Author Topic: Springfield Stevens 87A  (Read 12938 times)

Mr.Coinring

• THIS MEMBER HAS BEEN BANNED
  • SKS Guru
  • MEMBER HAS BEEN BANNED
Springfield Stevens 87A
« on: August 16, 2011, 03:15:20 PM »
Not really sure if this rifle is a (C&R) yet, but I know it was made from the mid 40's to mid 60's.

Thought I would post up some pics..... I received it from my father who had it about a month or so and purchased it for about $75 . First time he shot it the last round jammed something horrible and instead of fooling around with it....he gave it to me. After taking the stock off I found that the round "lifter" tried to chop a round in half. The rifle was reaaaaally nasty, was missing one of the two screws holding the trigger mechanism to the receiver, and the trigger itself was super loose from side to side.

After cleaning the living heck out of it, I did a little steel-wooling and cold blue over the whole thing, pinched the trigger mechanism together in a vise and re-peened the cross pins, and replaced the missing screw. Also had to paint the trigger guard because it was bare aluminum.  :?

It is now a fully functioning rifle with zero hiccups. It has been drilled for a top rail scope mount, but I need to get a scope for it. The only thing missing is the front site post. Perhaps I can find one on-line somewhere.

The bore is in mint shape and has proven to be an accurate shooter with a scope before it jammed up on my father. I love the side "gill" louvers and the strange action how the bolt dont go forward and re-chamber a new round until you release the trigger.....little weird but cool.

Any-how.... here she is!

THIS MEMBER HAS BEEN BANNED

ozarkrecluse

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
Re: Springfield Stevens 87A
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 03:45:56 PM »
Very good looking rifle!

ratpacker04

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • No, this is not Tom Clancy.
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 08:07:07 PM »
Wow! How long is that barrel? And what caliber?
Good girls go to Heaven. Bad girls go everywhere.

Mr.Coinring

• SKS Guru
  • MEMBER HAS BEEN BANNED
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 08:23:31 PM »
Wow! How long is that barrel? And what caliber?

Its a semi-auto 22. The barrel length is 24" from breach to muzzle. It shoots 22LR in semi-auto, and 22S/22L in "bolt action mode". The charging knob actually pushes inward to lock the bolt forward for "bolt action". you can also push it in to hold the bolt open...Pretty neat little rifle.

Here is a video I found of the action in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk_2xKMY6mg
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 08:40:02 PM by mr.coinring »

stockcarracer

• Deceitful Seller
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • COONASS ON GAS
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 09:09:58 PM »
WOW  :shock: :shock: I love her. I have 7 Stevens Shottys. That rifle is a beauty. I would love to get one. Congrats
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

tracker1

• SKS Gunsmith
  • Sometimes an IQ of "1" is a Good Thing
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
MCR,

Very nice piece from the family.  A keeper for sure.  Enjoy!

T1
If more SANE people were armed, the CRAZY people would get off fewer shots.  Avg # of people killed in mass shootings when stopped by the police 18.5.  Avg # of people killed in mass shootings when stopped by civilians 2.2

shawker71

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • WECSOG alumni
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 10:42:49 PM »
Mr Coinring, if it is marked Springfield then it is C&R because they were only made from 1938-1945 I believe. I have a pawnshop find 87A I bought a couple years ago and did a little looking and those were the dates of mfg I found. The same rifle was made under different brands for a long time but for Springfield those are the only dates. Here is what my reference was:

From oldguns.net

# 1326 - Springfield 87A
6/30/98
John Ohio
Maker Model Caliber Barrel Length Finish Serial Number
Springfield 87A 22 short, long, or long rifle Unknown Blue none

I recently purchased a .22 semi-auto. It says Springfield Model 87A. Also: J. Stevens Arms company, Chicopee Falls, Mass. USA. On the right side below the rear sight is says: patent 2094577 others pending. No serial #'s found including in the interior. Tube fed magazine, capacity unknown. Blued barrel. On the left side below the rear sight it says: .22 short, long, or long rifled, Long rifle only as automatic. Any info you can give me on this gun would be appreciated. Thanks. John

Answer:
John, My records indicate that 200,000 model 87 rifles were manufactured by Stevens between 1938 and 1945, values are in the $50.00 range... Marc
When the cup is so full of awesome soup, how can there be any room left for anything else.   Crackers, you say?  I think not, the crackers are out classed as well - Heimdhal

Tangara

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 11:23:08 PM »
I also have one of 87A that I picked up at a pawn shop.  They had it marked at $60 and I talked them down to $45.  The stock has several dings and scratches and the bluing on the barrel is well worn and a few light rust spots here and there but the bore looked shinny and new.  I shot a couple of times and it is a good shooter.  I then broke it down for a detailed cleaning and have not put it back together yet.  I do have a Weaver 1" detachable side scope mount #2 that I acquired in a lot of gun parts purchase and the 87 is listed as a rifle it will fit.  Small game season is just around the corner and I think I should get this back together and find an old weaver scope to go with it.  Mr Coinring it is cool that yours is a family gun and has some history behind it, I am glad you got it fixed and running well it is a nice looking rifle.

