Author Topic: Norinco SKS M type 63*** now with pictures***  (Read 3414 times)

Galaxie1

• SKS Newbie
Norinco SKS M type 63*** now with pictures***
« on: June 13, 2011, 07:16:45 PM »
Hello, I am new to the forum. I have had my first SKS for about 2 years, a pefect paratrooper. I love it. I was at a St. Louis gun show yesterday with a buddy and helped him pick out a very nice full lenth Norinco. While at the table I noticed What I thought was a SKS M and made a dealfor it. When I got it home I discovered it is a 63, and had the full lenght barrel and open top front sight hood. The board here sems to say that is more rare. The stock is the thumbhole that appears to have been beaver chewed into shape. internally it is very goodbut has some minor rust pitting on the barrell and front sling loop. Should I leave it alone, or try and restore it? it came with a 40 round AK mag also.
Thanks
Amos
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 09:03:06 PM by Galaxie1 »

StoveBolt

• SKS Gunsmith
  • In The Hardwoods Up North
Re: Norinco SKS M type 63
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 07:31:32 PM »
Need more info, markings? Pictures?

and welcome aboard.
I'm not a gynacologist, but I'll take a look.  :shock:

Ronny

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 07:41:14 PM »
You have what sounds like a 63, which is somewhat rare.  They didn't come with a 40 rounder, although that doesn't make any real difference.

Restoring a commercial SKS isn't a criminal offense.  I wouldn't hesitate to get it into good shape.  But, I'd recommend you keep it.  I sold mine some years ago and regret it to this day.
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything; really helps when you get old.

KOOLmike

• I Think I'm Special
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 07:50:16 PM »
I think there's a 63 mag on GB right now, but the guy wants more than $100 for it.

Welcome to the boards, man. 8)
Freedom is free when you let people be!

Wood: The Original FDE

Stolen Norinco SKS, Factory /26\, Serial Number 10107962, Stolen 9/4/2010 in Blue Springs, MO. Reward if found!

Galaxie1

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 08:21:19 PM »
Thanks guys, I will work on getting pictures of both soon. What was the original mag? 20?
Amos

Ronny

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 08:36:40 PM »
30.  A Chinese 30 rounder will do the job just fine.
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything; really helps when you get old.

beachbumwithagun

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • NRA Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 10:00:45 PM »
great score Galaxie, yes the sks-63 is an uncommon detachable mag variant. they were imported for a short while in 1988 by china sports inc.

Mike, what Galaxie has is actually a sks-63 not a type63, the type63 is a select fire model that looks like a sks but is quite different. type63's were never imported.

as much as the stock looks like it's been "beaver chewed into shape" it is one of the most comfortable D-handle sks stock.

easy credit gave some people the life they thought they deserved not the life they could afford

anyone that will give up liberty for security deserves neither....Ben Frankl

Galaxie1

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 10:55:59 PM »
Thanks, Beachbumwithagun.
 The picture is exactly what I have. Am I going to hurt the value if I smooth the stock out and refinish it? I have a collection of Mosin Nagants, and the Forum I belong to gets all bent out of shape if refinishing is mentioned. I guess I am a little (pardon the pun) Gun Shy
Amos

Ronny

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 08:54:19 AM »
IMO, no!  Just do a good job of it.  63's aren't war trophies.

Lafayettegregory

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 09:17:08 AM »
Thanks, Beachbumwithagun.
 The picture is exactly what I have. Am I going to hurt the value if I smooth the stock out and refinish it? I have a collection of Mosin Nagants, and the Forum I belong to gets all bent out of shape if refinishing is mentioned. I guess I am a little (pardon the pun) Gun Shy
Amos
As to the rust, steel wool that area and cold blue if needed to restore.   I would not change the shape of the stock. Shoot it a while and you may like it. If you want a Monte carlo style stock, take a regular stock and fashion it for the steel insert to fit. This will preserve the original stock. There are also several aftermerket stocks that will fit the type "m'. I like the Ramline stocks. I do not use the steel insert in the below rifle.

harleyrider

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • Just Ridin the Breeze
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 12:01:53 AM »
Welcome G-1!  Sounds like you made a nice acquisition.  An SKS 63 is on my radar list for the future.  Mind sharing what yours set you back?

BTW, love to see some pictures of your rifle. 8)

HR

Galaxie1

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 01:48:08 PM »
The asking price was $380 but I got the Sunday afternoon/i dont want to haul it home price of $280. I think i stole it. I hope to get some pictures today but I am not sure how to get them posted.

Ronny

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 03:36:53 PM »
You stole it.

Galaxie1

• SKS Newbie
Re: Norinco SKS M type 63 now with pictures.....
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 08:56:00 PM »
pictures

and 1 with her little sister....

SKSer45

• SKS Sniper
    • My Home Page
Re: Norinco SKS M type 63*** now with pictures***
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 12:01:55 AM »
her little sister looks sexy :)

wish that bottom one could be cali legal though.