Author Topic: CANADIANS and tapco stocks  (Read 5763 times)

bluelargo

• SKS Newbie
CANADIANS and tapco stocks
« on: January 06, 2012, 01:51:56 AM »
okay so alot of canadians undoubtedly are thinking these are illegal - they are not illegal and companies such as tapco have distributors in canada which required alot of paperwork and product approval -namely the High capacity ( blocked to 5 rounds) magazines . these mags are awesome ,extremely reliable for a hunter , the 20 round looks great on the sks and makes it look balanced - TAPCO PLEASE READ - i wish they would make a 5/10 round mag as well- why?  lets face it ,as a gun owner in canada we have to tread alot lighter than our american brothers . I'm pretty certain that if you were spotted by a freak while carrying your rifle out to your truck the 5/20 round mag (empty) but installed - the cops would be hearing about it and the description they get will be "it looked like an ak47 - to the movie buff or "it looked like a machine gun that terrorists use " from the uneducated freak- thats enough right there for an uneducated rcmp to come knocking on your door with back up looking for the "machine gun" and believe it - your only rights are the option to remain silent and comply with the search -legallity of the search is of unimportance to police at this point - they will check the rifle call in the reg number and verify that you infact havent broken a single law . so moral of the story is - hide the hi capacity magazines until you get to the range.

are amercan brothers are laughing i can hear it so i will explain it his way also ......

no guns sold for hunting in canada have large cap mags . not even blocked to 5 hicap mags since 1992 even before that the only hicap mags were on restricted rifles and handguns but the law forced owners of hicap rifle mags to block them to five making say a 30 round mag legal since it cant hold more than 5 rounds ( there are also requirements on how the blocker is considered permanent including glueing) point is you cant easily convert back to full cap . and the owness is on the gun owner to ensure compliance - there can be mandatory jail time if it looks like the owner completely disregarded the requirement -so is it worth it to lose your job ,wife ,home, just to be a rebel - no instead write letters and lobby to have rifle mag capacities at least doubled to 10 rounds and 20 rounds ( full box of ammo) at a licenced gun range - so to our american brothers who are still laughing ...canadians just arent used to seing those evil hicap magazines that reighn terror all over the world even though they are being used in unregistered auto's and firing at 1000rpm . also canadians are not familiar with obsolete firearms used by our own military such as the FN  , americans are more familiar with there military history than canadians  are so anything that looks sporty is evil - lol

alright so if that bored you - im going to make another post with a few tips about some of the mods that have previously been and are being done and point out some things that might pertain to canadian owners upgrading to a tapco stock and mags on a russian model sks and some misinformation about tapco 5/20rd mag fitting issues . i will  call it canadian tapco mods -lol

MakarovingCharges

• SKS Guru
  • Makarov: The OTHER CCW choice
Re: CANADIANS and tapco stocks
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 10:21:25 AM »
Canada

Didn't we have a war with them recently?

Kidding!
Well, it's official. All three of the branches of the Federal Government are using the constitution as if it were TP. RIP Freedom and freewill the old republic has been replaced by a very potent kleptocracy. We're getting what we deserve, I guess.

RMXC51

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 04:33:54 PM »
No, that was a while ago.  You needed a new white house afterwards.  Pretty dumb of you to diss our beer... :lol:
Who we are never changes - who we THINK we are, does.

Drago

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • I'm Zoolander Cool
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 05:15:21 PM »
No, that was a while ago.  You needed a new white house afterwards.  Pretty dumb of you to diss our beer... :lol:
LOL, on the beer dissing!!

We need a new white house, maybe we should war again?? :)
I've given up caring what people do anymore....

M@D H@TTER

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Have you been to the range today?
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 06:01:20 PM »
Tapco offered 5rd mags not all that long ago.  Although, I don't believe the mags were made by Tapco...and if they were...they were subpar in quality.  Out of the two I purchased from them...both of the mags had chips come off the feed lips causing feeding issues.  They were replaced but I haven't used the replacements in ages because I feared the same issues again.

Woodbeef

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 08:29:05 PM »
Welcome,Bluelargo.Ahhhhhhhh.................before you write another novella,take a look around some. Most of the Americans here already know about our laws. Some of us have been here for many years,even before this iteration of the forum.  Also you might want to check your facts a bit about Canadian Gun Laws too.
Coming to you live from an igloo on an ice floe in the Great White North

leojlafrog

• SKS Marksman
  • Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 09:14:16 PM »
Welcome,Bluelargo.Ahhhhhhhh.................before you write another novella,take a look around some. Most of the Americans here already know about our laws. Some of us have been here for many years,even before this iteration of the forum.  Also you might want to check your facts a bit about Canadian Gun Laws too.

Word!
Life's tough, especially when you're stupid.

