Author Topic: AK mags torture test  (Read 4455 times)

lonewolf

• SKS Gunsmith
AK mags torture test
« on: July 13, 2011, 07:50:52 PM »
David Fortier does a mag torture test in the July 20, 2011 Shotgun news..

Interesting read...

Surprising results..

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
Re: AK mags torture test
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 07:53:07 PM »
 Well, don't keep us in suspense; give us a review! :lol:
Proudly making the world a safer place, one dirtbag at a time....

lonewolf

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 09:15:12 PM »
Tested

Com Bloc, TAPCO, I.O. Inc Waffle pattern, ProMag, Bulgarian AK 30rd Mags...

East German, Bulgarian Polymer AK-74 Mags...

Mag compatibility was done with milled Bulgarian reciever, krebs custom built on a Russian Siaga, Century built Yugoslav underfold, I.O. Inc hellcat and a RPK built kit on a US made reciever..

Com bloc, Bulgarian and ProMag fit all of them..ProMag was tight on milled gun and Krebs Custom..

I.O. Inc mag did not fit milled reciever..

Tapco only lock into the I.O. Inc hellcat and the RPK..

East German and Bulgarian had zero issues on a number of ak-74 pattern rifles..

He ran the shooting portion through I.O inc Hellcat, Krebs custom ak-104 7.62x39, old Romanian MKII in 5.45x39...

Heat tested to 160 degrees for 4 hours, zero issues encountered during shooting phase..

Cold tested to 0 degrees chilled for 48hrs, zero issues encountered during shooting..

Rear impact test, simulate if rifle was dropped...Rubber mallet using moderate force 10 times..

Com bloc, east german and Bulgarian absorbed all 10 hits without issue..Also absorbed a further 10 fairly heavy blows without issue..

Tapco failed after 3 blows, mag catch broke..ProMag after 9 blows mag catch broke..
Bulgarian 7.62x39 mag broke after 10 moderate blows and an additional 3 heavy blows..The I.O. Inc mag after 6 blows, but enough of the mag catch was left to lock into the gun and fire all 30rds...

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 09:22:32 PM »
 Thanks Lonewolf, that was a good review; the vast majority of my AK mags are com-bolc surplus, and they are all built like tanks; no real surprise that they performed well.... 8) I can tell you from personal experience that they are some of the heaviest duty mags I have ever seen regardless of type of firearm.

Also nice to know that the Tapco's have a lifetime warranty, as they did not hold up as well as I would have expected them to....

lonewolf

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 09:34:24 PM »
M35A2 roll over, magazines were loaded to capacity and laid on a gravel road and ran over at at 5 mph...

ProMag design failed, base plate crushed and broken and follower was slightly crushed, but worked when installed the internal components and a new base plate..Fired 25 of 30rds..Com Bloc would only for 12 of 30rds, body slightly dented..

50 cal ammo can test weighing 26.4 pounds, dropped from 22 inches on mags on concrete surface...

Initial com bloc test was done at 36in on an empty mag it was badly crushed...

Changed it to 22in on loaded mags..Com bloc was slightly bent, no rounds were able to feed, so none were shot..Floor plate damaged on E Germ, Tapco and both Bulgarian mags, they all locked in and fired all 30rds..ProMag and I.O suffered floor plate failure, do to plate size, rendering mags useless..Replacing floorplate allowed the mags to run smoothly..Another test done without impacting the floorplate, both mags worked..

Final test 8.5 foot drop onto concrete fully loaded, lip first...Chute was used to make sure the impact was to the lips...All the mags except for one absorbed the impact and fired without problems..Com bloc failed on the right lip which bent with enough force not allowing it into the mag well...

lonewolf

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 09:35:55 PM »
Thanks Lonewolf, that was a good review; the vast majority of my AK mags are com-bolc surplus, and they are all built like tanks; no real surprise that they performed well.... 8) I can tell you from personal experience that they are some of the heaviest duty mags I have ever seen regardless of type of firearm.

Also nice to know that the Tapco's have a lifetime warranty, as they did not hold up as well as I would have expected them to....

