Author Topic: Needed Targets - Homemade IDPA  (Read 1634 times)

Frisco Pete

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
Needed Targets - Homemade IDPA
« on: July 28, 2011, 09:19:58 PM »
I always need targets for my pistol shooting and like to practice on both steel plates and paper.  You can shoot paper a lot closer than steel to replicate likely defensive scenarios, plus you know where you shot.

Problem is that actual targets like this are expensive and sometimes you are out of them when you want to shoot.  I was bored today and put into effect a plan I've had in my head for a long time.  I looked up specs for an IDPA target (www.idpa.com) and found them on page 73 of their rules PDF.  It is a "humanoid" shape buff-colored cardboard affair 18" x 30".  Generally going by those dimensions, I made a template.  IDPA targets have some inner scoring zones including an 8" circle in the chest area.  On actual targets this is delineated by lines impressed (scored) into the target so they are not all that visible.  I can't do that, so I cut some slots into the cardboard template to mark the scoring zones.  When I was done I laid my template down on some large pieces of cardboard I had cut out of a big box, and proceeded to spray paint the border and the scoring zone cutouts.  With some of the pieces I had to adjust the template because some were a hair too narrow or short.  But basically I got 90% of the target on those smaller pieces. 

I had to kick myself for getting rid of several large boxes at the dump recently!  Nevertheless I ended up with 10 IDPA practice targets that should work great.  You could also use poster board or even butcher paper.  The IDPA humanoid isn't exactly anatomically correct, but you could find a target that was and use that as a pattern for your template if you wanted to.  You could use any color spray paint or even a different color paint for the scoring zones that blends better (like the IDPA scored imprints).   Next stop - the range!

Pistol is an XD45
Advice is seldom welcome; and those who want it the most always like it the least.
[Lord Chesterfield]

He who dies with the most 22 LR ammo wins...

Michigander

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
Re: Needed Targets - Homemade IDPA
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 09:58:22 PM »
I've been making targets with scrounged supplies this way for the past couple years. One of my favorites is plastic garbage bags which I heavily spray paint. Works very much like a shoot n see, the problem being that you can't really use them indoors since they make a mess with paint chips. I also like to use scrounged cardboard and flooring paper, which are less messy. Any of these work great for informal outdoor shooting.
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.

Thomas Jefferson

nhblaze

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Ruger Blackhawk Proudly made in Newport NH
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 02:58:08 PM »
FP

raid your wife's sewing basket and get her tracing wheel to make the impressions on the cardboard

My retirement plan is simple, I'm only working until
noon the day of my funeral.

Frisco Pete

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 12:08:22 AM »
That would work - a little more tedious than the painted inner line marks though.
Advice is seldom welcome; and those who want it the most always like it the least.
[Lord Chesterfield]

He who dies with the most 22 LR ammo wins...

Tangara

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 11:38:26 AM »
Here is my home made target.  A couple of years ago I went to the range and hanging on the berm was this paper silhouette target with five holes in it, I think it was a qualifying target for a LEO.  I rolled it up and took it home with the intentions of using it later.  I then thought it would be good to make a template with the shape.  The template was made from a 3/16" plastic mud flap from local construction company that the kids picked up on the side of the road.  It was new and never bolted on a truck and god only knows why my kids thought I needed a semi mud flap?  I use scrounged cardboard and have found the 18 pack beer bottles and 24 case of beer can packaging fit the template about perfect.  The only problem is that since I cut way back on my drinking, these do not last very long.  I try to find the cheapest florescent spray paint I can get.

Heimdhal

• This is breakfast?
  • Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • www.hhholsters.com
    • Heimdhals Hybrid Holsters
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 02:30:07 PM »
I made an even crappier template and brought it to the SKS shoot this past march.  It was a big hit.  Wal-Mart spray paint is the cheapest, at under a buck a can and they last through a bunch of targets. 

I made some stencils of lungs, hearts, spinal cords, guns and hands so it can be customised on the fly.  Hands up target (non-threat), easy, just put the hand stencil down and spray.  Want to practice some heart shots, same deal, etc.

Theres two stencils I use, one for rifles (Distance) and one for pistols.  It doesnt REALLY matter, but its just there as an option.  THe rifle target is a little bigger, but still only 16.5 inches across at the shoulder.  Its designed to be a little more subtle at distance, a kind of vauge outline, subdued if you will:

Then theres the pistol which is a little more detailed for better readability on shot placement:

Heres one with some of the stencils.  I over sprayed and it got a little drippy, so just pretend the target is attacking you in a pool:

Like I said, they were a big hit to those that used them at the SKS shoot and I had a little station up where people could spray their own at will, so some got customized in amusing ways.

As a bonus:

Heres a pop up target stand I made, displaying one of the targets:
"I saw that the State was half-witted, that it was timid as a lone woman with her silver spoons, and that it did not know its friends from its foes, and I lost all remaining respect for it, and pitied it."
--Henry David Thoreau

Marc10000

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 07:45:07 PM »
http://www.targetz.com/

(Multi Part tab) #40001, 36X44in prints on 16 sheets.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 08:33:37 PM by Marc10000 »