Author Topic: New/Unissued Russian SKS  (Read 2305 times)

bjs7293

• SKS Newbie
New/Unissued Russian SKS
« on: November 08, 2011, 09:39:58 PM »
I would like to know what everybodys take on the term New/ Unissued in reguards to a Russian SKS. I know what "NEW" mean, there is no interpetation to that, but the word "UNISSUED" could that not mean new? From what I can gather from the different boards there is no such thing today as a NEW/UNISSUED Russian SKS, if there are few and far between. So what are the real facts's

Old Outlaw

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
Re: New/Unissued Russian SKS
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 10:21:05 PM »
That term is commonly thrown around by certain dealers and sellers. A true unissued Russian is an extreme, and I mean extreme rarity. Only a few were found by certain old time collectors who went through a number of crates of them when they first arrived in the US. Those guys apparently knew or had inside connection with the importer or a Distributor. The only way one of those is found is to be able to buy one off of one of those collectors. Ya don't see them on an auction.  I have only seen two over the years
that were authenticated by board experts here and on Gun Boards. They just are not shown. Most likely only a small handful if even that exists.

Now, an original is next in line. I have seen on several Boards an opinion that only 5 to 10% most arrived here without any refurbishment. Seems probably in the Ball Park.
Originals were still issued and carried. They have the indicaters to show this.

Almost all received refurbishment before being put into storage or shipped here.

jdscholer

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 11:51:09 PM »
I think that some folks who don't know better will see a "new in box" refurb, and think that it is unissued;   new sling, belt pouches, oil bottle, warranty papers, etc. 
I've got one, and anyone who didn't know the deal would think that it is unissued, brand new, and unfired.  jd
No man is born so stupid or worthless that he has nothing to teach me.

On my worst day, I may find someone whose day I can improve.

boomer34

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • I've voted, now what?
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 05:22:45 PM »
To me, the "New in the Box (NIB)" so fondly advertised on the auction sites indicated that the rifle was put in a box that was new. The rifle had about a 90% chance of being a refurb of some sort and was certainly not "new" or even (get the catch word now) unfired. The few that can be classed as original had been issued. Just look at the marks if you have ever held one. There are a few, and a very few, that have been held to be "unissued". There are several around this board of collectors but you would expect that out of a membership of 15,000 or so. You are very fortunate if you come across one of these and are able to own it.

If you have a specific rifle in mind and can post some pictures do so. You will get several opinions. Some you will like and some you won't.   
Nothing ventured, nothing gained

Lafayettegregory

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 05:26:54 PM »
Some Russian and Chinese sks were mafactured and went straight to storage. Some remained there until they were sold to distributors.
How many? I have no clue. What I do know is that I have owned both types. they do exist.  And old Outlaw ownes at least one.

Old Outlaw

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 05:41:37 PM »
Some Russian and Chinese sks were mafactured and went straight to storage. Some remained there until they were sold to distributors.
How many? I have no clue. What I do know is that I have owned both types. they do exist.  And old Outlaw ownes at least one.
Well, up to three now. One Chinese in the fold. Two Russians. Possibly a 54 Tula which is on the way. Gotta have it in hand before I can even guess if it is or not. Bank account went Ka Pooty! Mama says no more. But,my FFL guy never calls my house to say one just arrived.  :lol: :lol:

OldPre68

• SKS Shooter
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 10:25:03 AM »
When the Russian pieces first came in I went to a show and a dealer had 40 rifles on his table.Two of the pieces had not been issued ever.Five had minimal wear without being reworked. All the rest had been reworked or at least had renumbered stocks.The unissued pieces did not bring a higher price as the dealers saw them as just product. I probatly owned 6 to 8 unissued over the years.

crazy4milsurps

• SKS Gunsmith
  • Just plain beautiful!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 07:44:03 PM »
When the Russian pieces first came in I went to a show and a dealer had 40 rifles on his table.Two of the pieces had not been issued ever.Five had minimal wear without being reworked. All the rest had been reworked or at least had renumbered stocks.The unissued pieces did not bring a higher price as the dealers saw them as just product. I probatly owned 6 to 8 unissued over the years.
geez, thats some memory. I can't remember my age or birth date most of the time thank goodness for those friendly utility bills with "happy birthday" at the top.

I don't believe in "unissued" unless it has "after importation" directly following.
"If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. We are the last stand!" -Ronald Reagan

We murdered Gaddafi!!!

Combloc

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 09:06:34 PM »
They exist.  I have a  '54 Tula (nonrefurb of course) that shows no signs of ever having been fired. 
I'm kinda dim.

Old Outlaw

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 09:33:49 PM »
They exist.  I have a  '54 Tula (nonrefurb of course) that shows no signs of ever having been fired. 
Yes they do. When one does come up for sale, most won't pay the price to own one.
Besides, most don't see an auction because a collector will not sell it there. Too many BUBBA guys running around trying to make an AK out of them. The purist collectors usually only sell to another confirmed collector who will take care of it and preserve it.
Just the way it is. Rightly so in my opinion.

bjs7293

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 01:49:26 AM »
I would like to thank everybody for their replies. It confirmed my suspicions. I live in Canada and we have SKS's coming out of our ears,every type and vintage. There are dealers selling Russian SKS's as New/unissued, sure they are nice rifles matching numbers ect ect but not new/unissued. It is sad because people are buy them and are expecting a new rifle but are getting refurbs. The only new/unissued SKS's we have in large quantity in Canada is the Chinese military SKS's

MakarovingCharges

• SKS Guru
  • Makarov: The OTHER CCW choice
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 04:37:10 AM »
I wish we could get back to SKS's coming out of our ears the speculators would back off and they might become affordable again.
Well, it's official. All three of the branches of the Federal Government are using the constitution as if it were TP. RIP Freedom and freewill the old republic has been replaced by a very potent kleptocracy. We're getting what we deserve, I guess.