Author Topic: NJ legal AK purchase info?  (Read 2315 times)

SnowBob

• SKS Marksman
NJ legal AK purchase info?
« on: May 29, 2011, 11:11:38 PM »
Howdy, i'm located in Jersey (for a limited time) and looking to buy a NJ legal AK for under $400 at the next gun show. I also want a gun i can start upgrading once i move to a free state as well. what do i need to look for and what does the state require for a long gun to be legal? thanks for the pointers!
AK 47 WASR 10 63, SKS 59/66, Mosin Nagant 91/30, Mossberg 702, Mossberg 500
"He said to them, 'But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you donít have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." Luke 22:36

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
Re: NJ legal AK purchase info?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 11:15:14 PM »
 Do they even have gun shows in NJ? :?

I know that to purchase a rifle or shotgun in NJ you first have to obtain a firearms purchasing permit , similar to the FOID in some other states;

Beyond that i am not sure what you can't have in NJ, beyond a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds. and a folding stock.... :(
Proudly making the world a safer place, one dirtbag at a time....

SnowBob

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 11:36:13 PM »
Do they even have gun shows in NJ? :?

I know that to purchase a rifle or shotgun in NJ you first have to obtain a firearms purchasing permit , similar to the FOID in some other states;

Beyond that i am not sure what you can't have in NJ, beyond a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds. and a folding stock.... :(

no there aren't any shows in NJ, a place about 20 minutes into PA called Eagle Arms hosts shows a few times a month, i usually go out there, it's not as nice as some shows i've heard about, but being from Jersey, it's as close to heaven as i can get... last time i was at one of the shows i found an "NJ Legal" WASR AK for $325, and it had a dragunov style stock, i guess a non- removable brake type thing (not sure what exactly what it was) and no bayonet lug. i just don't want to go for a gun i can't "bubba" later on. i already have my FID card, so that's not an issue...
"He said to them, 'But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you donít have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." Luke 22:36

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 11:47:01 PM »
 With the exception of not having a bayonet lug, I don't think there's anything you can't reverse later; the drag type stock can be retro'ed to a standard AK stock and pistol grip. the welded brake can be ground and removed (there are usually threads underneath) , and if it's a single stack rifle (it sounds like it may be) the mag well can be widened to take the regular AK magazines.....

SnowBob

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 04:06:35 PM »
With the exception of not having a bayonet lug, I don't think there's anything you can't reverse later; the drag type stock can be retro'ed to a standard AK stock and pistol grip. the welded brake can be ground and removed (there are usually threads underneath) , and if it's a single stack rifle (it sounds like it may be) the mag well can be widened to take the regular AK magazines.....
well that's good to hear. how do single stack mags work, do i have to buy them specialty or something? thanks for the info so far!

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 01:29:03 PM »
 The low-cap mags are a bit skinnier; if you look around you should be able to locate some; They are the only ones you will be able to possess in NJ anyway, legally. :(

junkmanted

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 08:25:36 PM »
Go over here www.njgunforum.com

Theres many AK variant guns we can own
I have about 8 or so and no WASR's

Only the PAP is a single stack mag .

You just need to find a dealer that will transfer them to you

SnowBob

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 07:16:30 PM »
Go over here www.njgunforum.com

Theres many AK variant guns we can own
I have about 8 or so and no WASR's

Only the PAP is a single stack mag .

You just need to find a dealer that will transfer them to you

the URL linked to some youtube video of rotting food, but i did find the site (http://www.njgunforums.com/). thanks for the pointer. what AK's did you get, if you don't mind me asking? can you give me some pointers on what to look for... i've just heard a lot about the WASR's that's why i was looking for one. what do you mean i need to find a dealer that will transfer them? i know the gun show has many AK's labeled as "NJ Legal", but i'm just intimidated by that, i don't want to get ripped off and get a rifle that sucks, that's the big reason why i'm trying to find out as much as i can.

SnowBob

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 09:29:59 AM »
So the gun show is this weekend! any suggestions on what kind of AK to look for as a good beginner one?

SnowBob

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 10:12:17 PM »
Howdy! so i got my AK! still haven't had a chance to take it to the range though... i figure I'd post a picture and follow up. it turned out NJ has a law that a firearm (I'm guessing long-arm) has 5 points, a purchaser must abide by a certain number of those rules. well here's a picture!

pepsi71ocean

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 01:57:42 PM »
Welcome to NJ.

My advice is to buy only guns in New Jersey,(if a gun shop has it 9/10 times it is legal to own.) if you "import" one to a FFL expect a call or a visit from the State police(if your rural) if it is "questionable". (like my SKS, the gun show wrote it up as a M59/66 and bam i got a call and a visit by the Firearms unit)

Forget the 5 point system, the laws are very complicated here, also no magazines over 15 rounds. and no broken ones either(ie a 20 round magazine that is broken into parts, possession is the illegal part)

This state works so well, that more often then not the police, and well no one can give you gun advice, the state police says so.

"The New Jersey State Police is not authorized to provide legal advice to private parties.

