Author Topic: Gas block front sight combos  (Read 5854 times)

CPL_Primeaux

• SKS Gunsmith
  • ESSAYONS !
Gas block front sight combos
« on: September 12, 2011, 11:52:20 AM »
I was just wondering what good gas block front sight combos are out there for the AK.I have looked at a few bolt on and pin on models. Will I need a gunsmith to install them or can I do it myself?
I collect bones

F*** it... Stop the slow bleed.
Unite all gun owners at the same time, and party like it's 1776

Onepoint

• Administrator
  • SKS Guru
  • نعم أنا كافرة, شكور ل يسأل!
    • Gary's Gun Shop LLC - Torrington WY
Re: Gas block front sight combos
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 05:35:11 PM »
The bolt on ones are do it yourself, some of the pinned ones can be a bear to align without a jig like they use at the factory. It can be done, it just takes a lot of care an checking to make sure before you drill the pins. If you have a barrel that is drilled already sometimes you can get lucky and just drill the block while chasing the slots on the barrel.
"War is not 'the best way of settling differences; it is the only way of preventing them being settled for you." - G.K.Chesterson /   "Reality is that which, when you refuse to believe, or stop believing in it, does not go away."

www.garysgunshopllc.com

GUDERIANSDOG

• Spinner of ripping yarns.
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Sic Semper Tyrannous
    • "A Cruel Thing- A Tale of American Spirits"
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 07:17:01 PM »
You can also build your own Galil Style sight/ gas block combo using just a standard AK inexpensive 90 or 45 degree gas block and a donor HK Triple Frame sight assembly. They are like $15.00 from: http://www.robertrtg.com/g3frontsight.html

A little work, the mig welder or silver solder lets you turn this:

Into this:

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-Dr. Benjamin Franklin
“Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.”
-C.S. Lewis

CPL_Primeaux

• SKS Gunsmith
  • ESSAYONS !
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 07:43:15 PM »
You can also build your own Galil Style sight/ gas block combo using just a standard AK inexpensive 90 or 45 degree gas block and a donor HK Triple Frame sight assembly. They are like $15.00 from: http://www.robertrtg.com/g3frontsight.html

A little work, the mig welder or silver solder lets you turn this:

Into this:

I like that idea. I may just go ahead and do that.
I collect bones

GUDERIANSDOG

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Sic Semper Tyrannous
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 09:51:21 PM »
Personally I just can't pay Kvar $150 for a real Krink FSB. So I am using that HK FGB sight on a AK74 90 degree gas block with a Williams Peep sight mod on a receiver cover to give my rifle a longer sight plane.

But the matching HK rear drum sight units are also available cheap with the base to weld on to a receiver cover. The pair are available for $44.00 on that same site(I bet Red Jacket charges $300.00 a set for them! :lol:): http://www.robertrtg.com/hkaksightset.html

« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 07:33:28 AM by GUDERIANSDOG »
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-Dr. Benjamin Franklin
“Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.”
-C.S. Lewis

CPL_Primeaux

• SKS Gunsmith
  • ESSAYONS !
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 10:39:46 PM »
Awesome. That all looks good to me.
I collect bones

GUDERIANSDOG

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Sic Semper Tyrannous
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 12:59:37 AM »
All of the rear receiver sight mods seem to work best on the heavier plain Saiga style non-ribbed covers.
-Dr. Benjamin Franklin
-C.S. Lewis

Onepoint

• Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 01:16:55 AM »
Or Chinese smooth ones if you can find them.

Check the FAQ there is a tutorial on making one as well.

You can also cut your front sight and weld it to the gas block for a no cost option.
"War is not 'the best way of settling differences; it is the only way of preventing them being settled for you." - G.K.Chesterson /   "Reality is that which, when you refuse to believe, or stop believing in it, does not go away."

www.garysgunshopllc.com

GUDERIANSDOG

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Sic Semper Tyrannous
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 07:07:22 AM »
Here is Onepoint's A2 peep build tutorial:
http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=16767.0

AKBlue's frankenbuild from 09 where he built an AK FSB from a regular front sight and a regular gas block.
http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=55109.0

Myself I can't weld worth a damn, but this machinist named Restoreit1 has built some really nice Krinkov-style FSB's at home. He does them professionally too, and is reasonable. http://home.comcast.net/~restoreit1/
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64348

« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 10:11:03 AM by GUDERIANSDOG »
-Dr. Benjamin Franklin
-C.S. Lewis

AKBLUE

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 09:54:44 AM »
restoreit1., GB and FSB reweld.  I had some FUBAR AK74 parts I got in a lot and had them welded.
You can also get integrated FSB/GB's from K-Var and IO/Royal Tiger but $$ and require other mods for fitment etc.

GUDERIANSDOG

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Sic Semper Tyrannous
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 10:27:39 AM »
Blue I like your little FSB jig fixture, that was a slick idea.

-Dr. Benjamin Franklin
-C.S. Lewis

rich

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 10:47:02 AM »

Alright Blue, let's get down to the nitty-gritty.  Since I'm never going to get around to building one , how much for you to part with one of these? :lol:

CPL, I'm glad you asked this question.  I had been looking for OP's tutorial on that A2 rear site for a while and couldn't find it in the faq.  G'dog, thanks for posting it.  OP, thanks for doing it 8)

CPL_Primeaux

• SKS Gunsmith
  • ESSAYONS !
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 11:34:31 AM »
Yea I think the best thing would be to custom make one like most of these guys have done. They look really good.  I am about to make a post about AK rails that may be interesting to some as well.
I collect bones

Onepoint

• Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 11:52:56 AM »
Oh man a jig would be so much easier.  I did the hard way using the TLAR method (That Looks About Right) and then measure it, not a lot of room for error.  I did mine on rifle so it was relatively easy to check though.  And it was pretty straight forward, i.e. cut it off, trim to height and weld it on, the worst part was getting gumption cutting it off the perfectly good Saiga to start with. :)

1st I did on a Saiga

This is one I did on a Romy G build.

Needless to say, it works and looks much better on the straight rather than the sloped  style gas blocks.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 12:06:07 PM by Onepoint »

www.garysgunshopllc.com

AKBLUE

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 02:32:48 PM »
Lots of possibilities., some off the shelf, some with detailed welding and some a bit easier weld work and less expensive.

IO used to sell these for $59 but now they are like $89 if in stock at all.  Kinda pricey.

K-Var but they are $100+ unless they go on sale.