Author Topic: SKS in Iraq  (Read 2395 times)

threepdr

• SKS Newbie
SKS in Iraq
« on: December 21, 2011, 11:24:27 PM »
Found this pic when looking through some of the photos my son send home from Iraq.  He was in the 3rd Infantry Division during the surge.  This is inside his HUMVEE where his Platoon Sergeant kept a couple of extra weapons.  This was general shot of the interior of the vehicle, but I've cropped it down to the subject of the post.  You can see a well worn AK and SKS strapped in the corner.  He does not recall where it was made, just that they were rare compared to the AK-47s

Old Outlaw

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
Re: SKS in Iraq
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 12:18:41 AM »
Thank you, that is a nice picture. More proof they were there!

Mancat

• SKS Guru
  • give all the milsurps to me
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 12:49:43 AM »
Cool. Looks like it has a laminated stock too?

Treeweasel

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • My mistake, four coffins.
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 05:06:57 AM »
Heya threepdr, what part of Iraq was your son in when he came in with the surge? 3rd ID relieved my unit at that time. Perhaps we've shared an AO?
"You see in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig." - Blondie

threepdr

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 11:17:46 AM »
Treeweasel,

He was in the 6/8 Cav.  If I remember correctly, part of the 3rd BCT.  He spent much of his time at a little out post near Zamariah (sic).  When they got to go to the rear, it was to FOB Falcon.  Re redeployed in Dec 2008.  Most of the exciting times for his squadron were the first 3-4 months.  After they killed off all the bad guys in his area, things quieted down. His platoon found the big "torture house" near Zamariah that made the nightly news.

Treeweasel

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • My mistake, four coffins.
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 06:00:23 PM »
Then his wasn't the unit that relieved us, we were farther West in the Anbar province in and around the town of Hit, Iraq. Worth a shot though. I have been through FOB Falcon a few times though.

If you think of it sometime give you son my best regards from one sandbox dweller to another.

Also, welcome to the boards! Where are my manners?
"You see in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig." - Blondie

threepdr

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 11:23:40 PM »
Treeweasel,

I will do that.  He was a combat medic.  He got a PH about 3 months into his deployment but was back to duty pretty fast.  When they redeployed they sent him to Fort Sam for the Mike 6 course, now he is a nurse at Trippler Hospitol in Honolulu.  Tough duty!

TXSailor

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 10:40:31 PM »
Treeweasel,

I will do that.  He was a combat medic.  He got a PH about 3 months into his deployment but was back to duty pretty fast.  When they redeployed they sent him to Fort Sam for the Mike 6 course, now he is a nurse at Trippler Hospitol in Honolulu.  Tough duty!

Small world. My ex girlfriends dad worked at Fort Sam for the last 3-4 years, and I was born at Tripler...

sorry, just had to join the club, lol. Amazing picture! Thanks!
Ensign, United States Navy

Meshuggah12

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 10:17:43 PM »
Awesome picture!

recklessdriver

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 01:38:40 AM »
wait so that youtube guy was right.... about we need sks rifles as back up....
Lets deploy !!!

Thrawn

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • Barrels? I don't need no steenkin barrels!
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 02:49:54 AM »
Threaded barrel, laminated stock, stock also looks like it has a second stock cross bolt just foward of the wrist at the back of the rifle...blued, no markings on the dust cover that I can see...interesting, thanks for the pic. :D