Author Topic: Know anything about Turntables?? Kenwood KD-2055 Pics added!!  (Read 1514 times)

mike0537

• SKS Marksman
I have recently got a Kenwood KD-2055 Turntable. Physically it is in very good condition. It is even in the original box. Owners manual is missing.
 I am 27 years old and know nothing about this thing. I am very mechanically inclined and have been trying to get it to work. The table will not actually spin so I took it apart and found the belt is actually missing. The motor runs and everything else seems to be in functioning condition. I don't even have a way to test this thing once I put a belt on it!
 All I am interested in is selling it. I want to be able to sell it as a working machine but I need to verify it actually will play records. I also have no idea what it is worth. Can anyone please help me???

« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 12:12:24 AM by mike0537 »

chainsaw

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • May the Shwartz be with you
Re: Know anything about Turntables?? Kenwood KD-2055
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 01:11:31 AM »
All i can suggest is,call the kenwood service center and see if they still stock replacement belts.good luck.
Build a man a fire,he'll stay warm for a night.Set a man on fire,he'll stay warm for the rest of his life.

mike0537

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 01:16:06 AM »
belt was an easy find. got one coming.

chainsaw

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • May the Shwartz be with you
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 01:20:04 AM »
Sweet
Build a man a fire,he'll stay warm for a night.Set a man on fire,he'll stay warm for the rest of his life.

Smitty

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
    • UNIT HQ
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 05:35:48 AM »
Go to thrift stores or yard sales. Should be easy to find a record to test it with for next to nothing.

Do some searching on fleabay. That should give you an idea as to what it's worth.
UNIT HQ blog: http://unit-hq.blogspot.com/

“You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets.”
--Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"Jenkins! The chap with wings over there. Five rounds rapid!"
--Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

LKermit

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 07:00:51 AM »
Looks like a '70's vintage, and there is one listed on Ebay right now.

KTF
If you MUST have the last word, let it be Amen!

Toad

• HMFIC
  • Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • TOM Q VAXY
    • OBEY!
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 09:55:46 AM »
Can anyone please help me???

If you want to play CDs on it, make sure you have the right side up.
Prepping and Survival...see Survivor's sister board, http://survivorsprepboard.com/smf/

nhblaze

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Ruger Blackhawk Proudly made in Newport NH
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 10:10:33 AM »
 :doh:
My retirement plan is simple, I'm only working until
noon the day of my funeral.

1mlt

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • No place but TEXAS
    • TheSKSmagAdapter, LLC
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 11:03:35 AM »
Once you get the belt on it, the rest is pretty easy. 3 wires, 1 ground, 1 left RCA output signal, 1 right RCA output signal. If you have any kind of "stereo" system there should be a "PHONO" hookup on the back. Loosen the ground screw and put the ground from the turntable, hookup the RCA plugs on the back of your receiver, switch to the "phono" mode. This a true 2speed, auto turntable, when you lift the tonearm and move it inward the motor should turn on and the table will spin or you can push the "start" button. It has 33rmp and 45rpm speeds. Has a setting for platter size, 7" for 45 and 12" for albums. The tone arm tracking weight can be set from 0-3 grams. Set it to about 1.5 grams. I have 2 Technics 1200's and this one looks very similar. Take your finger and LIGHTLY drag it across the needle. You will hear it scratch if everything is working. That tells you the signal is working. Doesn't tell you the condition of the stylus though. Go here: http://www.vinylengine.com/library/kenwood/kd-2055.shtml to see a quick description. Value: depends on how bad someone wants it. Hope this helps.
Marcus
There is but one language and that is the English language. Teddy R., 1907
Duck-bill-less mag adapters for the SKS are located at
www.thesksmagadapter.com

mike0537

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 12:53:45 PM »
Marcus, you always seem to have the info I need!!! Thanx! If I have anymore questions I know who to ask!

1mlt

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • No place but TEXAS
    • TheSKSmagAdapter, LLC
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 01:03:11 PM »
Marcus, you always seem to have the info I need!!! Thanx! If I have anymore questions I know who to ask!

Being a mobile DJ for 40 years doesn't hurt. I'm retired now from the mobile gig. I still have my sound system and all my records though. I'm running a Crown Microtech 1,200 watt amp for the mids/highs and a Peavey CS-1200 watt amp for the base. It will rock your world when cranked...
Marcus
There is but one language and that is the English language. Teddy R., 1907
Duck-bill-less mag adapters for the SKS are located at
www.thesksmagadapter.com

Hillbilly61

• SKS Guru
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 04:26:03 PM »
I was big into stereos (and am still into many things AV) when turntables ruled the proverbial roost for audio equipment. What you have is a belt drive turntable. Belts wear out and break or just break because the rubber rotted out.

To restore this baby, the first question, since you have it opened up, does the drive motor still spin? If it does, then you all you need to do is just get a belt. That I cannot help you with, as I have been out of turntables for some time. If you cannot find one (I bet you can on the net), then look around where vacuum clear repair parts are sold. The length needed for a rubber belt will be about a quarter inch length than the physical distance between the motor and the turntable's outer pulley length. Just enough short to create tension on the rubber pulley.

The next challenge and probably not a real big one, is determining whether or not the cartridge stylus is any good. If it is still good (they are very fragile), then you are good to go after the new belt goes on.

Styluses are pricey these days as they are not mass produced anymore. Can you post a pic of it? That can be the deal killer for an economical restoration. The price of a replacement belt is pretty trivial compared to styluses.

mike0537

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 05:16:33 PM »
I was big into stereos (and am still into many things AV) when turntables ruled the proverbial roost for audio equipment. What you have is a belt drive turntable. Belts wear out and break or just break because the rubber rotted out.

To restore this baby, the first question, since you have it opened up, does the drive motor still spin? If it does, then you all you need to do is just get a belt. That I cannot help you with, as I have been out of turntables for some time. If you cannot find one (I bet you can on the net), then look around where vacuum clear repair parts are sold. The length needed for a rubber belt will be about a quarter inch length than the physical distance between the motor and the turntable's outer pulley length. Just enough short to create tension on the rubber pulley.

The next challenge and probably not a real big one, is determining whether or not the cartridge stylus is any good. If it is still good (they are very fragile), then you are good to go after the new belt goes on.

Styluses are pricey these days as they are not mass produced anymore. Can you post a pic of it? That can be the deal killer for an economical restoration. The price of a replacement belt is pretty trivial compared to styluses.

Got the belt coming. It was about $14 shipped. Looks like a sylus for it is about 15-18 shipped. I'll post pics tonight!

Hillbilly61

• SKS Guru
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 05:43:07 PM »

Got the belt coming. It was about $14 shipped. Looks like a sylus for it is about 15-18 shipped. I'll post pics tonight!

Cool!  8)