Author Topic: Ferro Rods and Magnesium Rods  (Read 945 times)

NTJones92

• SKS Expert
Ferro Rods and Magnesium Rods
« on: June 26, 2011, 09:35:24 PM »
I know nothing about these two tools, but they look as if they really work. Dumb question, how many times can you use one? How often do you carry one/use one? (Seems like it would fit right in a pocket, or on a set of keys)

Any other tips or ideas would be cool. Thinking about getting one of each.
Do you know the difference between Justice and Punishment?

Toad

• HMFIC
  • Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • TOM Q VAXY
    • OBEY!
Re: Ferro Rods and Magnesium Rods
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 10:44:14 PM »
Ferro Rods and Magnesium Rods for....?

Welding?

Cathode/Anode?

Dowsing?

...a little more specific.
Prepping and Survival...see Survivor's sister board, http://survivorsprepboard.com/smf/

Heimdhal

• This is breakfast?
  • Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • www.hhholsters.com
    • Heimdhals Hybrid Holsters
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 10:55:06 PM »
I think hes talking about the fire starters.

I've got a couple.  They work.  So does a lighter.  They are handy to have around though, just in case ya know.
"I saw that the State was half-witted, that it was timid as a lone woman with her silver spoons, and that it did not know its friends from its foes, and I lost all remaining respect for it, and pitied it."
--Henry David Thoreau

NTJones92

• SKS Expert
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 01:28:42 PM »
Bingo Heimdhal.

Was looking at getting some. These ones specifically. http://www.usaknifemaker.com/magnesium-rod-and-ferro-rod-with-lanyard-hole-made-just-for-us-p-1618.html

And I just noticed they are out of stock. Gonna have to keep looking around I guess.

Was leaning more towards these than just carrying a lighter. Lighters, great tools, can break, leak, or run out of juice. I was/am looking for something that could fit in my pocket, on my keys, in a BOB, etc etc, that will consistenly give me a good advantage for starting a fire.

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 01:40:02 PM »
 They work very well, but you have to practice, and have a little patience; I have a nice little survival kit that is in each one of my vehicle's and goes with me in the woods , and they all have a mag fire starter; having said that, they all have a lighter , too.

I would do both; the lighter is you first choice; you are cold, tired, hungry, lost, and it's getting dark.....in that situation, every thing you can do to make your situation a little easier is a big deal, and nothing beats flipping a little wheel and getting a steady flame to immediately light that fire which will bring you warmth, security, peace of mind, and even rescue.....If the lighter doesn't work, then it's time to bring in the mag starter....

Here's a link to the small "bottle kit" , maybe it will give you an idea or two... 8)

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=80106.0
Proudly making the world a safer place, one dirtbag at a time....

HI-SPEED

• SKS Gunsmith
  • Survivor of the Great Possum Squashin' of 12/21/12
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 01:43:49 PM »
They're actually more dependable than a lighter if you know how to use either one correctly.

Short answer: Yes, OP, they both work. I own both and use either one interchangeably.

ESEE Knives makes an awesome firekit. It's not badly priced, either.
"Absolute and arbitrary power over the lives, liberty and property of freemen exists nowhere in a republic, not even in the largest majority." -- Constitution of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, Section 2.

NTJones92

• SKS Expert
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 01:47:51 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies guys! I'll take a look.  8)

HI-SPEED

• SKS Gunsmith
  • Survivor of the Great Possum Squashin' of 12/21/12
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 02:51:16 PM »
If you're looking for cheap one just to experiment with you can buy one of the little boyscout models. They're usually just a couple bucks and work fine. I keep one on the mini-kit in the pouch on my knife and have started a bunch of fires with it.
A downside with the magnesium starter, though, it that if you aren't careful how you strike the spark you can scatter your pile of shavings. So I always hold my knife still and pull the mag bar, instead of the other way around (I can't remember, but I think the instructions tell you to move your knife and hold the bar still). I kept knocking my shavings away with the knuckle of my hand.

But, either way..the ESEE kit is probably one of the best I've seen.

http://www.eseeknives.com/fire_kit.htm
"Absolute and arbitrary power over the lives, liberty and property of freemen exists nowhere in a republic, not even in the largest majority." -- Constitution of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, Section 2.

NTJones92

• SKS Expert
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 03:08:53 PM »
If you're looking for cheap one just to experiment with you can buy one of the little boyscout models. They're usually just a couple bucks and work fine. I keep one on the mini-kit in the pouch on my knife and have started a bunch of fires with it.
A downside with the magnesium starter, though, it that if you aren't careful how you strike the spark you can scatter your pile of shavings. So I always hold my knife still and pull the mag bar, instead of the other way around (I can't remember, but I think the instructions tell you to move your knife and hold the bar still). I kept knocking my shavings away with the knuckle of my hand.

But, either way..the ESEE kit is probably one of the best I've seen.

http://www.eseeknives.com/fire_kit.htm

Cool, looks pretty neat.  8)

Gibson_GM

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 07:49:44 PM »
They have them at Wallyworld.
They work.  Cold, wet day, use the shavings WITH a lighter, and bingo, fast fire.
Survival time? No lighter?  Yup, with some patience you can get a fire going pretty easily with one, follow the advice above.  We have like 5 of those things around my house...1 in truck, 1 in pack, 1 in wife's car, her backpack, etc....don't leave home without that and your Multi-tool   8)
Run for your life from any man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leperís bell of an approaching looter.  Ayn Rand

NTJones92

• SKS Expert
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 07:54:10 PM »
They have them at Wallyworld.
They work.  Cold, wet day, use the shavings WITH a lighter, and bingo, fast fire.
Survival time? No lighter?  Yup, with some patience you can get a fire going pretty easily with one, follow the advice above.  We have like 5 of those things around my house...1 in truck, 1 in pack, 1 in wife's car, her backpack, etc....don't leave home without that and your Multi-tool   8)

Haha, cool. Definitely going to be amongst my daily carry soon.  8)

C-ya

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
    • http://edenfijd.tripod.com
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 10:28:58 PM »
I have a ferro rod & mag block.  Used it once.  I like this better.  Easy to use, and starts a fire right quick using cotton balls soaked in vaseline.  (No affiliation with the seller - just found that link with a quick search.)

Search for Blastmatch to see more.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 09:12:53 AM by C-ya »
I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

Toad

• HMFIC
  • Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • TOM Q VAXY
    • OBEY!
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 10:31:36 PM »
I'm still a proponent to a hand full of 99 cent lighters. As long as they're dry, you have instant fire.
Prepping and Survival...see Survivor's sister board, http://survivorsprepboard.com/smf/