Author Topic: Interarms AK47?  (Read 1142 times)

einherjar793

• SKS Marksman
Interarms AK47?
« on: May 17, 2011, 07:18:53 PM »
Thinking of making this my next weapons purchase. They're running $579 on atlanticfirearms.com and seem to be a decent step up from the wasr's.

Anyone have any personal experience with these? I found a bit of info on akfiles about their ak74 but not the ak47. Same thing on youtube. Just trying to get some second and third opinions before I buy. Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 07:31:38 PM by einherjar793 »

1949Tula

• SKS Newbie
  • Мы вас похороним!
Re: Interarms AK47?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 10:19:08 AM »
A buddy of mine purchased an IO AK47 and called me saying his receiver cover kept coming off.  When he brought it to me I pulled it apart and the internals were all fine.  When I was putting it back together I noticed the rivets that held the brace for the butt stock in the back of the receiver were coming out and the brace had moved backwards.  I checked a couple of the rivets on the receiver and they were loose, but hadn't caused any problems yet.  This might have just been a bad apple, but from this experience with them I would not buy one.
Защита свободы с коммунистической сделано оружие!

Mancat

• SKS Guru
  • give all the milsurps to me
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 10:52:56 AM »
I've noticed a few posts on AKFiles about rivet failures on the Interarms AKs, but not the IO AKs. Your friend isn't the first. The rivets on the Interarms seem to be too soft.

WASRs have their problems here and there, but at least they don't tend to literally fall apart, and you get a chromed barrel as well.

einherjar793

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 12:14:43 PM »
Just to clarify, im talking about interarms  not IO. Either way, receivers falling apart is not cool.

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 01:15:50 PM »
 If you want a step up from the WASR, take a look at the Polish that are out there right now; they are a good fit and finish, and the build quality is excellent on them. 8)
Proudly making the world a safer place, one dirtbag at a time....

einherjar793

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 01:19:22 PM »
Who makes em?

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 01:27:45 PM »
 I am talking about these : http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct933.aspx    .....

It looks like they are Century, but I had to double check that, as they seem too nice to be Century builds.....

We took two of these out to the range a few weeks ago, brand new out of the box and out of about 500 rounds fired between the two  of them, we did not have a single malfunction, which is excellent for a new AK, since you can usually expect a snag or two in the first couple hundred rounds as the guns "shoot in"....they have Tapco G-2 triggers, the wood was nice, and the u/f stocks were rock solid. I was impressed.

einherjar793

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 03:14:14 PM »
Im fairly certain those are in fact century builds. I've read that century is trying to shape up so to speak. I'll take your word for it on those. Hundreds of rounds and no snags on a new ak is pretty darn good.

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 03:19:54 PM »
 I was thoroughly impressed; I was expecting the sort of break in that my  WASR's had; they have always been solid, if a little rough around the edges , but the Polish rifles were much nicer; When the WASR's were still $300-$350, they were a great deal, but they have gone up, and these days, for just a little more money, you can get something that comes in nice condition without you having to tinker with it.....

Mancat

• SKS Guru
  • give all the milsurps to me
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 08:00:10 PM »
I just recently broke the 500 round barrier on my WASR and haven't had a single failure at all from the very first day. Is that unusual for a WASR then? It is matching parts, that probably has a lot to do with it.

einherjar793

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 08:52:46 PM »
I don't think functionality of the wasr's are the real problem. It mostly has to do with the fit, finish, and the attention to detail during assembly that are the big issues. Like ranger said, when they were going for the $300ish range they were a great deal. Now, not so much when better options are within $50 or so.

jbanzai

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • End of days.
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 08:57:54 PM »
I don't know who's shipping is better, but Centerfire has those Polish for $499.
WTB Chinese SKS, numbers matching, excellent condition early /26\ with threaded barrel and milled trigger guard