Author Topic: Wolf vs Tula Ammo: Wof == Tula??  (Read 6816 times)

seanc

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
Wolf vs Tula Ammo: Wof == Tula??
« on: May 30, 2011, 10:49:27 PM »
I just saw this vendor review (take it for what it's worth):
http://www.luckygunner.com/ammo-manufacturer/tula-ammo-review

Tula claims to have the best poly ammo and claim to be the premier Russian ammo mfr.  Tula makes Wolf ammo.  I wouldn't consider Wolf to be premier ammo, just based on their crappy primers that always pop (it seems whenever is shoot more than 100 rnds Wolf, I'm gonna get some primers in my mags and/or FP channel), not to mention how dirty Wolf is (I do like the poly).  I'm seeing TulAmmo advertised now.  Is that the same so-so ammo as Wolf?  Or is it coming out of the same factory but with better components?

Thanks in advance.
Land of Lincoln

BillyBang

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
Re: Wolf vs Tula Ammo: Wof == Tula??
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 11:03:12 PM »
It's all a shell game that the Russians have been playing for years.
Wolf started getting a bad rep so they came out with a "new" brand to take up the slack.
Tula Cartridge Works has always been the dirtiest,
least powerful, troublesome x39 on the market IMO.
But I've bought both Wolf and Tula brands and have not had that much trouble with either one.
If I have a choice, I prefer/buy from the Barnaul or Ulyanovsk plants,
even the Vympel manufacture (GT) is better.

lonewolf

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 11:05:40 PM »
I've shot thousands of Wolf BB, Classic, and have had zero problems with any of the Wolf brand ammo...

I go through 1 case a month in 7.62x39 ammo, Yugo, Russian whatever I feel like shooting..I shoot every weekend no matter the weather...

res45

• SKS Guru
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 03:19:47 PM »
Actually Wolf is not an ammo mfg. at all but an importer in Placentia,CA,they contract out various  munitions mfg. to produce there ammo. Tula usually make the X39 and other steel case ammo but it can come from any of the various Russian ammo producer at any given time. Germany makes the 22 Match grade rimfire ammo and all the Wolf brass case boxer primed and reloadable ammo is made in Serbia either by Prvi Partizan or Igman.
"Go to the ant, you sluggard;consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander,no overseer or ruler,yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest."  Proverbs 6:6

scarymike23

• A Sawhorse Is A
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • This argument needs more pie.
    • Alternate History War Film!
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 03:28:41 PM »
What about the Herter's stuff that Cabelas sells? Is that just repackaged stuff from the same source with a more American sounding same stamped on the box? I know its made in Russia but wasn't sure if it was of the same quality as the Tulammo/Wolf stuff. My SKS seems to like it just fine.
для родины!

Первые оружеиные заводы в туле

I'll grudgingly also say MN is the best sub $200 rifle value out there right now. Damn that scarymike guy and his enchanting photo! -Running Man, 02/28/14 at 02:54:32 PM

BillyBang

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 07:32:54 PM »
Actually Wolf is not an ammo mfg. at all but an importer in Placentia,CA,they contract out various  munitions mfg. to produce there ammo. Tula usually make the X39 and other steel case ammo but it can come from any of the various Russian ammo producer at any given time. Germany makes the 22 Match grade rimfire ammo and all the Wolf brass case boxer primed and reloadable ammo is made in Serbia either by Prvi Partizan or Igman.

That's true as I've purchased "Wolf military classic" only to find the headstamp to be from the Ulyanovsk plant.

Again, I may be lucky but aside from a couple of failures to fire,
I've never had trouble with any brand of Russian x39 I've purchased.

As an afterthought, I would imagine that the importers contract the factories in Russia
to box the ammo in the boxes the importers specify.
I can't imagine all the ammo coming in as "bulk", then the importers boxing it.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 07:40:33 PM by BillyBang »

lonewolf

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 09:03:55 PM »
What about the Herter's stuff that Cabelas sells? Is that just repackaged stuff from the same source with a more American sounding same stamped on the box? I know its made in Russia but wasn't sure if it was of the same quality as the Tulammo/Wolf stuff. My SKS seems to like it just fine.

Yes..

res45

• SKS Guru
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 10:01:41 PM »

Herter's was once a company all to itself it's home office was in Waseca, Minn and George Leonard Herter was the Manager up until 1970,he passed away in 1994.  Although they had several stores there were mainly a mail-order company that offered a complete line of adjustable chokes, ventilated ribs, finished and unfinished stocks, cleaning supplies, boots, clothing, and other fishing, shotgunning,rifles and pistols, shooting and reloading supplies, and other hunting-related paraphernalia.

The big box store and mail order sporting goods business model used now days was the brain child of George Leonard Herter. Cabelas owns the rights to the Herter's name,here are some comments on what Herter's was like in the old days.
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/waseca-mn/TUIQQ7HD797M3EEQ8#comments
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 10:18:38 PM by res45 »
"Go to the ant, you sluggard;consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander,no overseer or ruler,yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest."  Proverbs 6:6

Old Outlaw

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 11:08:44 PM »
George Herter was and is, the true founder of today's business model for Sporting Goods chain stores. I lived in Fairmont, Mn. from 66 to 73 and went to Waseca
at least twice a month during those years. George used to roam the store at any given moment unless on a hunting or fishing trip some where on this planet. Yet,
you would never realize it may be him helping you to find what you wanted in one of his series of Quonset Huts he purchased as Us Military Surplus after World War II.
An amazing man missed only nowadays by a few of us who went to his home store.  :cry: If today, you were to combine every item Cabelas, Gander Mountain, Dunhams, Bass Pro and Dicks sell, Waseca had more! Families from the East Coast and West Coast on vacations went out of their way to stop and spend the better part of a day.

A truly great man and family. I was sorry to see his heirs eventually sell out, take the money from George's life work and run.  :(  But, alas. His business practices live on!

But, the fact that a couple of years ago Cabelas reinstated the Herter's name says they are now looking back to when George taught them to "think big and you will grow!
Think small and you will die! Better to serve your customers well and face neither problem!" Perhaps not his exact phrase, but close. I read that in I think about 1967
in the local Fairmont newspaper during an interview he gave at a High School football game between Fairmont and Waseca. For many of us who are 55 and older, the brand name does draw attention. I suspect Cabelas will supply better than just OK Russian ammo. Just a hunch because of the brand name on it.

I wish we all could have brand companies to rely on for quality, service, and money back guarantee on everything like George Herter gave everyone of us. But, I can only dream of the past! :cry:
"Orkin" is used here to remove all BS and other Posts from this Board!