Author Topic: SKS - SHTF TACTI-COOL build  (Read 2118 times)

justincpowell

• SKS Newbie
SKS - SHTF TACTI-COOL build
« on: July 05, 2011, 03:15:30 AM »
what i have is a 180$ YUGO 59/66.

nothing matches(numbers wise)

the stock is trashed but i could make it look good with some fabrication and a lot of work.

the barrel is corroded badly, the Gas shut-off valve is stuck(penetrating oil, heat, nothing seems to break it free)

the night sights are nice. so i plan to keep the front sight post for my next build(plan on doing an original build eventually).

so the plan is.........

Tapco T6 stock, one with the rails on the forearm area. 69.97

Tapco Gas piston. 23.09

Receiver cover with rail. 41.99

new gas shut-off valve. 23.00

two tapco 20 round magazines. 15.17(one is going to be free. pm me for details)

angled fore-grip. 39.97

Red dot sight. 60.64

U.S. made muzzle brake - or remedy the 922R compliance by replacing something else with an american made part since i plan yo shorted the barrel down to 16-17 inches.

to top it all off im going to shine up the bolt. reblue the firearm. and im torn between relocation the bayonet(getting a spare front sight and grinding it down to a cylindrical shape.) remove the rear leaf sight and replace with one that ive got reshaped for this no iron sight project. maybe do a tri-rail on the hand-guard to allow for a tactical light

just wanting to get some input.

please be ready for a lot of how to request since this gone is nothing like my G3 clone or the AR15's i have built.

RabbleRouser

• SKS Sniper
  • Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc
Re: SKS - SHTF TACTI-COOL build
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 04:15:20 AM »
do not get the receiver cover rail, they will not stay on target as the receiver cover has a lot of play (wiggle) in it. if you have to mount a scope get a scope mount that you drill and tap into the receiver. another option is a red dot scope that has a longer eye relief so you can mount it on the handguard rail of the tapco stock. as far as the muzzle brake goes if you are cutting the barrel down just dont put ANYTHING on the end and the problem is solved if it is not on the rifle anymore then it dosent count towards your 922r part count. the bayonet....if you are cutting the barrel then you wont be able to keep it because you will most likely be cutting off the bayonet lug and plus with the stock with the bottom rail there is no slot for the bayonet to go into
I just killed a huge spider crawling along the floor with my shoe, I don't care how big a spider is, nobody steals my shoe...

justincpowell

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 05:07:36 AM »
yup i wasn't thinking about the bayonet. i might have my friend machine me a lug to use a detachedable knife style bayonet.

oh i didnt know about that about the cover. so are the aftermarket tapped style on top of the reciever or side mounted like the 91/30 PU snipers(or PSL or Draganov)

Meshuggah12

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 06:57:56 AM »
They are tapped onto the receiver just below the receiver cover.  It is the best option for mounting an optic onto the sks.  Also dont forget if your optic is large enough you might consider a shell deflector as well.

Post pics!

RabbleRouser

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 09:55:46 AM »
www.trulytactical.com sells a lot of stuff for modding your sks including 2 dvds and you can get a premodified lug for mounting an M16A1 bayonet
I just killed a huge spider crawling along the floor with my shoe, I don't care how big a spider is, nobody steals my shoe...

justincpowell

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 01:41:29 AM »
www.trulytactical.com sells a lot of stuff for modding your sks including 2 dvds and you can get a premodified lug for mounting an M16A1 bayonet

Not going to lie. about the bayonet..... i love the sound of that lol.

justincpowell

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 01:45:31 AM »
They are tapped onto the receiver just below the receiver cover.  It is the best option for mounting an optic onto the sks.  Also dont forget if your optic is large enough you might consider a shell deflector as well.

Post pics!

whats the purpose of the deflector?
i'd like to mention that I'm a lefty and don't want to eat anymore brass than I have to lol.

RabbleRouser

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 02:03:33 AM »
the brass when ejected will tend to shoot up and to the right, the deflector will keep them from going too far up and hitting your scope and scratching it up and shifting it off zero.

justincpowell

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 04:25:26 AM »
the brass when ejected will tend to shoot up and to the right, the deflector will keep them from going too far up and hitting your scope and scratching it up and shifting it off zero.

I see. i dont see that posing a problem for me. ive decided on getting red dot optics. however i might get a deflector and a 4X scope for a little versatility.

out of curiosity is there a side rail set up that would let me use a PSO-1 scope

RabbleRouser

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 09:36:33 AM »
yes, there are rails available that you can drill and tap onto your receiver that will allow you to mount a pso scope