Author Topic: Maverick 88 vs Pardner Pump  (Read 5691 times)

SolidSnake2003

• SKS Expert
  • SKS lover
Maverick 88 vs Pardner Pump
« on: July 14, 2011, 06:42:53 PM »
Is it the old 500 vs 870 debate again?

Mav 88 is copy of Mossberg 500 but with diff. safety location,supposed to be same quality and assembled using same parts.

Pardner Pump is new england firearms copy of Rem 870,and supposedly Remington owns Marlin who owns H&R anyway so it's technicaly a remington...all metal trigger guard,seems rugged as hell.

Mav 88 is 180 at walmart for sale and pardner pump is 160

I do like the dual extractors on the Mav 88 better than only the 1 on the pardner pump just like the remington 870.....

I guess Remington 870's wouldn't be as popular as they are if the 1 extractor didn't work good though,so is it really a moot point?

I just need something extremely cheap for home defense lol.
Love cheap,reliable,and durable guns,metal music,eating,surfing the web,finding new gun info out,meeting cool new people

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
Re: Maverick 88 vs Pardner Pump
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 07:28:21 PM »
 Where are they making the Pardner?
Proudly making the world a safer place, one dirtbag at a time....

SolidSnake2003

• SKS Expert
  • SKS lover
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 08:04:46 PM »
I've heard china supposedly...

Chinese guns are considered good from what I've read,SKS,MAK90,Type 56 AK,Norinco 87 shotgun,Winchester 1897 clone,M14 clone,AR15 clone

I think they just get a bad rap from walmart or something...as long as it works and would go bang when I need it to,doesn't matter to me lol
Love cheap,reliable,and durable guns,metal music,eating,surfing the web,finding new gun info out,meeting cool new people

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 08:06:52 PM »
 I'd go with the Maverick; it's a for- real Mossberg, not a copy ; with a few exceptions, all the parts will interchange with the 500, for sure, and the Maverick is made in the USA......
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 09:14:22 PM by ranger1968 »
Proudly making the world a safer place, one dirtbag at a time....

Spartan

• SKS Expert
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 09:13:25 PM »
Another vote for the Maverick. Just be aware that some Wal-Marts don't carry HD style shotguns, mine didn't.

SolidSnake2003

• SKS Expert
  • SKS lover
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 09:28:38 PM »
yeah mine doesn't either...it's all hunting stuff really.I was surprised they had a whole wall full of 16 gauge ammo,I always heard it was rare.

I was planning on borrowing my dad's hack saw and putting it to either 18 or 20 inches.

With the pardner,it takes all 870 accessories, so I could get a tube extension for it which is a plus. Due to hard times I was forced to sell my winchester 1300 and sks *tear* ....

I'll get em again one day.I would of rather had an AK anyway.Or a Glock 17 or 21...only thing in my area I could find was an SKS.No way I'd do business with the ripoff pawn shops around here with their prices WAY too high.

Maybe I'll find something cheap on texasguntrader and won't have to due the whole trouble of buying it at walmart.but eh.I saw somebody selling a Norinco Blackhawk 87 shotgun on there,an older version of the Pardner pump except it had cool ghost ring sights from the factory on the gun that supposedly would cost as much as the gun itself if sold individually lol.

and the pardner from everything I've read is actually better made than the 870 express on the market today.

The only thing against the pardner I don't like is the slide release being infront of the trigger guard...I liked it on the Mossberg and Winchester how it's behind.On the Maverick it's a "bigger" slide release than I had on my Winchester 1300...I hated how short and snubby it was.If anybody here has a Winchester 1300 they'll know what I'm talking about lol.

TattooedCowboy87

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 09:42:11 PM »
First I can't speak on the 88, second I have a pardner in 12 gauge I've put right at 5000 rounds threw it since last October,  not had one foul up yet.
"live by the sword, die by the sword"

Cursed be the ground for our sake. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for us. For out of the ground we were taken,for the dust we are... and to the dust we shall return

SolidSnake2003

• SKS Expert
  • SKS lover
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 10:10:59 PM »
I've heard the fore-end is rather flimsy on the Maverick 88 since it's set into plastic and not actually attached to metal like on even a Mossberg 500.I've only ever owned that Winchester 1300,but the fore-end and gun in total felt so sturdy.I would hate to buy something and it feel flimsy in my hands.I'd feel undergunned lol

and also when you slide the pump on the Mav88,there's the extractor screw I believe it's called.I've heard of this becoming too loose just on its own and causing the gun to jam up?Anybody ever heard of this happening?

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Maverick88_3.jpg

there's a pic of it....I don't remember seeing anything like that on my winchester 1300......just different operating principles?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 10:36:04 PM by SolidSnake2003 »

Meshuggah12

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 05:19:23 PM »
Ive owned both of these shotguns and ended up selling the pardner.  I have shot many rounds through the mossy and love it for the price I paid.  I got it for 140 at walmart some years ago.  I have never had a problem with it.  Plus its made in the USA.

To be honest with you I dont remember even seeing that screw in there...  I need to check next time I have it out.

Booming Sooner

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 10:25:34 PM »
I can only say I've put several hundred rounds through my 88 without any problems at all. 
If the busses can't run on time, why can you carry a gun?

Greatguns

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse stock folding adapter
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 11:35:59 PM »
Okay, I admit I didn't take time to read all the comments so this may have been said already. My understanding is the Pardners are made in Turkey, which may or may not be correct. My experience of what I have seen in the two different gun shops I have now been involved with is that the Pardner is problematic and poorly built with poor QC. I'd definitely go with the Maverick 88. Still made in America and is basically a modified(stripped down) version of a Mossberg 500 and will take most all 500 accessories.

Striker

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 12:27:45 PM »
From Wikipedia:

The Maverick line of shotguns are assembled in Eagle Pass, Texas using some foreign (Non-USA) manufactured parts, mainly from Mexico; which contributes to their relatively lower price in comparison to the Mossberg 500 series of shotguns which is assembled and manufactured in the USA.

The trigger groups will not interchange between Maverick 88 and Mossberg 500 guns, but the majority of other parts including barrels, stocks, and shell magazines will (the barrel and magazines must be the same length).

Maverick 88 shotguns feature a trigger guard mounted cross-bolt safety as opposed to a top tang safety, which is used on the Mossberg 500 series.

Early Model 88's were equipped with a single slide rail, but this was updated to a dual slide rail in 1990.

Maverick 88's are factory finished with steel bluing only, whereas Mossberg 500's have factory blued, stainless steel or parkerized (receiver/barrel/magazine) options.

If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my children may know peace. - Thomas Paine

SolidSnake2003

• SKS Expert
  • SKS lover
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 01:12:47 PM »
yeah I may just go with the Maverick 88 when I get some money anyway.May just get a Mossberg 500.I'll just see whatever's cheap.I believe I saw brand new Mossberg 500's at my walmart for $199

The Pardner is 159 I think,and the Maverick 88 is 189 from what I remember....it's been months since I checked there.

I might just check texasguntrader and try and find one with a shortened barrel already. *shrug*

spook1122

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Marksman
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 04:57:04 PM »
I had the mav 88. mine wouldnt eject 3''shells.and the blueing wasnt great and forearm felt weak.im about to buy the pardner pump.it felt better made to me.

blueridgenc

• Deceitful Seller
  • SKS Newbie
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 05:20:23 PM »
I have owned both, the maverick is lighter with a slicker action, but the old pardner is built like a tank and recoil to me was very light with 00 buck due to the weight of the gun. The edge to the maverick for me due to weight, but both performed flawlessly for the $$$.