Author Topic: sks or ak-47  (Read 1502 times)

bigal

• SKS Marksman
sks or ak-47
« on: November 10, 2011, 07:24:35 PM »
i just wanna know reliability is the same but i love the detachable magazines on the AK but i don't know what AK i should get (please nobody say arsenal) but the sks is just a cool gun nothin special bout it though I'm leaning towards the AK

sheepdog

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • BIG MONEY GRIFF
Re: sks or ak-47
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 07:41:57 PM »
Do what I did, get both :lol:
 LIVE FROM THE DOGHOUSE

wiccaboa

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • The REAL evil black gun
    • facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 07:44:02 PM »
Dont be afraid of a WASR, sight cant can be fixed or whatever, or make sure everything is ok before you buy one. ORRR, sheepdog it.
I wander out where you can't see, inside my shell, I wait and bleed.

bigal

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 08:17:48 PM »
wish i could sheepdog but kinda on a budget might get one when i get a decision and the other later

wiccaboa

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • The REAL evil black gun
    • facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 08:19:49 PM »
Moneywise, SKS all the way. Save for a nice AK
I wander out where you can't see, inside my shell, I wait and bleed.

sheepdog

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • BIG MONEY GRIFF
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 08:23:18 PM »
That's the way I did it.
 LIVE FROM THE DOGHOUSE

bigal

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 08:40:19 PM »
well i wanna sell my mini 14 i was gonna sell it get a sks and ammo then a thought came up why not AK-47 theres just so many more advantages i wanna sell my mini 14 cause the round is to small I'm shooting at stuff and its not doin anything to it plus ammo is more expensive than i thought it would be and should be

Akunamatata

• SKS Expert
    • Long Island Firearms
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 10:06:32 PM »
I like the SKS myself, but there are definitely advantages to the AK. My best case for the SKS is that I like the internal mag/stripper clip combo better than a magazine that prevents prone shooting. Also the extended sight radius.

But if you do pick AK, go for a converted saiga. Some places sell them for less than the WASRs can be had for, and they are top of the line.
"Die, my dear? Why that's the last thing I'll do!"

-Groucho Marx, funny till the end

Scratch

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
    • Edgemetalworks.net
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 12:02:45 AM »
Personally.... I like the AK better.  Although I like the idea of stripper clips because you can carry more, I hate the way a few rounds keep falling off them.  Seems like I always have to be careful handling them.  Also I'd rather have 30 shots versus 10 between reloads.

The trigger feels better on my AK's also, and it seems a "little" easier to control because it's a little shorter than my Chinese and Russian.

I think they're both close in accuracy and reliability, obviously ammo isn't a factor since it's the same...

I say keep your eyes open for both and jump on the first great deal you see. (AK or SKS) The other one will show up in time.  They're both must have rifles in my opinion.  Especially because they share the same ammo.

camoman

• SKS Expert
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 12:35:50 AM »
I don't know about the reliability being the same between an SKS and an AK. I have owned a Mak 90 and now own a Chinese SKS, a WASR and a BCM AR-15.  I have had alot of shooting exp with all of these weapons with exception to the WASR, which I just acquired. I have not had one single stoppage from the Mak 90 after 5 years and thousands of rounds. So far, after approximately 1200 rnds through the BCM, I have only had a few problems that were ammo related. With the SKS I have had a few stoppages, but most of my problems are light strikes on the primer, and the funny thing is....I have had no trigger job done, there is no reduced power hammer spring involved.   

dmac27

• SKS Gunsmith
  • Tiger Stripe para
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 02:03:25 PM »
J&G has Saiga's on Sale for $299.99 right now.   Buy it and shoot as is them buy conversion parts later when funds are available and turn into AK47.
Fear is not in the roar of a charging lion...but rather a click when you expect a bang !!!

Peter Capstick Hathaway

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 02:04:37 PM »
 I would say, both.
Proudly making the world a safer place, one dirtbag at a time....

Apollo

• SKS Marksman
  • "That's a wicked digger"
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 04:57:28 PM »
I also vote for both. I have a Chinese SKS and a Polish underfolder. Both are great guns. I may like the AK a little better because of the folding stock and greater magazine capacity.

-Will
United States Air Force Academy Class of 2017

The word "China" is a dead giveaway that it is a Chinese SKS.

Blakeman

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Semper Fi
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 05:04:11 PM »
J&G has Saiga's on Sale for $299.99 right now.   Buy it and shoot as is them buy conversion parts later when funds are available and turn into AK47.

So does Centerfire if that is closer, but I agree that a saiga is a great AK.
"The word bipartisan means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out." George Carlin

milsurpcop

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 06:44:58 PM »
If you have a Mini 14 +ammo for sale, that would fund the AK.
Politians and Diapers should be changed often for the same reason

I cling to my guns and religion because they are two things I know I can count on.