Author Topic: Tapco/Saiga 7.62x39  (Read 1854 times)

woodyp

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Marksman
Tapco/Saiga 7.62x39
« on: November 06, 2011, 05:27:13 PM »
Hi guys,

The Tapco website is acting goofy so thought I'd ask here.  Just bought a Saiga in 7.62x39 (sporter model imported with 10 round mag) and was wondering if Tapco produced a 20 or 30 round US made one SPECIFICALLY for it.  I'm interested in replacing one more US compliance part along with the 3 part mag to comply with 922R rather than doing a full conversion.  Just want high caps and theirs work great in the old SKS.
Guy at the gun show had a box full for 25 bucks each 30 rounders and said they fit the Saiga.  Not familair with the standard AK platform so I thought they might be just for them.  Anyhow, I slipped one in and it seemed to fit just right, no wobble, locked in easy, and the top of that mag looked exactly like the 10 rounder the gun came with.  If this mag is for the standard AK47-why did it snap in and fit so well?  Will they work?  Any help guys?

Thanks in advance,

Woody
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 05:54:29 PM by woodyp »

jbanzai

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • End of days.
Re: Tapco/Saiga 7.62x39
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 06:55:27 PM »
Any AK-47 mag will fit, but they won't feed unless you install a bullet guide.  I believe promag makes some specifically for Saigas, but as usual, they get horrible reviews.  SMG, formerly Surefire, makes Saiga specific mags (no BG needed) and they function great.  They come with a 5 year warranty, but they are pricey. 

I wouldn't rule out a conversion.  It vastly improves the rifle.  If you do keep it sporterized, I would recomend getting a Tapco trigger for it as the stock trigger leaves ALOT to be desired.  There is a Tapco trigger specifically for people who don't want to convert.

www.dinzagarms.com

WTB Chinese SKS, numbers matching, excellent condition early /26\ with threaded barrel and milled trigger guard

koolkerry

• Water
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 07:44:26 PM »
Your Mag latch will have to be filed a little to fit ak mags. And you will have to install a bullet guide. Go to carolinashooters and the have a real good vid how to install the guide. Both are very easy to do.

Carolina also has the high cap mags made for the Saiga with no mod's needed. IMO the surefire are the best if you go that route

KK
No more green grass and high tides without Old Outlaw around

woodyp

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Marksman
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 08:40:02 PM »
Well ..........buddy with a fullblown AK setup came over and happened to have that same 30 round "AK" mag.  Turns out, it didn't snap in like I thought it did when I was suffering from the gun show jollies at the time!  Guess I'm down to the SMG/surefire mags without having to put in a bullet adapter and still got the route I described earlier.  TAPCO.................are you listening??????

Thnaks guys

koolkerry

• Water
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 09:21:26 PM »
Saigas are a little differant then AK's.   Tapco makes a good product but to use the tapco ak mag in a Saiga a little fileing needs be done on the 7.62 mag latch. Not sure about the other calibers. Take your buddy's mag and try to snap it in your Saiga and you can see where you need to file a little.

No more green grass and high tides without Old Outlaw around

woodyp

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Marksman
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 10:54:55 PM »
I'm pretty sure that Tapco mag could be filed down and made to fit, but there's still the lack of that feed lip on the front.  I still don't think it would feed without a bullet guide installed.

dmac27

• SKS Gunsmith
  • Tiger Stripe para
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 11:39:42 PM »
It's very easy to install a bullet guide.   
Fear is not in the roar of a charging lion...but rather a click when you expect a bang !!!

Peter Capstick Hathaway

cvasqu03

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 01:29:11 AM »
Any AK-47 mag will fit, but they won't feed unless you install a bullet guide.  I believe promag makes some specifically for Saigas, but as usual, they get horrible reviews.  SMG, formerly Surefire, makes Saiga specific mags (no BG needed) and they function great.  They come with a 5 year warranty, but they are pricey. 

I wouldn't rule out a conversion.  It vastly improves the rifle.  If you do keep it sporterized, I would recomend getting a Tapco trigger for it as the stock trigger leaves ALOT to be desired.  There is a Tapco trigger specifically for people who don't want to convert.

www.dinzagarms.com

Actually, a standard AK mag will only fit into the older Saigas without modification.  After the first few years they started making the mag catch a little bigger so that regular AK mags wouldn't lock in place any more.  I have one of the older one where the mag locks in place but it even with these the mags will not feed because of the bullet guide issue.

There are a couple of Saiga Specific aftermarket mags that will fit a stock Saiga but reliability may vary. I also have heard varied things about the Pro-Mag mags. 

