Author Topic: Ithaca 37 question  (Read 1636 times)

tinman762

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
Ithaca 37 question
« on: June 13, 2011, 08:41:53 PM »
I was told that this has no trigger disconnect. When I cycle the pump and keep the trigger pressed, the FP does fall. But I tried it once at the range with Remington target loads, and I don't know if I short-stroked or what, but nothing happened, and I didn't have the guts to try it again.

So....what's going on?
Cities breed things in the souls of men that require lancing.

I bow to tinman !!!!-docbuckhead

Jug

• SKS Sniper
  • Eat right,Live right, Die anyway
Re: Ithaca 37 question
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 10:20:19 PM »
It will fire as fast as you can pump it. (Don't ask me how I know) :-$     And it does not matter if it's low or high powered.

SGT ROCK

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 12:31:20 PM »
It may be a later model, as the early models do not.
'50, '51 '53, '56, '64, '65, '66, '67, '67, '92, '93, '65, '76, '60, '71

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 12:38:43 PM »
It may be a later model, as the early models do not.

Yes....the older models- the ones from the 50's, 60's etc, would slam fire if you want them to; you just held the trigger back after you fired the first round and continued working the pump; the newer models would not do this.....

Remember that Ithaca has undergone a few different ownership changes, and that some of the people who bought the company were not firearms people; they bought Ithaca for the name recognition; the same thing happend to Smith and Wesson, until they were once again purchased by people who had an interest in firearms more than corporate name recognition....
Proudly making the world a safer place, one dirtbag at a time....

Aye Kay

• SKS Guru
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 08:21:32 PM »
Howdy guys,  been without a puter' for a while. 
Anyhow,  does anyone know how to remove the disconnect on the newer models.  I like the slamfire feature......

uh60ce

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 09:32:11 PM »
Anyhow,  does anyone know how to remove the disconnect on the newer models.  I like the slamfire feature......
  You don't, unless you find an old style trigger group, and that won't be guaranteed to fit or work properly. sorry :confused5:

uh60ce

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 09:57:26 PM »
Forgot to add: old style hammer had a stud on one side that engaged hook on slide release. These parts are not guaranteed to fit between production year changes. Hey, it's your gun; drill,weld & file away! Shame, nice Ithaca 37's are getting harder to find these days :sad7:

Aye Kay

• SKS Guru
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 09:24:36 PM »
  I just figured it would have a disconnect or something.  I guess I'll just start chopping away at stuff in the trigger group until it slam fires.   :roll:

uh60ce

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 04:39:17 PM »
  I just figured it would have a disconnect or something.  I guess I'll just start chopping away at stuff in the trigger group until it slam fires.   :roll:
  That won't help either. You have to add the stud to the hammer, or get an old style hammer. Also gonna need old style slide release, and a few other things that I can't remember :bigsmurf: Gettin' old & crusty myself. You have fun now ;)

thespork

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 04:47:12 PM »
Ithaca 37 is probably my favorite pump design. I love the smooth lines of the receiver (no ejection port)...

My advice would be not to bollox it up trying to make it slamfire, which is almost as useless as bump firing...

If you just have to burn off shells faster than you can aim, get a semi.

Aye Kay

• SKS Guru
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 08:58:51 PM »
  We have a Remington Model 10-R factory riot gun that will slam fire, and an old Remington 97',  so no big deal.  There is a method to do it right,  no where near as inaccurate as bump firing. 
   My old parked' 20 inch barrel Ithaca with the 7 or 8 shot mag, (I can't remember exactly) would slam fire too.  I miss that one. 

Michigander

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 10:55:32 PM »

I pulled mine from my 870. If you take a good look at the trigger group it's not hard to figure out.

The problem is that it doesn't legitimately enable slam firing, it only gives you about half an inch of extra leeway to pull the trigger before the slide fully goes forward while the bolt is already closed on the chamber.

It can't and won't cause an out of battery detonation if pulled too soon, but it will cause the hammer to hit the bolt or carrier (can't remember exactly, too lazy to go look) and miss the firing pin. This will cause the slide to have to be re racked, which arguably makes the modification quite stupid, but it shouldn't be a problem for a shotgunner with any experience.

Is it a worth while modification? I think so, but your opinions may vary.
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.

Thomas Jefferson

Michigander

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 11:04:29 PM »
  We have a Remington Model 10-R factory riot gun that will slam fire, and an old Remington 97',  so no big deal.  There is a method to do it right,  no where near as inaccurate as bump firing. 

Don't you mean a Winchester 97?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkCwh-IR_VQ

(Gratuitous 1897 slam firing at 32 seconds  8) )
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.

Thomas Jefferson

wolfgang2000

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 03:08:46 PM »
The older Ithaca's riot guns had a feature where if you held the trigger, it would fire everytine you pumped the slide, (and had ammo).  These guns were bought in the 60's and 70's, and finally retired around 1995.  That is a long life for a non issue line weapon.  (Different people signed it out at the beginning if each shift.)

I've seen more AD's by that feature actual need for it.  I have no idea if the civilian shotguns had that feature.
The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.  Evan Marshall

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 03:12:12 PM »
 All of the old '37's had that feature; sort of a pump slamfire.....

It's a cool oddity, but it never really served a purpose......

The 37, FWIW , was, for many years, the absolute gold standard as far as combat-type pump shotguns went, until the Remington 870 , for various reasons which had nothing to do with the quality or utility of either firearm took that title.....
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 03:46:06 PM by ranger1968 »
Proudly making the world a safer place, one dirtbag at a time....