Author Topic: SKS "Jungle" fiberglass stocks, pros and cons? EDIT: includes synthetic types  (Read 2449 times)

crazy4milsurps

• SKS Gunsmith
  • Just plain beautiful!!!!!
I am thinking of grabing one to bear the use instead of damaging the lamie on the Ruskie. Anybody that has / had one can you take the time to tell me your opinions regarding the "Jungle" stock? I don't want to go into the whole aftermarket realm, I just want something to beat up and maybe even modify a little reshape, paint whatever so, this would be my best route therefore
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 08:41:17 PM by crazy4milsurps »
"If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. We are the last stand!" -Ronald Reagan

We murdered Gaddafi!!!

wolfgang2000

• SKS Gunsmith
Re: SKS "Jungle" fiberglass stocks, pros and cons?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 08:33:07 PM »
All my SKS's have polymer or the red "jungle" stock.  My wife's sks has the red fiberglass stock on it since the early 90's.  So far it's doing well.  I have seen them split down the middle.  (They are made in 2 halves and glued together.)  But mine are still OK.

I prefer the polymer stocks.  They just feel more substantial.  You could get a used ATI Monte Carlo or a Choate stock do what you want with it and still have a better stock, IMO.
“The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.”  Evan Marshall

crazy4milsurps

• SKS Gunsmith
  • Just plain beautiful!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 08:39:49 PM »
All my SKS's have polymer or the red "jungle" stock.  My wife's sks has the red fiberglass stock on it since the early 90's.  So far it's doing well.  I have seen them split down the middle.  (They are made in 2 halves and glued together.)  But mine are still OK.

I prefer the polymer stocks.  They just feel more substantial.  You could get a used ATI Monte Carlo or a Choate stock do what you want with it and still have a better stock, IMO.
Have you ever had the chance to compare the Choate to the Ramline? I had a ramline and I liked the contour and ergonomics but it just seemed too ...... it felt like it was missing something, I have no idea what but it just seemed less of something.
"If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. We are the last stand!" -Ronald Reagan

We murdered Gaddafi!!!

wolfgang2000

• SKS Gunsmith
Its been a while since I handled a Ram line stock, so I'll not comment on it.  The Choate is a nice well made stock but I felt that the pistol grip portion of the stock was too thin.  I know others who swear by them.  Personelly I preferred the Butler Creek stock.  That is what I have on my para that I hunt with.  It's heavier that the other 2, but it fits me well.

Stocks are like any thing else.  Different people like different things.  I don't believe there is a "wrong".  If it fits you and the rifle go for it.

Like you my SKS's are working guns.  I don't want to have to worry scratching things up.  If I could find affordable polymer stocks for my Browning BLR I would put them on in a heart beat. 
“The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.”  Evan Marshall

Lafayettegregory

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 02:43:28 PM »
All my SKS's have polymer or the red "jungle" stock.  My wife's sks has the red fiberglass stock on it since the early 90's.  So far it's doing well.  I have seen them split down the middle.  (They are made in 2 halves and glued together.)  But mine are still OK.

I prefer the polymer stocks.  They just feel more substantial.  You could get a used ATI Monte Carlo or a Choate stock do what you want with it and still have a better stock, IMO.
Have you ever had the chance to compare the Choate to the Ramline? I had a ramline and I liked the contour and ergonomics but it just seemed too ...... it felt like it was missing something, I have no idea what but it just seemed less of something.
I prefer the ramline.
Found it:
This is a ramline stock. This color is  no longer available.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 02:59:30 PM by Lafayettegregory »

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
 I prefer the look of the Ramline as well; I have a couple of guns in Tapco T-6's, which I find ugly but functional; For me , the value of the poly stocks has always been that you can use them for hunting/ truck duty, and not care how dinged up they get, and when you are ready to make the gun a safe /range queen or sell it, the wood is still in good shape.
Proudly making the world a safer place, one dirtbag at a time....

Meshuggah12

• SKS Sniper
I havent used any other poly stock but the tapcos.

I keep a yugo in a T6 for truck use.  It rides with me everywhere and I dont worry about messing up my wood pieces.

The only thing I dont like about the T6 is that it has some sharp edges and im not a fan of the gas tube cover.  Other than that the poly stock works great for what I use it for.