Author Topic: SKS Article in shootingtimes magazine. Good article  (Read 1373 times)

s78wingrider

• SKS Newbie
Re: SKS Article in shootingtimes magazine. Good article
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2011, 07:26:34 AM »
Great article, I knew nothing about a SKS and got mine on a gone awry work deal, but needed an extra hunting rifle to use in deer season cause my son came home from the Army to hunt and used my 6mm. One of my friends had one and said he couldn't bag a deer with it, think because of scope mount. THANKS, with all the help here!, I got mine safe to shoot and got a full size scope on it and YES it will put meat in the freezer! Aaron  :)

sharkcoasttactical.com

• SKS Newbie
    • sharkcoasttactical.com
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2011, 01:49:17 PM »
Thanks for the article.  My Norinco was the first rifle I bought and its still my preferred every range day shooter. I took a pristine Norinco in on trade a while back with a brand new Tapco stock.  It looked like it had never been fired.  It was an amazing piece.  I couldn't give it away.  I almost keep the piece for myself but I meet a kid at a show who knew everything about it and gobbled it up quick.  On the other hand, I still think its kinda cool that there are not a ton at them at the range
Life is too short to shoot an ugly gun

mrwgafun

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2011, 10:22:28 AM »
First let me say I am not a gun snob.  I have 2 Norincos and Yugo and I dig them.  We need to consider several things about the article.  First, magazines make a lot of money from their advertisers.  They will not go out of their way to tell people to buy an SKS (that has not been manufactured in years) over let say an DPMS who may spend big $$$ on Advertising.  Their articles will be some what bias.

Second, whether we like it or not the SKS is a blue collar gun.  It was made to be inexpensive to produce, simple to use and go bang every time you pull the trigger.  It does that very well.  And I am glad I have been able to pick up a few of them. 

With that being said I wish it were easier to setup an SKS for home defense.  The ability to mount a red dot, laser and light (reliably and easily) is something I would really appreciate.  BTW - I'm not a mall ninja.  Besides I am over 40 and sometime picking up the sights are a pain.

Akunamatata

• SKS Expert
    • Long Island Firearms
Re: SKS Artical in shootingtimes magazine. Good artical
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2011, 04:37:48 PM »
I dunno, I kinda read it in a condenscending way.  Like "Oh, it's just ok, good enough for the poor people"  and while that may be true I think he still sold the rifle a little short.

Consideirng he seems like an "elite" gun snob, what, you all cant afford 3,000$ rifles?, I suppose it was a good introduction to the gun over all.

I recomend them very often to "poor" friends, young guys just starting out or getting into guns pretty regularly as well, so on that front it was a good introduction article.

I would take one over a Ruger Mini 14 though, even the newer "better' ones.

Geez The article sounded to me like an inexperienced guy writting about his unknowledged nephew that was on a budget. Wow and the sks is a great purchase for that circumstance. I do agree that the AK part had no business in the article about accuracy ect.

But if anybody would like to trade their new model 580 Mini 14. I have a ton of SKS's for trade. PM me Lets do business

If only I had them to trade.  I have never been impressed with the Mini 14.  Of the many center-fire guns I've seen at Appleseed, I have never seen a mini-14 go an full weekend without a number of issues, and that includes the newer ones which do seem truly better than the older ones, but still.

In fact, just a week ago a guy was having a heck of a time with his fairly new mini 14 from jams to case head seperation.

Im not a big fan of the round either, but that aside the mini-14 is not an ideal firearm in my book.  I would recomend a garage build AR before a mini-14, especialy for the price and utility.

Just my own personal opinion, nothing more.

I agree. I am a reformed mini-14 fan.

The mini-14 would be a good rifle if it cost $500 and came with an installed accu-strut, tech sights rear sight, and weaver slots instead of the stupid ruger scope ring slots.... But it costs $700+, comes with crappy rear sight that takes forever to adjust, the accuracy is worse than any AK until you put the strut on it, quality magazines cost a boat load, and the scope mounting system is infuriatingly "unique".

Then there is the matter of reliability... A lot of mini-14s claim it is iron clad reliable like the AK. Not so in my experience. My mini was reliable, but reliable how an AR is reliable. You need to buy the right ammo and it needed to be lubed every few months or the charging handle would stick. It might shuck dirt better than the AR, but it's no AK.

So, back to topic... The SKS beats the Mini-14 in my book any day of the week.
"Die, my dear? Why that's the last thing I'll do!"

-Groucho Marx, funny till the end

oddcaliber

• SKS Expert
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2011, 04:34:46 PM »
My guess is that this writer has not seen all the videos on U tube about that SKS. Every one I have seen has been positive. I love my SKS!