Author Topic: Rockford IL shooting range?  (Read 1690 times)

tungsten74

• SKS Sniper
Rockford IL shooting range?
« on: December 16, 2011, 07:38:50 PM »
i live near Rockford IL, sad i know. while im still living here i wanna find a range of about 100yrds witch is slim unless you want some fancy membership for 300 bucks. i like shooting with friends and plinking pits went to one in buffalo grove i think? was about 2 hours away witch with gas and ammo prices gets up there.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
    George Carlin

tungsten74

• SKS Sniper
Re: Rockford IL shooting range?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 07:48:42 PM »
Nothing? Any members from IL here? Would love to shoot my new sks before spring
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
    George Carlin

captain concrete

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 07:56:04 PM »
buffalo rock between ottawa and utica.
i live near princeton.
I am the 'AMMO HOARDER EXTRAORDINAIRE'  :-)

tungsten74

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 08:00:29 PM »
Iv shot there and loved it rang was clear and rangemasters were nice just such a drive. I heard around there was a place near me who's membership is 45 bucks a year and can shoot anytime and has camping, no name was said tho I wish I had the land to shoot on, one day tho.

There closed tho right now arnt they?
    George Carlin

captain concrete

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 08:48:20 PM »
buffalo rock is probably on a week by week basis right now. once the snow/ice starts, im sure they will close it up til spring.
i think that is how they usually operate.
I am the 'AMMO HOARDER EXTRAORDINAIRE'  :-)

Uaplumber23

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • Eng 1808
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 10:39:22 PM »
Im from Rockford, theres nothing close by that is open to the public. Im a member of Beloit Rifle Club, you have to have two club members sponsor you to join and they only take applications once a year.

tungsten74

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 10:52:56 AM »
I was told of a place from a guy at bulletstop, behind some welding company that's a member ship of like 40 bucks or so open all year. I wouldn't mind being a member of somewhere as long as it's not expensive.
    George Carlin

Greatguns

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 12:11:06 PM »
There used to be a place over towards Freeport in a rock quarry just south of US 20 and west of the Kelly Springfield plant, but I haven't lived in that area for 12 years now. Last I heard the Stephenson County Sheriff's department was taking it over. Not sure though, might be worth a check.

tungsten74

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 01:13:16 PM »
That sounds familiar I think the guy mentioned cops shooting there.. I might have to go back and see if anyone knows where to get ahold of anyone from it the Internet has been no help for locating one. My dad wants to join somewhere but I'd have to do his membership hours because of Health issues ha so I'd be doing both of ours.

Thank you all for the help if I find places I'll let you all know if ya want me to
    George Carlin

Uaplumber23

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • Eng 1808
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 04:35:00 PM »
Not sure what bullet stop is talking about. There is also pine tree pistol club on the south side of town. Pistol only though.

http://pinetreepistol.com/

tungsten74

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 06:32:58 PM »
Yeah 100 yard rifle is more what I'm looking for or close to 100 atleast i love long distance shooting. How much is beloits membership and what's the club like? Dues or what's available? Just curious
    George Carlin

Uaplumber23

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • Eng 1808
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 07:30:20 PM »
Beloit is an amazing club. Its on 62 acres. They have an indoor pistol range in the clubhouse, Outdoor Pistol range that is also used for competitions, 100 and 200 yard rifle ranges, 25-50-75-and 100 yard .22 silhouette range, trap range, blackpowder range, cowboy action range where they have a mock wild west town built, and archery range with a tower and a trail throughout the woods with 3D targets. All the ranges have multiple shooting lanes so you never have to wait. They have leagues you can join for each range if you like to compete for fun on a different shooting discipline. The do CMP and NRA high power matches as well which are open to the public on the 100 yard range.

To join you need two members to sponsor you.It is 200 dollars a year. You can get that down to 75 dollars by volunteering 8 hours per year. They have work days one saturday per month from 7-3 where we do general range maintence and clean up. There are other things you can volunteer for as well. I volunteered on the work days before I was a member to get to know people. That is how I got my sponsors. You could also volunteer at the CMP and NRA shoots to meet members as well.

http://beloitrifleclub.org/

This is off their website...
"Welcome to the Beloit Rifle Club website.

Charted in 1925 and affiliating with the National Rifle Association in 1927, the Beloit Rifle Club currently occupies 62 acres of land on Philhower Road just north of Beloit.  This facility has become one of the finest in the Midwest featuring indoor and outdoor shooting and archery ranges.  Our membership of nearly 700 travels from as far away as Chicago.

Our main goal promoting a safe shooting environment for the following disciplines: Trap, Black Powder, Pistol, Silhouette, Archery, High Power Rifle, Benchrest, Cowboy Action, Civilian Marksmanship.

Our facilities are used by the Rock County 4H Shooters, Boy Scouts, Young Marines, the Beloit Police Department, state policing organizations and Marine recruits.  Professor John Nickels of Beloit College brought his class to the range to learn about ballistics and to experience firing a pistol.  Safety education classes are also held.

Please note that outside of special events, use of the Beloit Rifle Club facilities is by membership or invitation only."

awfulwaffle

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 11:49:11 PM »
It's a bit of a hike for you (about 65 miles), but McMiller Sports Center in Eagle, WI is a public range that goes out to 300 yards. 15 bucks for an all day pass.

Old Outlaw

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 12:42:08 AM »
Man. We got a really good deal here in Davenport, Ia I guess. Rock Island, Moline, Illinois the same Quad Cities.
Oak Hills Gun Club. A pistol range and rifle range to 200 yards. Need to be an NRA member and $60 a year dues. Open the year round. If you live over 50 miles away the dues are only $40 a year. If 65 years of age or older only $40 a year.
Plus special shooting competitions at certain times members can join in.

If any interested, we are taking new members all the time. This is an NRA sanctioned range. There is a requirement allnew members attend a class that lasts about 2 hours. You will basically be given a quick course on being a range master yourself.
We have no range masters looking over your shoulder. But other members will if the safety rules are not followed turn a violator in to the board. Self policed on an honor system. Located back off the road in a deep forest. If anyone near by is interested and wants details of whom to contact, PM me.

wags69

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 06:53:26 AM »
There is the Sycamore Sportsmen Club. Has 25, 50 and 100 yd lanes. Open to the public on weekends from 12-4. Costs $10 to shoot.
They are open all year.