Author Topic: Zytel 30 rd Mags  (Read 3736 times)

Deadeye008

• SKS Sniper
Zytel 30 rd Mags
« on: January 20, 2006, 01:56:08 PM »
Anybody ever tried the Zytel 30 rd Mags? Just wondering how they work. I've got a yugo. Sportmans Guide has them  on clearance for $10.
Colt: The original point and click interface.

calavera

• SKS Expert
Zytel 30 rd Mags
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 04:11:42 PM »
Run far away.
Whaddaya mean 'funky fresh' isn't???
Made you look!

dp1one

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Alpha Mike Foxtrot
Zytel 30 rd Mags
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 04:17:01 PM »
I have never seen a Zytel SKS magazine that functioned reliably. If you enjoy stovepipes, FTFs, and FTEs they are perfect. If you enjoy a reliable rifle, don't get one.
I don't need a sig line.

Deadeye008

• SKS Sniper
Zytel 30 rd Mags
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 04:33:36 PM »
Thanks for the info. I'll pass on them cuz I'm not a big fan of crapyness.  What are some of the more reliable detachable mags?
Colt: The original point and click interface.

dp1one

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Alpha Mike Foxtrot
Zytel 30 rd Mags
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 04:41:21 PM »
If you can find them, the USA brand are the more reliable ones. The mag will marked like this:

U.S.A.
MAGAZINES
MADE IN U.S.A.

The mark will be on the right side of the mag at the bottom. Even though the USA brand is more relaible, you still may have to 'tweak' them a bit for proper function.
I don't need a sig line.

cvasqu03

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
Zytel 30 rd Mags
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 04:55:37 PM »
That's interesting. I've always found the zytel mags to be way more reliable than any of the steel type ones (I have at least one of just about every mag ever made for the SKS).  The real problem is it's nearly impossible to load more than 10 rounds without the little loading tool (except fo rthe original Cobray ones, which you can load by hand).
I am the one they call Cesar.

dp1one

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Alpha Mike Foxtrot
Zytel 30 rd Mags
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 04:58:57 PM »
Ah, I've never seen the Cobray mags in action. The generic Zytel mags that I've observed in use always stovepiped (especially with less than ten rounds in the mag).
I don't need a sig line.

engineer2001

• SKS Gunsmith
Zytel 30 rd Mags
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2006, 01:36:03 AM »
Quote from: dp1one
The mag will marked like this:

U.S.A.
MAGAZINES
MADE IN U.S.A.

The mark will be on the right side of the mag at the bottom.

I have two USA mags, and neither is marked at all.  I got one used (fixed 10-rd mag in original zipper baggy with logo and instructions on it) and one 30-rd detachable brand new still sealed in the cardboard/plastic pack with USA flag on it and instructions.  I know it is legit, as I opened it myself, and it works great (unless someone was making fakes about 10 years ago and selling them at Eastman gun shows all over the south).  They are both as plain-looking as can be (no numbers, letters, or anything).  Maybe only the ones since the legislation are marked?
engineer2001
I pity da foo.

Toad

• HMFIC
  • Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • TOM Q VAXY
    • OBEY!
Zytel 30 rd Mags
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 03:14:46 AM »
The old school Tapcos worked rather well. The Cobray were all right...I'd venture to say better than the no-name stamped steel duck bills.
Prepping and Survival...see Survivor's sister board, http://survivorsprepboard.com/smf/

Robert302

• SKS Newbie
Zytel 30 rd Mags
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2006, 03:40:37 PM »
The zytel mags that sportsmansguide.com sells are the cobray brand. It works way way better than the crap metal 30rnd mag I got from cheaperthandirt.com.

At first the Cobray zytel wouldn't feed correctly, it just took a mine amount of sanding on the lips. Now it works pretty good, I get a failure to feed about 2 to 5 times from the 30rnd cobray. I notice the more I shoot it, the better it is feeding(less failure to feeds). I think once it wears in completely its going to work flawlessly.

1manmafia

• SKS Marksman
  • "Live and learn, or die and burn."
Zytel 30 rd Mags
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 01:22:51 AM »
Quote from: cvasqu03
That's interesting. I've always found the zytel mags to be way more reliable than any of the steel type ones (I have at least one of just about every mag ever made for the SKS).  The real problem is it's nearly impossible to load more than 10 rounds without the little loading tool (except fo rthe original Cobray ones, which you can load by hand).

I have got one of them and I have no problems with it feeding. But, I too have trouble loading any more than 14 or 15 rounds. Does that loading tool work pretty good?
"Be careful to entertain strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unaware."