Author Topic: Threaded or Pinned Barrel?  (Read 3176 times)

the sarges son

• SKS Marksman
Threaded or Pinned Barrel?
« on: February 02, 2012, 01:28:06 PM »
Which is the better in your opinion. Mine is pinned.

sksmaniac

• SKS Sniper
Re: Threaded or Pinned Barrel?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 01:31:12 PM »
Threaded
2ND AMENDMENT: Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Greatguns

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 01:34:02 PM »
One is not better than the other, just different. They both shoot well. I've had both and unless you are planning on removing the barrel there is no real difference otherwise.

legendre

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 03:07:01 PM »
Threaded

+1

Sorry, the threaded barrels are indicative of a higher-quality (or at least more costly to manufacture) gun, and there's a certain clout that comes with that. I would personally never buy a pinned-barrel SKS unless it was a serious bargain - like the major hurtin' unit that recently dropped into my lap for almost free.

Incidentally, the biggest issue with this gun is that the barrel pin broke, almost ejecting the barrel from the receiver during live fire. That can't happen to a threaded barrel.

I've also heard that the threaded guns tend to be more accurate - and while there are good reasons to believe it could be true, I've never seen any actual evidence for it.

carbine85

• SKS Shooter
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 05:34:09 PM »
I recently picked up a 16" pinned barrel Model M that out shoots my Yugos and Russian. I have no concerns with either one.

Greatguns

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 06:28:44 PM »
Threaded

+1

Sorry, the threaded barrels are indicative of a higher-quality (or at least more costly to manufacture) gun, and there's a certain clout that comes with that. I would personally never buy a pinned-barrel SKS unless it was a serious bargain - like the major hurtin' unit that recently dropped into my lap for almost free.

Incidentally, the biggest issue with this gun is that the barrel pin broke, almost ejecting the barrel from the receiver during live fire. That can't happen to a threaded barrel.
Not really, it only shows a different technology. If pinned barrels were cheap and problematic we would have a ton of issues relating from the AK format and many handguns that have pinned barrels as well.

I've also heard that the threaded guns tend to be more accurate - and while there are good reasons to believe it could be true, I've never seen any actual evidence for it.

That is a topic of conversation that will in all probability never get resolved. One of the most accurate Chinese SKSs I have owned was a pinned barrel type.

sheepdog

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • BIG MONEY GRIFF
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 07:33:38 PM »
As above I've heard it both ways. Some say pinned barrels are more accurate, some say threaded. If you like the gun I wouldn't loose any sleep over which one you had.
 LIVE FROM THE DOGHOUSE

J.A.B.M.

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 07:39:35 PM »
It is my understanding that the threaded barrel indicates a forged receiver.  Hence A pinned barrel indicates stamped receiver. By association, this makes the threaded barrel better than the pinned barrel. I could be wrong though and I hope someone more informed than me can clear this up.
Happiness is a direction not a destination.      Fortune Cookie

harleyrider

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • Just Ridin the Breeze
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 08:05:56 PM »
It is my understanding that the threaded barrel indicates a forged receiver.  Hence A pinned barrel indicates stamped receiver. By association, this makes the threaded barrel better than the pinned barrel. I could be wrong though and I hope someone more informed than me can clear this up.

Not true.  Both pinned and threaded barrels were used on forged receivers.  The Chinese stamped receivers were more or less an experiment at the end of SKS production to see if they could cut costs even further.  They are rare and usually bring a premium.  Generally only see 3-5 of them up for sale on GB in a given year.

HR

J.A.B.M.

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 08:35:38 PM »
 I remember seeing those  stamped receivers. It's pretty obvious. Thanks HR
Happiness is a direction not a destination.      Fortune Cookie

LoneWolf57

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 09:30:18 PM »
As above I've heard it both ways. Some say pinned barrels are more accurate, some say threaded. If you like the gun I wouldn't loose any sleep over which one you had.

+1
"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington

the sarges son

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 10:02:13 AM »
I really like this one I just bought. I will see how she shoots soon. Thanks for the comments.

Rooftop Voter

• SKS Newbie
Looking for replacement SKS barrel
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 08:52:18 PM »
I have a Chinese pinned barrel SKS and I am looking for a replacement barrel for this rifle. I like shooting it since it is inexpensive to operate but the time has come to replace the barrel. Any ideas out there as to where I might look?
Mike in FL; also shoot Barrett M82 50 cal. Now that's a blast too!

enginecat

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 03:19:17 AM »
^^^I saw a pinned barrel still on the receiver stub for sale on gun broker yesterday when I was looking around.

I've had both pinned and threaded barrels and they were equally accurate. The machine work was definitely quite a bit less finished on the pinned than any of my threaded barrel models but apparently it's not much of an issue as far as accuracy and reliability goes.
I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another.

1srelluc

• SKS Gunsmith
  • Well....It can't hurt.
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 07:44:53 AM »
I took my "new" 1991 pinned-barrel commercial Nornico SKS to my range yesterday for a short range session and it was every bit as accurate and functioned just about as well as my go-to 1963 Factory 26. The big difference was just in the trigger and even that was not much of a much to me.

Sure it is a lot rougher as to the milling of the receiver and other milled parts and has a stamped TG but it functioned flawlessly and the holes in the target were where I wanted them.

In 35+ years I would expect a battle rifle to go through changes to lessen the cost of, or speed-up production but still be both reliable and accurate. 

I did not have a pinned barrel example so it's a keeper.  :)
Senator...Don't pee down my back and tell me it's raining...