Author Topic: promag and tapco  (Read 2451 times)

faulkdizzle

• SKS Newbie
promag and tapco
« on: January 21, 2012, 09:13:42 PM »
after looking left right up and down i couldnt find any tapco mags online for a decent price and or outrageous shipping, so i was at the gunshow today and settled for a promag. i have read alot of mixed reviews on promag magazines... are they really that bad, i paid 20 bucks for a hi cap mag and i have not had a chance to shoot it and probly wont until somtime next week, im just wanting to know what to expect from this thing? smooth operation, or just pure junk. thanks in advance.

Wazlan

• SKS Newbie
Re: promag and tapco
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 09:36:12 PM »
Bought mine last week.
http://whatacountry.com/tapcosks20-roundmagazine.aspx
If they can be put in the cart , they are in stock. Best price that I found delivered to my door right now. You are right that most show out of stock.
"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-

faulkdizzle

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 09:45:02 PM »
do they have some play when they are inserted? the promag has a little. i was just wondering if the tapco fit was really tight?

Greatguns

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 09:54:23 PM »
I do not have personal experience with the new designed Pro-Mag SKS mags. The old style were junk. It has been stated that Pro-Mag pulled from Tapco's design when they redid theirs and that the new ones actually work reliably. I have handled a new style 30rnd and noticed the differences and how much better the follower looked.

Fit depends on the stock for the Tapco. With wood stocks you have to file away some of the sides on the inside of the magwell. The old Pro-Mags you didn't, but I don't know on the Pro-mags. Let us know how yours works out.

sksmaniac

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 10:57:19 PM »
my experience with the promag: they do fine till the feed lip cracks, and it's not a matter of if but a matter of when.
;
2ND AMENDMENT: Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Catmandoo

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
  • Gun totin', beer drinkin' flag waving, God fearin'
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 10:58:28 PM »
Hey faulkdizzle
 I have several of the USA brand mags and the problem of being loose is an easy fix. The feed lips, the part that curls over to old the shells in, can be bent ever so slightly up. Bent may be to strong of a word, tweaked a little is probably better.
 Looking at the mag from the top, the lips that are right at the bullet tips need to be moved upward. This tightens up the fit by making more contact with the bottom of the receiver, the wobble should be much less after this. CMD  8)
Be strong, and of a good courage, feare not, nor be afraid of them: for the Lord thy God, he it is that doeth goe with thee, he will not faile thee, nor forsake thee.
Deuteronomy 31:6

faulkdizzle

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 11:51:37 PM »
ill take a look at the lips on the magazines hopefully this works, i should have just kept the box mag i had. i thought i would be able to find one for 15 or 20 bucks but they are 40 plus shipping

1mlt

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • No place but TEXAS
    • TheSKSmagAdapter, LLC
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 12:02:48 AM »
do they have some play when they are inserted? the promag has a little. i was just wondering if the tapco fit was really tight?

You want some "play". If they are too tight, the feed lips may flex and cause mis-feeds or jams. I don't know about the new ProMag, but I go Tapco all the way.

Marcus
There is but one language and that is the English language. Teddy R., 1907
Duck-bill-less mag adapters for the SKS are located at
www.thesksmagadapter.com

bbjr1964

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 06:58:30 AM »
Tapco only for me.  Promag is that perfect gift for somebody you really don't like.

Davidscheidt

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 07:41:11 AM »

All the Tapco mags I have used are tight fitting. I have a dozen or so and they seem to work great.

lithopedian

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 04:45:39 PM »
I have a 40 round Promag, when I 1st got it I would have the occasional failure to feed.  After a small amount of lube and putting some rounds through it I haven't had any issues since.

joecoyote

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 03:22:34 AM »
I have a tapco 20 and a tapco 5 round, 5 round is ridiculously long, just a blocked 20 rd, both feed fine, I ordered some 5 rd promag as they are smaller, will shoot them when they come in.

tnxdshooter

• Deceitful Seller
  • SKS Sniper
  • USER IS BANNED
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 11:49:17 AM »
I have a tapco 20 and a tapco 5 round, 5 round is ridiculously long, just a blocked 20 rd, both feed fine, I ordered some 5 rd promag as they are smaller, will shoot them when they come in.

Let me know how the promags work because I am looking for a five round mag for hunting.

MattMedic

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 09:48:09 AM »
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/tapco-30-rd-ak-47-mag-flat-dark-earth.aspx?a=681084

check these tapco's out 30-r0unders, i havent tried them yet but they have unbelievable reviews

1mlt

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • No place but TEXAS
    • TheSKSmagAdapter, LLC
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 12:10:45 PM »
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/tapco-30-rd-ak-47-mag-flat-dark-earth.aspx?a=681084

check these tapco's out 30-r0unders, i havent tried them yet but they have unbelievable reviews

Matt, Those are AK47 mags and won't run in the SKS. BTW, welcome to the Boards.
Marcus
There is but one language and that is the English language. Teddy R., 1907
Duck-bill-less mag adapters for the SKS are located at
www.thesksmagadapter.com