Author Topic: Zastava PAP troubles  (Read 1213 times)

solyanik

• SKS Plinker
Zastava PAP troubles
« on: December 15, 2011, 04:09:50 AM »
Picked it up at Cabela's today for a ridiculously good price ($350 - $20 coupon + tax). Brought it home, read the Internet, got really encouraged. Took it apart. Immediate problem: the gas piston in the bolt carrier is not tight - it just hangs by the pin and wobbles. I've never seen anything like that in an AK - all the ones I've owned or looked it had the piston to be screwed in so tight that I never even knew they were two different parts (until I've read about 922(r) :-)).

Here are a few pictures.

http://www.solyanik.com/drop/WP_000124.jpg
http://www.solyanik.com/drop/WP_000125.jpg
http://www.solyanik.com/drop/WP_000126.jpg

Is this by design, or did I just buy a lemon?

Second problem - it won't chamber the snap caps. The 2 of my handloaded rounds that I had on hand went in and extracted just fine, but with the standard 7.62x39 caps (I tried 3) the bolt won't close.

If you have one of these guns, could you please let me know if you have seen problems like that with yours? Many thanks...

VinnAY

• SKS Expert
Re: Zastava PAP troubles
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 08:19:38 AM »
I had a WASR that wouldn't chamber a snap cap but any real ammo was fine, too the point I thought the bolt was damaged or the chamber was out of spec.
Will that screw back together? That's as far as it'll screw together, you can't turn it any more, it's loose?

solyanik

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 02:34:28 PM »
The gas piston cannot be screwed in (or out) - it is blocked by a pin. This is standard for all AKs. Actually, I asked this question on a couple other forums, and it looks like loose piston is not uncommon in AKs, and sort of by design even - it allows the system to operate when the gas tube is somewhat misaligned.

I had a WASR that wouldn't chamber a snap cap but any real ammo was fine, too the point I thought the bolt was damaged or the chamber was out of spec.
Will that screw back together? That's as far as it'll screw together, you can't turn it any more, it's loose?

VinnAY

• SKS Expert
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 03:02:29 PM »
I can't remember on mine how the piston and carrier were mated together but it was better than what you've got...good luck with it.

AKBLUE

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 03:27:24 PM »
Normal., not an issue.

Old Outlaw

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 04:38:49 PM »
Normal is correct. My Mitchell M70 looks the same and is not tight to the carrier. Functions perfectly!

Toad

• HMFIC
  • Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • C'mon boys. Smokes, Let's Go!
    • OBEY!
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 07:16:38 PM »
There's supposed to be a gap. It allows for some wobble. It's supposed to wobble a bit. The recievers flex while firing. If the wobble wasn't there, the piston would bind in the tube and hang up the bolt carrier.
interior crocodile alligator I drive a Chevrolet movie theater