1srelluc

• SKS Gunsmith
  • Well....It can't hurt.
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 07:36:20 AM »
I have it's older brother in a Savage 6A. The 6As were not D&Ted for a mount. Great shooter.

...As well as the last of the breed with the Savage/Stevens 987. It wears a 60s era Bushnell Custom .22 scope now. Another fine shooter.

The old "clickity-clacks" are hard to beat when they run well. OP a friend had one like yours with a can and a old Weaver scope/side mount on it. You can also shoot shorts through it but have to work the action as a straight pull.

Folks really miss the boat when they pass-up the older .22s if they are priced right.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 07:50:49 AM by 1srelluc »
Senator...Don't pee down my back and tell me it's raining...

Mr.Coinring

• SKS Guru
  • MEMBER HAS BEEN BANNED
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 08:19:10 AM »
Mr Coinring, if it is marked Springfield then it is C&R because they were only made from 1938-1945 I believe. I have a pawnshop find 87A I bought a couple years ago and did a little looking and those were the dates of mfg I found. The same rifle was made under different brands for a long time but for Springfield those are the only dates. Here is what my reference was:

From oldguns.net

# 1326 - Springfield 87A
6/30/98
John Ohio
Maker Model Caliber Barrel Length Finish Serial Number
Springfield 87A 22 short, long, or long rifle Unknown Blue none

I recently purchased a .22 semi-auto. It says Springfield Model 87A. Also: J. Stevens Arms company, Chicopee Falls, Mass. USA. On the right side below the rear sight is says: patent 2094577 others pending. No serial #'s found including in the interior. Tube fed magazine, capacity unknown. Blued barrel. On the left side below the rear sight it says: .22 short, long, or long rifled, Long rifle only as automatic. Any info you can give me on this gun would be appreciated. Thanks. John

Answer:
John, My records indicate that 200,000 model 87 rifles were manufactured by Stevens between 1938 and 1945, values are in the $50.00 range... Marc

If this John guy was talking about the pat# being in the 200,000 something is off because the main pat# above and on my rifle are 7 digits not 6. Also.. I read somewhere that the 1938 to 1945 models were supposed to have checkering on the stock.  :?

Other than that it is exactly the same as the description in your post... Definitely says Springfield. I know that post was from 1998, but I sure hope its worth more than $50  :lol: 

Thanks for all the comments guys!

shawker71

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • WECSOG alumni
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 11:53:58 PM »
Unfortunately I believe that maybe $75 is the top end that I would go for for one. I enjoy shooting it but i have 4 other .22's so it is a rotation thing as to whether it goes out.
When the cup is so full of awesome soup, how can there be any room left for anything else.   Crackers, you say?  I think not, the crackers are out classed as well - Heimdhal

Generator

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
  • shop smart, shop S-Mart
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 09:08:43 AM »
I've got two of these and a Savage 6a.  I absolutely love them.
The 6a is drilled and tapped but I assume this was done by a previous owner.  It also has the checkered grip.  I've read that the checkered grip indicades a pre-1945 gun and that the Steven 87s were manufactured later.  Some of this info was from a gun price book my friend has and some is from reading online... so the Stevens might also be as old.
Luckily numrich has parts for these, I've had to get a new lifter and spring for one.  Now I just need the rest of the Stevens 87 line of models.
Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

erie1700

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 02:27:13 PM »
Hate to bring up an old thread, but I'm desperate and this thread seemed to have several people in it who could help me out. I've been looking for information on getting a scope mount for my 87A. I am NOT, I repeat NOT looking for a side mount. Nothing really turned up in Google searches and when I contacted the two people who had videos of an 87A with a top mount on YouTube, they "couldn't remember" what the maker or model number of their top mounts was. Incredibly frustrating.

I'm basically looking for the model number of the weaver mount that would fit the TOP of my 87A. Yes I know I have to get it drilled and tapped. I just need to know what mount to buy so I can get the process started. Again, sorry for bringing up an old thread, and thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

erie1700

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 02:06:25 PM »
?

Beermaker

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 10:37:39 AM »
Hate to bring up an old thread, but I'm desperate and this thread seemed to have several people in it who could help me out. I've been looking for information on getting a scope mount for my 87A. I am NOT, I repeat NOT looking for a side mount. Nothing really turned up in Google searches and when I contacted the two people who had videos of an 87A with a top mount on YouTube, they "couldn't remember" what the maker or model number of their top mounts was. Incredibly frustrating.

I'm basically looking for the model number of the weaver mount that would fit the TOP of my 87A. Yes I know I have to get it drilled and tapped. I just need to know what mount to buy so I can get the process started. Again, sorry for bringing up an old thread, and thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Just happened to notice this one.  If you don't have or don't want to use the 11mm dovetail groove look at this thread and find a Weaver mount that is close to the diameter of the receiver. I think just under the diameter size would fit snug.  Hope it helps you out.
http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=117096.0
Stress - The result of having to control the urge and not choke the S*&% out of someone who desperately needs it.