Author Topic: Slide Fire for the AK  (Read 4584 times)

WALKERS210

• SKS Plinker
Slide Fire for the AK
« on: January 01, 2012, 08:28:17 PM »
 I don't remember where I saw the post about the Slide Fire for the AK but I did the Google search and went to their home page.  I knew that one had been developed and produced for the AR platform and from what I have read and from a local LEO they work great.  For some reason I ordered one from the manufacturer and now going to have to find a way to hide this and banking records from the wife.  The reason I didn't get one for the AR is I am waiting until this local LEO gets tired of playing with it and decides let it go, and 7.62x39 are a whole lot cheaper too.

SKS Karl

• SKS Marksman
Re: Slide Fire for the AK
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 06:32:19 PM »
Why? Just put in a light trigger & learn to bump fire. :roll:
Save your $$$ for more ammo.

WALKERS210

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 03:10:28 PM »
WHY?  This is very close to what I would tell my kids when they were growing up,  Because I said so!  But to be honest its just that now at my age, the house is paid for, both cars and truck paid for, and I have already given more money to 5 kids than I should have.  And in other words I'm spending their inheritance.  I have been bump firing many years and its just a gagget that I don't need, but one I want.  Also a plus is when I let my grandson shoot and see that big grin on his face that in its self is worth all the money in the world.   Still considering the one for the AR platform..

Greatguns

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 03:15:59 PM »
You can have the slide fire for the AK now if you want, just put the AK to AR butt stock adapter on your AK then you are good to go. Hopefully by the end of January I will have my adapter to allow the ATI folding stock(old style) to accept AR butt stocks(fixed position only at this time) you can install a slide fire on an SKS as well.

WALKERS210

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 06:10:56 PM »
Just before I opened the computer up I was looking at my SK and wondering if it could be done.  I sat down a few weeks ago and started a half hearted attempt to do drawings on something that would work on all semi's .  My eye and hands are not steady enough to do machine work now but luckily my son and nephew are both highly proficient in this type work.  As I stated earlier these are things that I really don't need but now old enough that I just go with my whimsical wants and the heck with money left over for the kids.

Money Mike

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 07:34:09 PM »
Want to see a ripoff. Take a look at the ........ BUMPSKI!!!!!!

http://fostechoutdoors.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-product-category.cgi?d=fostech-outdoor-llc&pc=13781
"Go Away, 'batin'!"

lonewolf

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 11:45:07 PM »

Greatguns

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 11:52:55 PM »
Quite a bit cheaper than the BUMPSKI too $290 vs. $450

peacecraft

• SKS Expert
    • Misfile - The Online Comic
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 01:34:54 PM »
Anyone know if one of those stocks would work with a modified Saiga 12?  Just curious after a conversation with a friend the other day.

Greatguns

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 01:39:38 PM »
Check the links, If the Saigas have been modified to be like a normal AK then yes they will work according to the Manufacturer.

dmac27

• SKS Gunsmith
  • Tiger Stripe para
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 02:50:13 PM »
Want to see a ripoff. Take a look at the ........ BUMPSKI!!!!!!

http://fostechoutdoors.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-product-category.cgi?d=fostech-outdoor-llc&pc=13781

Actually the Bumpski is based on an original patent by Bill Akins the designer of the Akins Accelerator Stock that got re-classified by the ATF as a machine gun.   He opened the door and others followed.   The difference being that the Slide Fire and the Bumpski contain NO SPRINGS so there is no mechanical function to them.   The Akins Accelerator had a spring that pushed the action forward onto the trigger finger and that is why it was re-classified.   The "Bumpski" is closer to the original sample that Bill sent to the ATF FTB for evaluation.   So I don't think the Bumpski can be seen as ripping off Slide Fires idea.    If I had the cash I would buy one to go with my Slide Fire that I just ordered last week so I could compare.   I have to admit I like the Slide Fire price point better but then it isn't made out of aluminum either.  As soon as I get it installed and tested I will be posting a review and some video footage.
Fear is not in the roar of a charging lion...but rather a click when you expect a bang !!!

Peter Capstick Hathaway

Money Mike

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 09:39:13 PM »
Dmac acutually I wasn't implying the Bumpski ripped anything thing off idea wise. I just meant that the pricing is unrealistic (ripoff). This is considering that most AKs (the whole rifle) can be had for less. I understand that machining is costly, but seriously two parts that are not overly complicated cannot be that much. I think it is a bit opportunistic and just taking advantage of the current fad of full-auto alternatives. Anyway more power to them, but I think it is a waste of money to buy a product that would enable a person to waste even more money in ammo. 2 cents.
"Go Away, 'batin'!"

dmac27

• SKS Gunsmith
  • Tiger Stripe para
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 11:43:46 PM »
I here ya Mike...it is a bit on the pricey side.   
Fear is not in the roar of a charging lion...but rather a click when you expect a bang !!!

Peter Capstick Hathaway

dmac27

• SKS Gunsmith
  • Tiger Stripe para
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 08:45:33 PM »
Received my stock yesterday.   Installation is easy.   I got to take it out today for a couple of hundred rounds...didn't last long!   The stock works as advertised.   It takes some getting used to.   I was able to do controlled three round bursts after a while and mag dumps are easy.

Peter Capstick Hathaway

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 09:04:17 PM »
 Can you post some pics of it?
Proudly making the world a safer place, one dirtbag at a time....