Author Topic: SKS Article in shootingtimes magazine. Good article  (Read 1368 times)

koolkerry

• Water
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • just pick up the garbage and don't worry about it
SKS Article in shootingtimes magazine. Good article
« on: December 24, 2011, 01:42:04 AM »
http://www.use.com/editset.pl?set=40c62b1ccdf090ec1d9f

Found this article in shootingtimes.com awhile back

It's amazing how one of our favorite firearms is the least choice of others.

Pretty cool story and yet so true.

Once the pic comes up click on it to enlarge so you can read

KK
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 01:04:20 AM by bulldog136 »
Rock & Roll - Lou Reed & Velvet Underground

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkbpmFOuKrc

legend

• SKS Sniper
  • Врагов надо истреблять
Re: SKS Artical in shootingtimes magazine. Good artical
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 01:58:13 AM »
Very cool, and very true.

1mlt

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • No place but TEXAS
    • TheSKSmagAdapter, LLC
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 02:02:14 AM »
Nice short little plug for our SKS.
Marcus
There is but one language and that is the English language. Teddy R., 1907
Duck-bill-less mag adapters for the SKS are located at
www.thesksmagadapter.com

Wazlan

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 07:29:43 AM »
Thanks for sharing the article. I wish more reviewers would have such an open mind as not to always choose the unaffordable and unattainable as the "right choice".
"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-

Chipslinger

• SKS Shooter
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 09:34:01 AM »
That's a good article that is quite accurate in my opinion. I have pick up 2 SKS's for friends for almost the same reasons that the article stated. SKS's are unappreciated by so many.

Thanks for sharing the article with us!

scarymike23

• A Sawhorse Is A
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • This argument needs more pie.
    • Alternate History War Film!
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 11:10:35 AM »
Nice write up of a humble but mighty rifle. It just highlights why I love my SKS (and other scrappy, under-appreciated milsurps like it) so much. It's a great rifle for the working citizen.

Thanks for sharing!
для родины!

Первые оружеиные заводы в туле

Heimdhal

• This is breakfast?
  • Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • www.hhholsters.com
    • Heimdhals Hybrid Holsters
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 11:16:21 AM »
I dunno, I kinda read it in a condenscending way.  Like "Oh, it's just ok, good enough for the poor people"  and while that may be true I think he still sold the rifle a little short.

Consideirng he seems like an "elite" gun snob, what, you all cant afford 3,000$ rifles?, I suppose it was a good introduction to the gun over all.

I recomend them very often to "poor" friends, young guys just starting out or getting into guns pretty regularly as well, so on that front it was a good introduction article.

I would take one over a Ruger Mini 14 though, even the newer "better' ones.
"I saw that the State was half-witted, that it was timid as a lone woman with her silver spoons, and that it did not know its friends from its foes, and I lost all remaining respect for it, and pitied it."
--Henry David Thoreau

MakarovingCharges

• SKS Guru
  • Makarov: The OTHER CCW choice
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 11:44:18 AM »
Agreed Heimdahl seems like SKS's are STILL being seen as the red headed stepchild to be beaten on as a last (read cost conscious) resort. Sounds like the SKS can't stand on its own merits, and I don't subscribe to that point of view. I don't mind the "cult" label so much as the tone.  I wonder what would be so wrong with just extolling the virtues of the SKS instead of all the "nope nope nope too expensive" paragraphs. Yeah we could have condensed those into one much smaller paragraph. No doubt the author felt he was throwing SKS afficianadoes a bone.
Well, it's official. All three of the branches of the Federal Government are using the constitution as if it were TP. RIP Freedom and freewill the old republic has been replaced by a very potent kleptocracy. We're getting what we deserve, I guess.

LoneWolf57

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 12:08:23 PM »
I dunno, I kinda read it in a condenscending way.  Like "Oh, it's just ok, good enough for the poor people"  and while that may be true I think he still sold the rifle a little short.

Consideirng he seems like an "elite" gun snob, what, you all cant afford 3,000$ rifles?, I suppose it was a good introduction to the gun over all.

Works for me. Every time something becomes fashonable among the "elite" the price goes way up. So the longer they stick their noses up at so called "cheap" guns the better for people that can't afford to go out and drop hundreds of dollars on a good weapon.
"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington

Akunamatata

• SKS Expert
    • Long Island Firearms
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 04:27:07 PM »
Not sure why he thinks the AK can't take coyotes or that the SKS is a sub standard deer gun (should be as good as any 30-30 brush gun). But yeah, it sure is overlooked by the folks who go out looking for a first gun. If it had been my first gun it would have saved me a lot of trial and error when it comes to finding the right one.
"Die, my dear? Why that's the last thing I'll do!"

-Groucho Marx, funny till the end

LoneWolf57

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 07:06:19 PM »
Not sure why he thinks the AK can't take coyotes or that the SKS is a sub standard deer gun (should be as good as any 30-30 brush gun).

The guy in the article isn't the only one. I know a few that feel the same way.
"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington

Brother

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2011, 05:45:55 PM »
I run into a weird prejudice against SKS's all the time, as if they are crappy rifles or something.  I've come to realize ,the people with those opinions are just idiots.  Nothing can be done about that. 

Sometimes I run into the more specific kind of idiot who says they don't mind SKS's, as long as it's "not a Chinese."  Well, that is even more idiotic.  But if it keeps the prices low, they can have at it with their dumbass opinions all they want.
"The only difference between a wise man and a fool is that one knows it."  Unknown

fender44

• SKS Expert
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2011, 06:47:02 PM »
I believe the SKS is growing in popularity all the time, some "hardcore gun guys" i work with are becoming more interesting in them and plan on adding them to their collection. Only Rifle's i own currently.

koolkerry

• Water
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • just pick up the garbage and don't worry about it
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2011, 08:58:34 PM »

I recomend them very often to "poor" friends, young guys just starting out or getting into guns pretty regularly as well, so on that front it was a good introduction article.

Geez The article sounded to me like an inexperienced guy writting about his unknowledged nephew that was on a budget. Wow and the sks is a great purchase for that circumstance. I do agree that the AK part had no business in the article about accuracy ect.

But if anybody would like to trade their new model 580 Mini 14. I have a ton of SKS's for trade. PM me Lets do business
Rock & Roll - Lou Reed & Velvet Underground

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkbpmFOuKrc

Heimdhal

• This is breakfast?
  • Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • www.hhholsters.com
    • Heimdhals Hybrid Holsters
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2011, 10:06:31 PM »

Geez The article sounded to me like an inexperienced guy writting about his unknowledged nephew that was on a budget. Wow and the sks is a great purchase for that circumstance. I do agree that the AK part had no business in the article about accuracy ect.

But if anybody would like to trade their new model 580 Mini 14. I have a ton of SKS's for trade. PM me Lets do business

If only I had them to trade.  I have never been impressed with the Mini 14.  Of the many center-fire guns I've seen at Appleseed, I have never seen a mini-14 go an full weekend without a number of issues, and that includes the newer ones which do seem truly better than the older ones, but still.

In fact, just a week ago a guy was having a heck of a time with his fairly new mini 14 from jams to case head seperation.

Im not a big fan of the round either, but that aside the mini-14 is not an ideal firearm in my book.  I would recomend a garage build AR before a mini-14, especialy for the price and utility.

Just my own personal opinion, nothing more.
"I saw that the State was half-witted, that it was timid as a lone woman with her silver spoons, and that it did not know its friends from its foes, and I lost all remaining respect for it, and pitied it."
--Henry David Thoreau