Author Topic: Old School Self Defense  (Read 1111 times)

jdscholer

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
Re: Old School Self Defense
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 07:51:19 PM »
Here's another one that I love.  It's a 32 hammerless.  Wouldn't it be nice if someone made a nice little .22 with this design.  jd

No man is born so stupid or worthless that he has nothing to teach me.

On my worst day, I may find someone whose day I can improve.

Veedubklown

• SKS Expert
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 09:06:44 PM »
Nice lemon squeezer!

I've got a Iver-Johnson .32 sw hammerless, I'm restoring.  If someone else has a 3rd model they're intimate with, I'd appreciate a little chat  :lol:

This is when I bought it from a dude who found it in the desert;

This is how it sits, now.

Norinco SKS, Glock 26, Ruger 10/22, Iver-Johnson Top-Break .32 S&W, Walther P22, Savage NRA Match, Auto-5 12ga, Bul M-5 Goverment 9mm

jdscholer

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 10:51:42 PM »
Nice project.  Looks like you're making good progress.
The first one of these top breaks I had was given to me by an old friend.  It had a broken main spring and hand spring.  I made a new main spring easily from a K-frame spring by shortening and thinning it.  The hand spring drove me nuts though.  I tried umpteen different attempts before I hit on the right springiness, strength, size, etc.  This was pre-Google days, and I didn't even have a decent picture to go from.  I finally had success though, and now understand how some goat herder can spend his evenings in a cave pounding out a beautiful replica of a 1911 Colt.   :)
I'll tell ya, I was good at tearing that thing down and putting it back together after doing it seventy eleven times.  The bore was terrible on that pistol, but it still shot good, and functioned perfectly for years;  until it got stolen by a tweeker chick. :cry:
I was bummed about it for years until I adopted the one at the top of this thread.  These little gems will always hold a place in my heart.  jd

Blakeman

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Semper Fi
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 09:56:28 AM »
Dangit JD, you gave me 'the wants' now...  :lol:
"The word bipartisan means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out." George Carlin

goody

• SKS Newbie
  • Ephesians 6:10-20
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 10:15:37 AM »
REally like the Iver Johnson.....

Not an "old classic" like some, but seeing the break tops made me post it.....nothing special, just an H&R in .38 sw....given to my wife as a gift from a family friend.  I dare say "flawless," but pretty close.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 11:38:00 AM by goody »
A simple Iowan clinging to his guns and religion

jdscholer

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2012, 11:29:48 AM »
REally like the Iver Johnson.....

Not an "old classic" like some, but seeing the break tops made me post it.....nothing special, just an H&R in .38 sw....given to my wife as a gift from a family friend.  I dare to saw "flawless," but pretty close.

Hey, I like that.  I think H&R continued this platform long after Smith and most others dropped it. 
That one looks pretty sturdy, and has a much better grip size than the standard top break.  Probably easier to shoot well. Looks like decent sights also.  I'll take it. :lol:  jd

goody

• SKS Newbie
  • Ephesians 6:10-20
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2012, 11:39:38 AM »
Yeah, she is a solid little gun.  Handles real nice and fits my wife really well.  Just wish the ammo was a bit easier/cheaper to come by.  Don't think my wife would appreciate me selling her gun  8)

goody
A simple Iowan clinging to his guns and religion

scarymike23

• A Sawhorse Is A
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • This argument needs more pie.
    • Alternate History War Film!
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2012, 01:38:16 PM »
Man, I love the top breaks. They're such stately pieces of shootlery! I've been lusting after one of the Enfields ever since I saw "The Wall", when Pink's dad is cleaning and loading his service revolver in the first few minutes.

There is at least one modern top break that I'm aware of. It's made by the Izhevsk armory - the MP412 REX.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/double-action-revolvers/rus/izhmeh-mp-412-e.html

Kind of lacks the elegant lines of the earlier top breaks but it would be a fun thing to have.
для родины!

Первые оружеиные заводы в туле

I'll grudgingly also say MN is the best sub $200 rifle value out there right now. Damn that scarymike guy and his enchanting photo! -Running Man, 02/28/14 at 02:54:32 PM

Veedubklown

• SKS Expert
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2012, 05:14:38 PM »
One thing I planned on after I get it into a shootable state, was to add a nuckle-duster grip.

Not mine, just a google search.
Norinco SKS, Glock 26, Ruger 10/22, Iver-Johnson Top-Break .32 S&W, Walther P22, Savage NRA Match, Auto-5 12ga, Bul M-5 Goverment 9mm

Aye Kay

• SKS Guru
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2012, 08:55:18 PM »
Hey ranger, speaking of "classic stuff" that makes ya smile, here's another one.  The old girl is still shy of 70,000 original miles, and also never fails to fire.   :lol:  jd

That is super cool.  I have a lot of "older" stuff too.  Only vehicles worth having in my opinion.  Looking good. 

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
 Aye Kay, JD knows that I long to own that truck, camper and all, and he loves to tease me with it. :(
Proudly making the world a safer place, one dirtbag at a time....

maloy

• Nothing suspicious here!
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2012, 07:03:25 PM »

Its hard to believe the .38 S&W was used as a military cartridge prior to the .45 ACP.

Maloy

Very hard.

It was the 38 Long Colt that was the military sidearm prior to the 45 acp.

and a hinged revolver could NEVER handle the pressure from a 357 mag, those hinges
were a problem and why a solid framed revolver was developed.

and it was the Schofield (45 S&W) revolver that was adopted by the US Calvary becasue it was so easy to reload while on horseback,  much easier than the Colt Single Action Army.

Look it up! http://www.chuckhawks.com/forgotten_38SW.htm

It was considered here and adopted in a version by the British.

Maloy
I can't go to hell, Satan still has a restraining order against me!

nhblaze

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Ruger Blackhawk Proudly made in Newport NH
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2012, 10:53:29 AM »
http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=5d85c418b4a0e0387a7c3446aee5215b&topic=13993.0

I will quote Elmer Keith

he added, "it was a pip squeak load and accuracy was about its only virtue."

After WW1 Britian did adopt the .38/200 round which was the same as the
.38 S&W Super Police , a 200 gr lead bullet @ 630 ft/sec.  At the beginning of WW2
the British Government was worried this round would be in violation of the Hague Convention,
they changed the bullet to a FMJ of 180 grs.

The USA did use the 45 acp in WW1 prior to the British Government adopting the .38/200.

It was the 38 Long Colt that was the official US military sidearm prior to the 45 ACP.

My retirement plan is simple, I'm only working until
noon the day of my funeral.