For informational purposes only, New Jersey firearm laws and procedures may be derived from state and federal statutes, state and federal administrative codes, New Jersey Attorney General guidelines and case law."

We went though this crap about 6 months ago when the State police said that the Auto ordinance M1 Carbine was legal, then said it was illegal. the Attorneys office never made an official statement but off hand remarks were stated that the Firearms Unit gave a false interpretation of the law, and as such all Auto ordinance carbines sold must be turned in, or given to a FFL.

With a friend in the NJSP, he said the problem with turning it into the police now is that you automatically are guilty of possession, and as such can get anywhere from 5 to 10 years without parole. but then he also said that high capacity magazines also fall under "assault weapons"

My advice is to stay as LEGAL as possible, because there is an endless list of lawsuits by the state on civilians AND police officers for violating the law.

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 02:01:27 PM »
 That place is a Gulag. :evil:

Spike 7.62

• SKS Guru
  • Don't Tread On Me
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 11:08:11 AM »
You can buy rifles and shotguns in NJ with the Purchaser ID card, you only need permits for pistols.

I lived in NJ a long time :( here's the skinny..

I owned a NJ legal WASR 10/63. If a muzzle nut is tac welded on, and if the bayonet lug is cut off, the rifle itself is legal, even with a pistol grip and regular shoulder stock. Mag capacity is 15, you can buy 15 rd AK mags at almost any gun store I've seen in NJ. When I first moved there I had 2 30 rounders cut down by a gunsmith to 15 round capacity. Double stack mags are allowed as long as they only hold 15. Folding, telescoping or removable stocks are illegal on AKs, as are front pistol grips.

I believe Peach State guns (or arms) sells NJ legal AKs, or have an FFL order one. Or, buy a regular AK in PA and have a gunsmith there weld on a muzzle nut and cut off the bayonet lug. You will be able to buy non NJ legal AKs in other states, but bringing them into NJ is a felony. On that note, ANY firearms related crime in NJ is automatically a felony.

My sincere advice is to move. You've got the highest property tax and insurance rates in the country, an extremely high cost of living, you're surrounded by bad people and horrible cops, the government hates you and there's nothing you can do to fix any of it. Don't wait until you're losing your house to the bank and you can't pay your taxes or bills. From 2005 to 2010, 5% of New Jersians moved out of state, there is a reason they did that.
"The nation is divided; half patriots and half traitors. And no man can tell which from which."
Mark Twain

"When you have to shoot; shoot, don't talk."
- Tuco, The Good The Bad & The Ugly

SnowBob

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 09:18:40 PM »
wow... good source of info, yeah i got my AK already, i didn't know that about the stock/grip... i also didn't know about the front pistol grip, thanks for telling me that though, that was going to be one of the first upgrades... either way NJ sucks if you plan on owning a firearm. as far as doing an FFL transfer... there's only one gun shop by me and their fee is OUTRAGEOUS! they're the same shop that doesn't sell 7.62x39 because "it isn't a common caliber". I'm working on getting out of the state... i just need to find a job out of state...
You can buy rifles and shotguns in NJ with the Purchaser ID card, you only need permits for pistols.

I lived in NJ a long time :( here's the skinny..

I owned a NJ legal WASR 10/63. If a muzzle nut is tac welded on, and if the bayonet lug is cut off, the rifle itself is legal, even with a pistol grip and regular shoulder stock. Mag capacity is 15, you can buy 15 rd AK mags at almost any gun store I've seen in NJ. When I first moved there I had 2 30 rounders cut down by a gunsmith to 15 round capacity. Double stack mags are allowed as long as they only hold 15. Folding, telescoping or removable stocks are illegal on AKs, as are front pistol grips.

I believe Peach State guns (or arms) sells NJ legal AKs, or have an FFL order one. Or, buy a regular AK in PA and have a gunsmith there weld on a muzzle nut and cut off the bayonet lug. You will be able to buy non NJ legal AKs in other states, but bringing them into NJ is a felony. On that note, ANY firearms related crime in NJ is automatically a felony.

My sincere advice is to move. You've got the highest property tax and insurance rates in the country, an extremely high cost of living, you're surrounded by bad people and horrible cops, the government hates you and there's nothing you can do to fix any of it. Don't wait until you're losing your house to the bank and you can't pay your taxes or bills. From 2005 to 2010, 5% of New Jersians moved out of state, there is a reason they did that.

pepsi71ocean

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 05:34:07 PM »
wow... good source of info, yeah i got my AK already, i didn't know that about the stock/grip... i also didn't know about the front pistol grip, thanks for telling me that though, that was going to be one of the first upgrades... either way NJ sucks if you plan on owning a firearm. as far as doing an FFL transfer... there's only one gun shop by me and their fee is OUTRAGEOUS! they're the same shop that doesn't sell 7.62x39 because "it isn't a common caliber". I'm working on getting out of the state... i just need to find a job out of state...

that is what internet vendors are for.

Don't worry if they suspected your firearm was not legal the state police will pay you a visit, they did for my SKS...........

also i do my transfers through bob's little gun shot.