Author Topic: Yugo accuracy?  (Read 2140 times)

mattri

• SKS Newbie
Yugo accuracy?
« on: September 02, 2011, 08:07:49 PM »
Obviously any used sks is a bit of a gamble accuracy-wise. Are the Yugos any better or worse than others for accuracy?
Looking at a Yugo at the lgs. Bore looks to be in good shape. Anything in particular to look for?

kgrooms

• SKS Marksman
Re: Yugo accuracy?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 06:14:18 AM »
Ive had good luck on the accuracy on my 2 Yugos. One has a mint barrel other is a bit dark. Only thing thats a pain is the grenade lancher on the end makes it hard to examine the muzzle and crown. The one I have with the darker barrel had some bad muzzle wear and corrosion so I cut roughly half the threads off and re crowned it and its great now. Other thing is the gas system. Make sure the gas valve and tube isnt corroded but if the bore looks good you should be ok.

dmax

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 03:46:18 PM »
my yugo was unissued so the bore is mint in mine. accuracy seems to have got better the more rounds i put threw her and shes shooting very well now after 300~ rounds

i would inspect the bore on any yugo that does not appear to be unissued because they are not chrome lined and if not taken care of the bore can and will rust out esp if someone shot corrosive ammo through it and never properly cleaned it afterwards like yugo surplus ammo

only recent target photo i have is this one done at 50 yards with Wolf FJM black box ammo (cheap stuff)

the last time i took it to the range i was with a buddy and we shot the crap out of it so i didnt bother taking pictures but needless to say when i was shooting it that time it held an even tighter group than you see above, i managed to shoot out a circle about 1" in diam out completely with a dozen or so shots

rynhak

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 12:15:52 AM »
All nice combat effective hits...which is what shes designed to do.
<< Yugo M59/66A1 >>

7.62SniperX

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 09:42:12 AM »
Non milsurp guys tend to knock the accuracy of SKS and other milsurp weapons but the tend to forget that these were designed to hit men on a battlefield not little black rings on a piece of paper at the rifle range.   
You build on failure. You use it as a stepping stone. Close the door on the past. You don't try to forget the mistakes, but you don't dwell on it. You don't let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space.
-Johnny Cash

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 02:35:51 PM »
Non milsurp guys tend to knock the accuracy of SKS and other milsurp weapons but the tend to forget that these were designed to hit men on a battlefield not little black rings on a piece of paper at the rifle range.   

Well said, sir. 8)
Proudly making the world a safer place, one dirtbag at a time....

1mlt

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • No place but TEXAS
    • TheSKSmagAdapter, LLC
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 07:11:07 PM »
The SKS platform, has been referred to around here, on many occasions, as having an accuracy at 150 yards called, "Minute Of Man".

Marcus
There is but one language and that is the English language. Teddy R., 1907
Duck-bill-less mag adapters for the SKS are located at
www.thesksmagadapter.com

mattri

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 07:28:50 PM »
Thanks for all of the replies.  If I do pick up an SKS it may see double duty as a deer rifle.  We're talking whitetails at less than 100 yards so I don't need 1/4 MOA by any means. 

JackOfTraDeZ

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 12:29:19 AM »
ALl my other SKS shoot 3-4 inch at 100 yard (bench rest, a little more for off-hand).

The Yugo appears to be not as accurate, but I have only fired a few dozen rounds thru it; it looks military new / unissued so maybe it needs to be "burned in" for accuracy.

Or, I suspect, the grenade launcher compromises accuracy because it will create turbulence due to the confined muzzle blast as the bullet exits.

More range time will determine ,,,,,

Fear God. Nothing Else.

Huff

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Marksman
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 10:26:10 PM »
My Yugo was unissued unfired when I got it. It out shoots me for sure. I did add a scope ( reciever cover mount ) and helped my old eyes. At 60 yds it pretty much just stacks the holes on top of each other. Most groups at this distance could be covered with a quarter. It is much better than I expected from a milsurp. This is shooting with a rest and not off hand.
I recently did a little Bubba as I cut off the GL, Bayonet, and shortened the barrel to just behind the bayonet catch when I shot the good groups.
I'll get some pics tomorrow, I kept the flip up night sights!
enough, that is another thread.
huff
Gun Totin' Liberal Navy Vet (not a "Liberal") but civil libertarian.

Tank_ba

• SKS Expert
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 12:25:06 AM »
My Yugo was an unissued and I have added a scout scope setup with a simmons 2x6 long eye relief and off sandbags can regulary hit 3" groups at 100 yards with brown bear ammo. I think that is better than "minute of man" but I'm off a rest with no one shooting back at me. It's still a fine combat weapon, with .30 caliber knockdown power.
Tank - easy to make fun of, hard to embarrass.

KAIFS

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 01:03:20 AM »
3.5" groups at 100m before modifications.  Under 2" after modifications.  Modifications:  barrel cut off at 16.25", recrowned, recoil buffer, scope with scope bolt cover (new generation with a retaining screws(2 on each side) to the receiver, receiver slightly drilled in to accommodate tight fit for the cover/scope mount, cheap retaining screws replaced with a heavy duty allen type bolts (cut to length).   Scope: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/Firefield-15-5x32-mm-Green-Laser-Rifle-Scope-Matte-Black.aspx?a=713605&pm2d=CSE-SPG-3-GOOGLE&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse , green laser is a pain to set but once it is adjusted right (vise helps) - it functions.  Basically with open sights - 2x improvement with a barrel capable of float without all that extra weight.
looking for 6.5x55swede rifles:
M94 - matching
CG-80
M94-14 - matching

cbdolphin

• SKS Guru
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 01:07:47 AM »

IMO aslong as you can effectively shoot MO-chest you've got yourself a good gun!