Author Topic: Summary of aftermarket stocks available for the SKS  (Read 24116 times)

Greatguns

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse stock folding adapter
Summary of aftermarket stocks available for the SKS
« on: February 03, 2012, 11:41:17 PM »
I posted this in response to someone's question about stocks in another forum thread and as an afterthought figured I would post it up here for any and all who want a quick review of what is available for the SKS in the way of aftermarket stocks. Also to make it a little more complete I added the Chinese Fiberglas stock to the list here that I did not have in the original post. If anyone thinks of a stock I left out please post up and add to the list. Keep in mind the list is for current available aftermarket SKS stocks. Here it is;
Note: All stocks except the Chinese Fiberglas are US made and count as 2 922(r) compliance parts when accompanied by their companion HG.(stock 1, HG 1)

Conventional(or Monte Carlo) Synthetic;
ATI/Combat Exchange - it is a true right hand Monte Carlo stock with check weld. It is heavier than other conventional style stocks. Has a recoil pad and is very durable.
Choate - Light, ambidextrous, has a recoil pad. A favorite among many.
Ram-Line - Also light, Ambidextrous, has a butt plate. Not as nice as the Choate but still popular.
A lot of guys like the Choate or Ram-Line as it gives the SKS an M1A look with the right detachable stock.
Butler Creek - used to make a conventional style stock but I don't know if they do any more.
Chinese Fiberglas - Imported at one time and some are still around. Looks like the original wood stock.(is not a 922r compliant part as it is not US made)

Wood;
Tapco's Timbersmith line - has a few stocks out for the SKS that are real nice.
Boyd's - I believe Makes(or used to make) a Monte Carlo style stock for the SKS.
I also think Ironwood makes them to order.

Folding synthetic;
Ram-Line - folds right, hard brittle plastic, basically a piece of junk IMO.
ATI/Combat Exchange(old style) - sleek design, folds right, long LOP, butt portion tends to wobble and break at the pivot. I like the main body on this design, but not the butt extension. I am producing an adapter for this stock that will allow it to accept an AR butt stock but it will be fixed and not folding at this time. Also making a rail to fit into the bayonet slot.
ATI(new style) - Folds left, updated design from the old style on the main body and has a collapsible butt stock instead of fixed length and has rails on the fore end. Has been known to be problematic on installation requiring more fitting than usual, but guys seem to like it once they get it installed.

Tactical;
ATI Folding(new style) - see above
Tapco T-6 - Fixed collapsible butt stock with rails available. Very sturdy and stable design. Some guys don't like the somewhat boxy design, but it has become an industry standard.
ATI Dragonov - Heavy, but very sturdy. Not the best design but can be modified to help the looks. Great for the sniper look. Long LOP. A few guys have used this stock to make their own bull pup stock.
Choate Dragonov - Lighter than the ATI, well made and has shims to adjust the LOP. Sleeker design than the ATI as well.
NEW ADDITIONS
Archangel SKS stock - Made by ProMag's AA subdivision. No review yet but if someone has one and can send me a review on it I can throw it up here.
Phoenix Technologies Kicklite SKS stock - I just looked at this stock online and noticed the company is from Burgaw, NC which is where Combat Exchange was from. I'm wondering if it is basically the same people who originally designed the old Ultralite(Thus Kicklite) folding and Monte Carlo stocks. If you look at the Kicklite body it looks a lot like the old folder stock except at the lower ferrule area which is modified and looks more like the Tapco. Again on this, if someone has a review on this stock I can add it.

