Author Topic: Norinco rifle quality?  (Read 1106 times)

Carter Thiessen

• SKS Newbie
Norinco rifle quality?
« on: July 19, 2011, 02:43:08 PM »
OK so i know this isnt about an SKS but i thought id ask it in the chinese section because it is made by norinco.
here is the gun in question:

http://www.wolverinesupplies.com/default.asp?Pg=8&do=3&mcid=1&scid=12&pid=1754

would this m14/m1a clone be good for some long range plinging and possibly deer hunting?
by long range i mean i would put a 3-9x scope on it and shoot at about 300-500 yards.
is it a complete piece of junk? the only experience i have with norinco is with my sks which i love!
would it function as good as a real m1a and would it take the same accesories like same mags and stocks?
or am i better off dropping 2 grand to buy this gun:

http://www.wolverinesupplies.com/default.asp?Pg=8&do=3&mcid=1&scid=12&pid=46

Any help is apreciated.

Carter Thiessen

• SKS Newbie
Re: Norinco rifle quality?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 02:59:57 PM »
And also would i be able to shoot both 308 and 7.62 nato out of it? the norinco i mean.

Jman_01

• SKS Shooter
  • ..I'm ready..are you..
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 03:02:49 PM »
Wow didn't norinco made a 308.. my norinco shoots effing straight at minimum 200yds..  could only imagine that "knockoff " being better as its caliber is made for longer range!  Id say go for it bro.. I mean is it worth having an accurate rifle at half price.. hell yes!  Let us know what u do and post details

Jman_01

• SKS Shooter
  • ..I'm ready..are you..
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 03:04:36 PM »
Seems like a no brainer. can save on ammo . That's neat

rich

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru

1srelluc

• SKS Gunsmith
  • Well....It can't hurt.
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 07:33:34 AM »
Some had questionable bolts. I've seen two come through a local smith's shop with bolts broken at the extractor in the last year. That said both were well used with lots of rounds down range. The smith replaced them with GI bolts but had to do a good deal of hand fitting on both.

Meh.....If I could find one under $700 with not too many miles on it I'd buy it.
Senator...Don't pee down my back and tell me it's raining...

MakarovingCharges

• SKS Guru
  • Makarov: The OTHER CCW choice
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 03:27:59 PM »
Only shoot 7.62x39 out of your simonov. It is not chambered for any other calibre. Norinco SKS's are good quality. It's their AK's that occassionally get the bad rep. While both are called "type 56" you need to be wary of mising them up aside from the round and generally very robust easy to maintain characteristics the tyo types of weapon have not so much in common.

They were developed in parrallel to replace the aging Mosin nagant rifle, by two different people. Simonov stayed closer to what the old party hard liners wanted and Kalashnikov went for full auto.
Well, it's official. All three of the branches of the Federal Government are using the constitution as if it were TP. RIP Freedom and freewill the old republic has been replaced by a very potent kleptocracy. We're getting what we deserve, I guess.

KOOLmike

• MEMBER IS BANNED
  • SKS Guru
  • MEMBER IS BANNED
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 03:40:02 PM »
I've owned a couple MAK-90s, and they were the nicest AK variants I've ever shot. I have experience with several Romy AKs, Yugo, Bulgarian, and Maadi, and the Norincos were by far the best quality.

Everyone knows how much I love a Norinco SKS as well. Never shot their M1A clone, but if it is as nice as their AKs and SKSs, I don't think you can go wrong.
MEMBER IS BANNED

BigBill

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 12:20:30 PM »
My norinco sks's and my norc 1911 build has been awesome so far. The norc has the forged steel receicer/bolt and chrome lined bore and chamber barrel. Fulton armory said all the stuff said about the norico are myths.  Seeing the norc m14 at this affordable price to me made me jump on and the low price allows me to upgrade it with some goodies too.  I added the national match op rod spring guide, the wolf extra power spring,  i have the fulton armory tactical mag latch comming soon and i'm working on an adjustable gas system too.  Next i need the low light/night front site. It passed on the 7,62nato and the 308win field hedspace gauges so far and i just received the 308 go & no go headspace gauges yesterday so i can check it today.  If it passes on the go headspace gauge i have a winner here i'm golden.  If not i have a good platform for an m14 build.   Bill

Zer0DazE

• SKS Gunsmith
  • I will deport you
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 02:17:53 PM »
Bill odds are it will close on a 308 no-go.  They were chambered to NATO spec.

Safe chamber headspace for the .308 Winchester cartidge is between 1.6300 and 1.6340 inches. The equivalent minimum and maximum values for 7.62x51mm NATO chambers are 1.6355 and 1.6405 inches. Here are those numbers in chart form:

.308 Winchester: GO 1.6300, NO-GO 1.6340    
7.62x51mm NATO: GO 1.6355, NO-GO 1.6405

BigBill

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 12:45:54 PM »
Bill odds are it will close on a 308 no-go.  They were chambered to NATO spec.

Safe chamber headspace for the .308 Winchester cartidge is between 1.6300 and 1.6340 inches. The equivalent minimum and maximum values for 7.62x51mm NATO chambers are 1.6355 and 1.6405 inches. Here are those numbers in chart form:

.308 Winchester: GO 1.6300, NO-GO 1.6340    
7.62x51mm NATO: GO 1.6355, NO-GO 1.6405

Your the only one who posted info about this so far.  Everyone i questioned throws up a ? mark back at me no one really answers me with the facts so i have to do it on my own.  But you knew about it.

I just ordered the go & no-go 308 headspace gauges and tried them.  I need the nato gauges that are inbetween the no go 308 and the field 308 next.  Its a 7,62 nato chamber.