5 and holding
49 Tula laminate refurb
50 Tula w/all 49 features
51 Tula non refurb
53 Izzy non refurb
70's era Chinese '316'

Beermaker

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 10:15:11 PM »
Good Day Eh!
Well Bluelargo not quite sure about the overall rant but..  Yes as Canadians some people are anti gun.  The long gun registry speaks to that.  Soon to be demolished, deleted and a tremendous stupid waste of money.  I have my sks in a ATI fibreforce stock with  the standard 10rd pinned to 5 magazine.  I went with this stock because I spent alot of time with the FN C1A1 usually set to rock and roll on training. I like the pistol grip for stability.  It is sad that former military, including us former reservist, can't purchase.  For hunting I think you will find that 5 rds for center fire ammo is common even in the states.  We however are limited to 5 over all.  Rimfire and bolt action firearms however have no limitations example is the Lee Enfield at 10rds.  3 rds for shotgun.    Now for target shooting, 5 rds is a nice way to conserve ammo.  Most  groupings are based on 5.  More than that use a shotgun.  As for evil devices we are lucky to a point as we don't have such ruling.  Barrel length, overall shootabilty length and capacity are our evils.

We don't have to worry about Russian or Chinese issues.  We don't have to worry about 922r compliance.  We can also purchase cheap surplus ammo that is steel core and steel jacket that some laughably call armour (notice the u) piercing.  We can't own FA firearms but really who needs FA unless you are part of a gang.  And their weapons are not likely legal anyways.  I have seen sks's on the news on drug busts where they say AK47 and assault rifle and this one has a bayonet.  Big whoop.  Non-rifle people are non-rifle people. 

Now unfortunately I lost some interest in reading your thread (maybe it was/is the rum).  As for worrying about removable mags, I tweaked my 5 rd pin so I can efficiently load just the 5 rds off a 10 rd clip and keep firing. I have made a few tweaks and posts here and I think without a lot of mods the sks is a nice rifle.  The stock grip and length were my only issues.

Now for acquiring stocks like the  ATI fiberforce, I got mine from SKSman.  Some US resellers are limited to what they can sell or export.  If anything as Canadian resellers wake up we will see a better variety of accessories. 

Well enough of my counter rant.

Ken

P.s. I was talking to a fellow that had the police called on him for hunting with an AK 47 he actually had a no. 5 jungle carbine.  Duh!  I think this will happen anywhere.  Canada or USA.
Stress - The result of having to control the urge and not choke the S*&% out of someone who desperately needs it.

bluelargo

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 05:42:26 PM »
thanks woodbeef , which facts would you like me check regarding canadian gun law ? restricted /semi-auto/centerfire rifles are restricted to 5 rounds anytime. exception -handguns and rifles that accept handgun mags 10 round max.

hicap mags converted to 5 round are legal in canada

rimfire has no limit as well does a bolt action rifle

bluelargo

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 06:03:05 PM »
Hey m@d h@tter , yeah i think the mags you speak of were made by promag ,which i have read alot of negativity on , i have 1 tapco 5/20 and a promag 5 round .

tapco 5/20 flawless except we could have used a hole in the bottom for re/re maintenance but an easy fix dyi .

promag - havent fired it yet , but, the moment i loaded a round into it i knew i wouldnt even try without tweaking it , mag is way to stiff -just feel the difference between loading a tapco and a promag and notice how much harder it is to remove the rounds from the promag .

now when i rack the bolt it feeds way smoother but still way stiff compared to the tapco - a mag should work at the time of purchase so i wont be buying anymore promags .

what i meant when i was talking about tapco 5 rounders was it would be almost perfect to have a 5 round mag in a 10 round body in my opinion . so far i havent seen one.

oh and 1 thing i did to the promag was file the flat side ( on the mag ) of the mag catch to match the play present in the tapco - this eliminated some of the upward pressure when inserting a promag - im by no means a gunsmith nor handsome but i am handy -lol

Woodbeef

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 07:39:22 PM »
thanks woodbeef , which facts would you like me check regarding canadian gun law ? restricted /semi-auto/centerfire rifles are restricted to 5 rounds anytime. exception -handguns and rifles that accept handgun mags 10 round max.

hicap mags converted to 5 round are legal in canada

rimfire has no limit as well does a bolt action rifle

There now you have your info correct. You'll also find this is more of a Collector's site vs Bubba's type. You might get a larger audience for your Tapco mods on a Canadian site like CGN. Plenty of guys there trying to figure out plastic stocks and mags,and make them work.

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 08:23:59 PM »
 Ohhhhh, I don't know ,  Woodbeef; I would say that Bubba is alive and well here at Survivor's;

We have guys making scout rifles out of their Mosin's, guys cutting their SKS's into home made para's, and even guys making their own bullpups..... 8)

If you tried any of those things at the average "collector" sites, they  would give you the boot in about a second flat.
Proudly making the world a safer place, one dirtbag at a time....

M@D H@TTER

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Have you been to the range today?
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 08:36:39 PM »
Ohhhhh, I don't know ,  Woodbeef; I would say that Bubba is alive and well here at Survivor's;

We have guys making scout rifles out of their Mosin's, guys cutting their SKS's into home made para's, and even guys making their own bullpups..... 8)

If you tried any of those things at the average "collector" sites, they  would give you the boot in about a second flat.

Yeah, I plan on doing two out of three of those eventually myself.  :lol:

I didn't realise they were made by Promag (no markings that I found on the actual mags) but wouldn't have even bothered buying them if I'd known.  They had lots of flashing on the edges when I got them, and the first mag I tried actually broke in the first 5 shots.  Thanks for the info!

sksmaniac

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2012, 08:40:45 PM »

hooray for bubba!
2ND AMENDMENT: Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Woodbeef

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 09:28:33 PM »

The question is though..........are they doing it on Russians?