Author Topic: Super Vepr .308 Russian AK47 Rifle  (Read 4907 times)

Iowaredneck

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
Super Vepr .308 Russian AK47 Rifle
« on: October 23, 2011, 01:37:54 PM »
Dose anyone have one of these? I'm seriously considering buying this at tax time. It looks like it would be about as accurate as a AK platform could be. I love the fact that the gas system is chromed. I'm just wondering if anyone on the board has one or has shot one, and what you think about it? Is it worth the money?
-Bill
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline.

crazy4milsurps

• SKS Gunsmith
  • Just plain beautiful!!!!!
Re: Super Vepr .308 Russian AK47 Rifle
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 01:46:05 PM »
go with the m1a
"If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. We are the last stand!" -Ronald Reagan

We murdered Gaddafi!!!

Iowaredneck

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 01:54:19 PM »
go with the m1a
I don't know man, I'm a AK freak so eather way my 308 will be a AK. I'm just wondering if the Vepr is worth the money over a saiga. It appears to be a cut above as far as finish and features.
-Bill
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline.

crazy4milsurps

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 06:49:28 PM »
go with the m1a
I don't know man, I'm a AK freak so eather way my 308 will be a AK. I'm just wondering if the Vepr is worth the money over a saiga. It appears to be a cut above as far as finish and features.
-Bill
just remember, no matter what caliber an ak is only going to be so accurate, the loose tolerances and design will show on paper. the M1A, FAL or HK platforms are much more accurate.
"If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. We are the last stand!" -Ronald Reagan

We murdered Gaddafi!!!

Blakeman

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Semper Fi
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 06:55:36 PM »
I read once that they use RPK receivers so are a bit more stiff and can take the abuse and put shots on target. I would rather be consistent and like the rifle I have than have a rifle more accurate than I am.
"The word bipartisan means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out." George Carlin

Iowaredneck

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 07:01:08 PM »
go with the m1a
-Bill
just remember, no matter what caliber an ak is only going to be so accurate, the loose tolerances and design will show on paper. the M1A, FAL or HK platforms are much more accurate.

This has a heavy fluted target barrel so I would expect it to be fairly accurate. The AK platform can be more accurate than most people give it credit for, last week I was shooting around 1 1/2 moa with my PSL with wolf gold ammo.
-Bill

crazy4milsurps

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 07:07:30 PM »
I read once that they use RPK receivers so are a bit more stiff and can take the abuse and put shots on target. I would rather be consistent and like the rifle I have than have a rifle more accurate than I am.
yeah they are but if you have a choice to pick which arm to be proficient with why change that? taking an AK over an M1A, HK or FAL is like picking a tempo over a cadillac :lol:

We murdered Gaddafi!!!

Iowaredneck

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 07:16:02 PM »
yeah they are but if you have a choice to pick which arm to be proficient with why change that? IN MY OPINION taking an AK over an M1A, HK or FAL is like picking a tempo over a cadillac :lol:
There fixed it for yea :lol:
-Bill

Iowaredneck

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 07:17:57 PM »
Have you even seen this rifle? Here check it out, it's not your typical AK.
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct1030.aspx

crazy4milsurps

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 07:48:56 PM »
yeah they are but if you have a choice to pick which arm to be proficient with why change that? IN MY OPINION taking an AK over an M1A, HK or FAL is like picking a tempo over a cadillac :lol:
-Bill
do yourself a favor, before jumping on the vepr handle the others. you'll see there is a big difference.

We murdered Gaddafi!!!

Iowaredneck

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 07:51:19 PM »
-Bill
do yourself a favor, before jumping on the vepr handle the others. you'll see there is a big difference.
What makes you think I havn't already?
-Bill

Onepoint

• Administrator
  • SKS Guru
  • نعم أنا كافرة, شكور ل يسأل!
    • Gary's Gun Shop LLC - Torrington WY
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 07:57:51 PM »
I have always wanted, but just can't justify the cost of one.  I have recently bought a VeprII 308 for way under half the price of the super Vepr, they are very nice rifles.  I think probably better built and finished than the Saigas.  They are still an AK with a stamped receiver, yes they are heavier and all but its just the nature of design. 308 Veprs use a different bolt than Saigas do, it has slightly larger lugs so those parts are not interchangeable.  And then there is the mag issue, mags run about 40- 50 bucks a piece, with the exception of some of the low cap ones and of course promag.   Factory Vepr polymer mags are around that $50 price.  The after market ones from  Csspecs magazines are really top notch and a true match the workmanship of a Vepr,  worth the money IMO, but still that's a lot of money for mags. Right now you can get some blem 20rd mags for $35 which is getting closer to the cost of new M14 or FAL mags

The only advantage the Super Vepr has is the barrel,  and I am not sure how much that gives over the regular Vepr.  Its heavier, fluted and it is ported., but all the 308 Veprs barrels are heavy up to the gas block,   

The problem is the price  point puts it in direct competition with FALs and some M1As, mags for either of those are abundant and relatively cheap. The super vepr is also pretty much configured how its going to be through its life without some work modifying things like another stock if you ever get tired of the thumbhole.
"War is not 'the best way of settling differences; it is the only way of preventing them being settled for you." - G.K.Chesterson /   "Reality is that which, when you refuse to believe, or stop believing in it, does not go away."

www.garysgunshopllc.com

crazy4milsurps

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 08:02:50 PM »
-Bill
What makes you think I havn't already?
-Bill
the fact that you chose the vepr :lol:

We murdered Gaddafi!!!

Onepoint

• Administrator
  • SKS Guru
  • نعم أنا كافرة, شكور ل يسأل!
    • Gary's Gun Shop LLC - Torrington WY
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 08:11:42 PM »
Heh, I guess the question is have you ever handled a Vepr? Mind you I have a L1A1, I don't think the Vepr lacks that much in comparison.   AKs when not using steel case ammo can be pretty accurate.

For the heck of it I googled Molot, man they are making all kinds of cool things.

http://www.molot.biz/product-e/vepr-super.php
"War is not 'the best way of settling differences; it is the only way of preventing them being settled for you." - G.K.Chesterson /   "Reality is that which, when you refuse to believe, or stop believing in it, does not go away."

www.garysgunshopllc.com

Iowaredneck

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 08:21:51 PM »
I have always wanted, but just can't justify the cost of one.  I have recently bought a VeprII 308 for way under half the price of the super Vepr, they are very nice rifles.  I think probably better built and finished than the Saigas.  They are still an AK with a stamped receiver, yes they are heavier and all but its just the nature of design. 308 Veprs use a different bolt than Saigas do, it has slightly larger lugs so those parts are not interchangeable.  And then there is the mag issue, mags run about 40- 50 bucks a piece, with the exception of some of the low cap ones and of course promag.   Factory Vepr polymer mags are around that $50 price.  The after market ones from  Csspecs magazines are really top notch and a true match the workmanship of a Vepr,  worth the money IMO, but still that's a lot of money for mags. Right now you can get some blem 20rd mags for $35 which is getting closer to the cost of new M14 or FAL mags

The only advantage the Super Vepr has is the barrel,  and I am not sure how much that gives over the regular Vepr.  Its heavier, fluted and it is ported., but all the 308 Veprs barrels are heavy up to the gas block,   

The problem is the price  point puts it in direct competition with FALs and some M1As, mags for either of those are abundant and relatively cheap. The super vepr is also pretty much configured how its going to be through its life without some work modifying things like another stock if you ever get tired of the thumbhole.
Yea the price is definitely the thing holding me back at this point. What kind of groups can you get with your standard VEPR? Thanks for the helpful reply by the way, unlike some people  :roll:
-Bill