Bull-pup;
CBRPS - they make a couple of styles for the SKS. One is somewhat space-age looking, but the spike model looks okay. I have heard they are cheaply made but have no experience with them so you will have to ask those who do.
SGW - Everybody who has one likes it. They are purportedly the best out, but they do have shipping issues so expect to wait a long time for delivery if you order one. I know they are working on getting caught up but haven't seen much improvement yet. There are a couple of threads about this stock here.
LKermit Custom - Custom wood bull-pup stocks by our own LKermit here on the boards. If you like wood over synthetic and want a bullpup stock he is the one to talk to.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 03:51:49 PM by Greatguns »

FSJeeper

• SKS Marksman
Re: Summary of aftermarket stocks available for the SKS
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 08:14:23 PM »
I have bought and handled several other after market stocks. The best for my needs is the Butler Creek.

NewShooter

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 08:57:38 AM »
i love my ati folding strikeforce. very few modding required for my chinese.

Xmilkk

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 10:35:07 PM »
CBRPS has an EZ Mag bull-pup stock that allow you to shave the duck bills off your after market mag. Seems they were using 20 rd Tapco style.  Looks like less mag fumbling for after market users. They have installation and test fire videos on their site. Kill some time and take a look. These and and the spike model look much sturdier that the sporter which is one you can get in white and kinda looks like a storm troopers rifle.

IronDog70

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 08:51:22 PM »
I have the ATI ultra-lite 6-position folder on my yugo and it has been a solid stock from the get go.  I did have to do a little milling to get an exact fit, but it was not anything overly complicated.  The darn cheek rest is useless since I put on a Scout Scope Mount and my Barska Reflex site :(  One fun little gun so far... 

I know, this is my rifle this is my gun... :lol:

Xmilkk

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 05:59:30 PM »
Correction to a previos post. The CBRS EZ Mag is an add on for the spike and allows you to cut the duckbill down for easier reloading. Eventually I might get one of these.

gunnewb

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 10:37:50 PM »
Do any of the bull pup stocks accept a drum mag?

sksmaniac

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 10:39:34 PM »
I think Lkemit makes one that accepts a drum
2ND AMENDMENT: Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

99dodge318

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 10:54:20 PM »
I think it would be a little uncomfortable having to tuck a drum magazine up under your armpit!

I also think it would be a p.i.t.a. to quickly change out mags, in fact I think its hard to change out tapcos in a bull-pup.

Just my two cents

gunnewb

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 01:58:01 AM »
Ive never shot a bull pup... Yet!... Haha. Thanks for the input.

mudoven

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 01:38:31 AM »
Any idea when you'll have the ATI folding stock to AR adapters available?  I totally agree, mine is wobbly and the area around the folding mechanism is a big weak spot.

Cool thread.

Xmilkk

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 06:14:12 PM »
I thought about the ATI folder but opted for the tapco because it wasn't a folder. The first thing I thought of was how wobbly will a folder be. Though had I just bought it I feel I'd be able to tighten it up somhow (shimming, hardware replacement, etc.) Last I heard they were just trying to figure out what to make the adapters out of.

MOUNTAIN WILLIAM

• SKS Newbie
"Let's Roll" Todd Beamer United Flight 93

ramairthree

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 08:28:25 PM »
This is a great sticky. I have been doing a lot of searches for stock information.

A long time ago I had a Choate pre-ban folder for an SKS.  It broke and they would not honor the lifetime guarantee.
(It was during the AWB and they were not making the folders then, I was pretty mad they did not offer me a non-folding sub or something)

Anyways, I will not go that brand again.

For my current stock,
my goal is a folder on an SKS-M.

The stock on it is great as far as Chinese wood goes, but I need it shorter.
It needs to fit in a blow out box with a Draco and MAK90 with Tapco Folder.
Right now it is far too long.

From the searches here,
I believe I need to go the ATI Strikeforce option in order to get a folding stock.

I will need to do some modifying because I have an M model.

Compliance will the stock, fore grip, and US mags.

Those of you with SKS folding stock and SKS M experience please chime in if I am on the wrong track,
or if you know a better option, etc.
Thank you.

Greatguns

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse stock folding adapter
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 11:48:41 PM »
FYI, I am working on an adapter to allow for an AR butt stock and folding capability on the Tapco T-6. So that may be an option in the near future for you as well.