There is one AK mag that I discovered which will feed into a Saiga and that's the MasterMolder Thermold mag. I found one of the first ones that came out at a gun show and noticed that it was designed without he little dip in the front that most AK mags have so I tried it on my older Saiga and it fit and functioned.  I posted this info over at the Saiga boards and many people have been able to replicate my findings.  Of course if you ahve one of the newer rifles, you'd still have to either file the mag catch or the mag latch on the mag itself to get it to lock in place.

I managed to make a US parts conversion without doing the pistol grip conversion. I had a custom buttstock made with a more pronounced grip area but that worked the same as the original ones.  You just have to cut the actual trigger portion off the trigger and continue to use the stock trigger (that's one less U.S. part unfortunately).  Custom stocks are a bit pricey and the guy that made them isn't in the business anymore though.  You CAN get a Saiga specific forearm that preserves the original lines of the rifle.

It's very easy to install a bullet guide.   

True, but once you install the bullet guide you've then modified it to feed from military style AK mags and you'd really need to do a U.S. parts conversion to CYA.
I am the one they call Cesar.

draftpick

• SKS Expert
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 05:25:54 AM »
Actually, a standard AK mag will only fit into the older Saigas without modification.  After the first few years they started making the mag catch a little bigger so that regular AK mags wouldn't lock in place any more.  I have one of the older one where the mag locks in place but it even with these the mags will not feed because of the bullet guide issue.

True, but once you install the bullet guide you've then modified it to feed from military style AK mags and you'd really need to do a U.S. parts conversion to CYA.
[/quote]

That is the first I have heard of Saiga making the mag catch larger and AK mags won't lock in? I have been to the Saiga 12 forum and have been often and never read about that. Was it something you read about or something on your or a friends gun?

Mancat

• SKS Guru
  • give all the milsurps to me
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 07:39:44 AM »
I have a new .223 Saiga. Every standard AK mag I've tried in it will fit, regardless of caliber. I haven't heard anything about the recent 7.62x39 models being any different.

IMO trying to improve the Saiga while leaving it in its original form is a waste of time/money. Just convert it. You'll be glad you did.

edit: dude below... Again, brand new .223 Saiga. All AK mags fit AND lock in. I'm using .223 Galil mags, they lock in tight. No mag latch modifications needed. Obviously all models/years are not the same, but it's a tossup what you'll get. There are plenty of people with newer 7.62x39 Saigas on other forums that haven't had to touch the latch.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 10:22:58 PM by Mancat »

cvasqu03

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 08:33:07 PM »
That is the first I have heard of Saiga making the mag catch larger and AK mags won't lock in? I have been to the Saiga 12 forum and have been often and never read about that. Was it something you read about or something on your or a friends gun?

I have both read about it and experienced it first hand as well as verified it with other rifles.  The first Saiga I got was a 20" model that was purchased back in 1999, shortly after they started bringing them in.  Regular AK mags will fit and lock in place without modification but they will not feed (due to the lack of a feedramp).

More recently, I tried this on a newer 20" saiga and regular AK mags WILL NOT lock in place.  They'll physically fit, but will not lock in place so they'll fall out as soon as you let go of them.  The mag catch on the rifle is just a little bit too big to allow the magazine to lock in place. This is why once you install the bullet guide, you still have to file this area down a little (just a little though).  Go back to the Saiga site and read around a bit, it's not a major procedure like installing the feedramp so it may not have been emphasized but most people there are well aware of this issue.

This is why the MasterMolder mags were such a find. Since my older saiga would lock regular AK mags in place and the mags had the feedramp built in, they could be used in this rifle without modification.  Of course, it had to be one of the original Saigas for it to lock in place.
I am the one they call Cesar.

Blakeman

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Semper Fi
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 10:16:13 AM »
Seems some do and some don't. I read about the mags fitting and tried it on my older production rifle and it didn't work. Mine might have the threading on the barrel for the muzzle break though I haven't had the guts to take off the front sight assembly or cut on it.

I found installation of the bullet guide to be easier than putting the tapco trigger assembly in, but that might just be me.
"The word bipartisan means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out." George Carlin

nightgunner

• SKS Gunsmith
  • Custom AR build? Sure I can help.
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 10:59:08 AM »
Saigas are an interesting and fun breed. If you ever see a bunch of them together NIB you will see some funky variations. I saw one in Casper, WY. (no $$$ or it would be mine) it actually was marked and detented for F/A! What I have heard, and seeing it solidified it. Izhmash makes the Saiga's on the same assembly line, using over-run parts from current production AK47s. This is why you will find many with threaded barrels that can easily be "liberated" from the thin collar, and be of a much higher build quality than most other Civilian legal AKs on the market.

Saiga as far as I know, if the only LEGAL option to a Civilian owning a brand new Russian AK.
"Don't be so open minded your brains fall out"