Had to seperate the results, figured would take a whole page if put down on one posting...

vz2452

• SKS Gunsmith
  • Rifles in avitar last seen in Gulf of Mexico.
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 10:13:38 AM »
Thanks.
I need to get that issue.

So as I understand. My Combloc steel AK47 mags will work as long as I don't drop them on the feed lips, Run them over, or drop a filled 50 cal can on them. I'm sure I can manage to avoid the later two. But being the clumzy fool about droping things that I am maybe I need to get a couple more mags just in case.

Spike 7.62

• SKS Guru
  • Don't Tread On Me
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 04:10:53 PM »
I'm also surprised the TAPCO mags broke under relatively little abuse. I've got two myself, they feed like champs, I just have to make sure I don't bash them with anything. I bet they would look better if aluminum AR mags were tested against their 5.56mm counterparts.
"The nation is divided; half patriots and half traitors. And no man can tell which from which."
Mark Twain

"When you have to shoot; shoot, don't talk."
- Tuco, The Good The Bad & The Ugly

lonewolf

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 11:11:27 PM »
I'm also surprised the TAPCO mags broke under relatively little abuse. I've got two myself, they feed like champs, I just have to make sure I don't bash them with anything. I bet they would look better if aluminum AR mags were tested against their 5.56mm counterparts.

He did a similar test on the AR mags, in one of last years issue..

He was stunned on how many failed in that torture test...

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 09:05:50 AM »
 AR-15 mags, by and large, have always tended to be a bit on the fragile side, regardless of who makes them, and it's only in about the last 10 years or so that they have been made in such a way that the followers run smoothly and they do do not bind up;

The magazine has always been one of the weaker links in that particular system in heavy field use.

jswledhed

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 01:42:42 PM »
Arsenal has several drop test videos on Youtube.

For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq25sisQyDg

Steel or Bulgarian circle 10 milsurps for me, thanks. :?
I've experiments to run.  There is research to be done on the people who are still alive.

http://www.gigabikes.com/

UPdownLoAD

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 12:37:34 PM »
I have converted to mostly Tapco mags (especially for 5.45); I've put them through some basic torture tests with realistic drops and left in fields etc, and for me, Tapco comes out on top (especially since they fit tightly in crappy WASRs with mag wobble on surplus mags and count as 3 922r parts).

YMMV I guess, as this article somewhat proves.

AKBLUE

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 12:44:08 PM »
Mag wobble in an AK is pretty normal and not a functional issue.  While curing that with a TAPCO is a solution., it does sacrifice durability.  If 922r is required.., TAPCO's are a non-mechanical solution.  But IMHO., for durability and authenticity (or closer than the TAPCO's) the steel 5.45 Polish or Romanian, or Polymer Polish or Bulgarian or phenolic East German or Russian are better and more authentic.  But whatever works. :lol:

UPdownLoAD

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 01:10:39 PM »
Had good luck with steel Tantel mags as well, but they don't work too well in my Maadi lol!

What is the worst-case damage (to gun and or mag) in this example- running on pavement with AK and fall face-first; the AK mag loaded in the gun takes the full force of the blow? Could mag wobble with a steel mag inserted cause additional damage?

AKBLUE

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 03:39:07 PM »
Had good luck with steel Tantel mags as well, but they don't work too well in my Maadi lol!

What is the worst-case damage (to gun and or mag) in this example- running on pavement with AK and fall face-first; the AK mag loaded in the gun takes the full force of the blow? Could mag wobble with a steel mag inserted cause additional damage?

Dunno., but would assume no harm to the rifle but a steel mag might bend the floorplate and dent the bottom of the mag body.
A plastic TAPCO., likely shatter the floorplate and perhaps crack or shatter the mag body., and possibly release the mag spring.  But really dunno as I have not tested a face plant with either type. :lol:
Whatever works and is economical.  The slightly rusted Tantal steels were $7 each at the last Knob Creek from Copes.  Cleaned up very well...,  and Yugo BHO and euro for 3 for $25 or 3 for $30 at Coles or Century.., so always a good buying opportunity.