shop S-Mart
Re: What is a Fair Price for a Mosin-Nagant M38?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 02:28:24 PM »
The desirability is fairly high, but you have one of the more common M38s  I'm assuming it is an Izzy?  But I see a lot fewer M38s for sale than 91/30s or M44s.
I paid 125 or 130 for my last one and it is a great shooter.  I have seen them go for closer to 200.
For under 200 I'd bargin a little and buy it.  They are great to shoot and you won't lose money if you want to resell it.
Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Lafayettegregory

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 02:28:48 PM »
What would be a fair price range for a refurbished 1943 Mosin M38 in Very Good to Excellent condition? I have a good lead on one of these. What is the desirability of the M38 as a collector piece? Will appreciate all advice.
Is it in its correct stock? Is it counter boared? Is it marked DDR, Russian, Chinese, Polish ?? Need a bit more info to give an accurate price.
 Retail refurbs can be had 165.00 and up.

ratpacker04

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 03:02:34 PM »
It's an Izzy and it's Russian (not marked DDR, Chinese, or Polish). Also not counterbored.

What would constitute a correct stock?

Ceddie

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • It’s bad luck to be superstitious…
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 03:09:22 PM »
a bunch of 38s were referb into 44 stock with the bayo cut, some were slapped onto Laminate stocks.
going price seems to be 150.00-175.00 some higher/some lower. if it's in good shape in a correct stock, I'd go as high as 150.00... if I had it to spare.
Ceddie
~
Never trust a dude with a roll of visqueen and no plausible reason.~
A well armed hippie with a generally poor attitude about how the ‘left’ has chosen to redefine ‘liberalism’… LIVE & LET LIVE use to mean something.

Lafayettegregory

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 03:11:48 PM »
It's an Izzy and it's Russian (not marked DDR, Chinese, or Polish). Also not counterbored.

What would constitute a correct stock?
Check out a M44. You will see a small notch where the bayo of the m44 folds next to the stock.
 Some stocks on refurbed m38s have M44 stocks. A complete M38 is worth more.

If it is an Izzy, all matching with the correct stock and is NOT counterbored, maybe 185.00 to 210.00 retail. Depending on condition

SVD Tiger

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 04:15:12 PM »
 You also have to consider the production numbers

17.5 to 20 million M91-30's made between 1930 till 1947

about 5 million M-44's made between 1944-48

then only a little over 2 million M-38's made between 1939-44

Yes if it is in correct stock and under $200 I would grab it because the price is only going one way and that is up. I get so sick of people crying about the price on MN's as you can see the supply is not infinite but is limited. Like one of my old Surplus Arms magazine said the selection in time is going to change and we are finally seeing it.

ratpacker04

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 04:43:08 PM »
Thanks, all, for the feedback. I need to check this out a little more with the seller. I'll post later how it turns out.

Ronny

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 07:14:35 PM »
All the info you've been given here is correct.  However, based on what you yourself provided, you should get it if the price is decent.  Either stock is correct.  Counterboring, which so many dislike, should make it more desirable if you want a shooter.  It's just part of the normal refurbishing on an M38.

It's worth $150+ as you described it.  As a collector, it becomes more valuable if it is all-matching, "M38" stock, and non-counter bored (but with a good crown).

If you find one of those at a gun show around here, you better have $200 to even be close.
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything; really helps when you get old.

ratpacker04

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 01:57:40 PM »
Took a closer look at this item today. The good news is the serial numbers on the four primary components all match and are not electropenciled and there's nothing struck through (I realize that stamping is no guarantee of originality, but at least it's not a positive indicator of forced matching). The bad news is that it looks like an M44 stock; there's a shallow groove along the right side of the stock running back to about the rear sight. It's also counterbored. Previously I didn't think it was, but I had my bore light with me today and could see and feel it.

The seller is asking $180 for it. I said I needed to think about it some more. What say you all?

Ronny

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 03:34:10 PM »
The M44 stock should not be an issue.  Many M38's were initially made with these stocks.  It is OEM.

I guess purists don't like counterboring.  However, it is not an indicator of anything, except that the rifle has been refurbed.  And, they've practically all been refurbed.

If I were actually in the market for an M38 and found one as you describe, I'd try to get it for less, but I'd pay that if I had to.  Try to convince him the stock and counterbore are problems.   :lol:

You won't likely find one at a gun show for that.
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything; really helps when you get old.

Lafayettegregory

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 07:14:01 PM »
180 OTD is not bad for a M38 shooter in todays market. Not a bargain, nor a steal. But a reasonable retail price.

Ceddie

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • It’s bad luck to be superstitious…
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 10:11:47 PM »
180 doesn't suck but it isn't bad. if it was going to be my 1st carbine. I'd prolly do it. It is more than I'd want to pay but I'd get over it.
Ceddie
~
Never trust a dude with a roll of visqueen and no plausible reason.~
A well armed hippie with a generally poor attitude about how the ‘left’ has chosen to redefine ‘liberalism’… LIVE & LET LIVE use to mean something.

TXSailor

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 10:19:15 PM »
180 doesn't suck but it isn't bad. if it was going to be my 1st carbine. I'd prolly do it. It is more than I'd want to pay but I'd get over it.

Agreed. I paid $200 for my M44. Was that WAY overpriced? Yes. But did it mean I got my first carbine, and one I REALLY wanted RIGHT THEN? Yes. And I haven't seen an M44 locally for less than $300 since.
Ensign, United States Navy

Joshua M. Smith

• Smith-Sights, LLC
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
  • Smith-Sights.com
    • Smith-Sights: Adjustable Mosin-Nagant Sights
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 10:37:36 PM »
You know, if I were a collector, I would probably pay up to $250 for one.  That's just me though, and it would have to be very nice.

For a shooter, probably a buck fiddy would be max as I could just take a 91/30 and chop it down for something lighter.

Josh