Author Topic: Mossberg 500 Takedown Screw Retainer  (Read 2350 times)

8905c

• SKS Newbie
Mossberg 500 Takedown Screw Retainer
« on: December 05, 2011, 07:47:42 PM »
What is the easiest way to place a new retainer on the barrel takedown screw on a Mossberg 500? I recently traded for a 500. When I removed the barrel to clean the gun, the barrel takedown screw came out. After inspecting, I saw there was not a retainer on the takedown screw. I attempted to put the new retainer on the barrel tonight, but I am not making any progess.
Any info greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
          8905c

Toad

• HMFIC
  • Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • RIP, BRH
    • OBEY!
Re: Mossberg 500 Takedown Screw Retainer
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 09:15:17 PM »
All it is, is an "internal star" washer. You probably had it too loose for too long and it cracked and fell out.
Remember when we cried as kids and our parents said "I'll give you something to cry about!"? We thought they were going to hit us, but instead they destroyed the housing market, and ran social security broke. I wish they would have just hit us.

Toad

• HMFIC
  • Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • RIP, BRH
    • OBEY!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 09:19:19 PM »
Numrichs and Brownells doesn't seem to sell them. Call Mossberg or go to the hardware store. It looks like either a 5/16", 3/8", 8mm or 10mm internal star washer.
Remember when we cried as kids and our parents said "I'll give you something to cry about!"? We thought they were going to hit us, but instead they destroyed the housing market, and ran social security broke. I wish they would have just hit us.

8905c

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 07:10:25 PM »

Thanks for the info - I will follow-up with Mossberg.

8905c