Author Topic: Czechpoint VZ-58 VZ2008 side mount review  (Read 2781 times)

Zer0DazE

• SKS Gunsmith
  • I will deport you
Czechpoint VZ-58 VZ2008 side mount review
« on: May 17, 2011, 01:34:40 AM »
My mount came in, and is installed.  If you have a bench top drill press then you can install this; if not, your local smith can probably do it in about 30 min.
The mount is really nice, it is a heavy (and I mean really heavy) chunk of metal.  It install with a pair of screws, and lines up with the trigger and safety pins.

That was the good...  Solid, and easy to install.

The bad?

Well the bad isn't the mount so much as it is the gun.  The rear sling slot is directly behind the mount, and is at an even height (away from the receiver side) as the mount.  This means you can't get a standard AK mount on it... UNLESS...  the cheesy mount I had laying around used a roll pin as the forward stop on the mount base.  I pushed it up with a hammer and punch, slid the mount on from the front, and then tapped it bad down.

While I did find a solution, I would not consider it satisfactory.  You could remove the rear sling slot, but that isn't something I am willing to do.

I have tossed around the idea of removing the forward stop pin, opening the hole, and then tapping it.  This would let me use an allen head set screw, but this would only work on a cheap mount that doesn't have a machined stop.

The verdict?  
It works and is solid, but at this point it is sort of a let down if you have the VZ2008 with the folding stock.  With a fixed stock I don't think it would be an issue...  but I can't get the damn screw out that holds the stock to the receiver.  lol
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 02:02:39 AM by Zer0DazE »

Deek57

• SKS Shooter
Re: Czechpoint VZ-58 VZ2008 side mount review
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 10:53:53 AM »
My kalinka 6x24 with ak mount works just fine for mounting. But... I have to push the mount back to where it's just about pushing against the sling before I can get it to go down on the rail so I can push it forward again, so not a lot of extra space. It works fine for me though and goes on easy. I'm also assuming in this post that you have the czechpoint-usa rail and a regular kalinka scope with it's original mount.

7.62vz

• SKS Expert
Re: Czechpoint VZ-58 VZ2008 side mount review
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 10:10:02 PM »
Would you be interested in a fixed stock?  They do not have the sling attachment there and you should have no problem installing an AK rail mount.

I'd like to trade my fixed for a folder.