Author Topic: Replace thumbhole stock on Mak-90  (Read 6219 times)

bigjd421

• SKS Newbie
Replace thumbhole stock on Mak-90
« on: February 04, 2012, 11:52:52 AM »
I'm having trouble finding a stock that will fit my Mak-90 so i can replace that silly thumbhole stock. All the stocks from Tapco say that it will not fit the Mak-90. Any suggestoions?

Bigjd421

longspring

• MFCEO
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Just a guy on a buffalo .
Re: Replace thumbhole stock on Mak-90
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 11:55:04 AM »
 Look at Iron wood designs .  http://ironwooddesigns.com/IWDNEWAKMA_2.html
http://www.ambushtactical.com/
http://www.am-tac.com/

I fear there is douchebaggery afoot. - HI-SPEED

AKBLUE

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 12:11:36 PM »
Is yours the angle cut or straight cut rear?  The change does require 922r US parts.  A stock set is a good start.  Ironwood Design has a Woodpilre section with "seconds" for less money.  You do have to finish and stain etc.,
I would stay away from TAPCO on a nice Chinese but that is just me :shock:
If it is a straight cut you can make euro AKM or AK74 stocks fit but they do need a bit of trimmong to fit inside the receiver etc., Others here have done it and may chime in.

Hodgie

• World renowned Failure
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Kicking Ass since 77
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 12:22:07 PM »
Check out copes they have a lot of stocks and parts for the AK.
http://www.copesdistributing.net/ak47-rifle-parts-c-32_34.html
Red Ryder BB Gun with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time.

shawker71

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • WECSOG alumni
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 01:24:33 PM »
I have a slant cut MAK and just used a regular wood stock on it for a bit. You just sand down the lip that is there due to the receiver being cut differently. You can't tell any difference and it is still in there pretty tight. I have an underfolder with an adapter on it now that I picked up from a fellow board member a while back. Look at the various sites for deals. My pistol grip and hand guards came from Classic Arms when they had American Walnut sets on clearance for like $10. They were for milled receivers but it all fit minus the butt obviously. You have many options and the only reason for something not to fit a MAK can usually be fixed quickly with a few file swipes due to receiver thickness.
When the cup is so full of awesome soup, how can there be any room left for anything else.   Crackers, you say?  I think not, the crackers are out classed as well - Heimdhal

bigjd421

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 04:48:57 PM »
Thanks!  That give me some options to explore.

HalfFast73

• SKS Shooter
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 10:21:14 AM »
The Tapco Timbersmith stocks will work with some fitting on MAKs, mostly on the lower handguard.
I used a set on mine, along with a Tapco FCG for 922r compliance.

Came out fine, but you can get a set from Ironwood that'll go right on, available for slant-cut, too.

shawker71

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • WECSOG alumni
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 06:38:53 PM »
HalfFast, I like the laminate on yours. I am thinking of getting an Ironwood butt for mine because the LOP with the folder is maybe an inch to long for me.
When the cup is so full of awesome soup, how can there be any room left for anything else.   Crackers, you say?  I think not, the crackers are out classed as well - Heimdhal

Tazman 442

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 08:40:35 PM »
TAPCO stocks wont fit MAK90 ? I dont see why if its a square back reciever. I've used them on several MAK's, just requires a little trimming to fit the thicker reciever. The milled MAK's are the real pain.

HalfFast73

• SKS Shooter
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 11:53:29 PM »
The buttstock fit fine, just needed a very slight amount shaved off to accommodate the thicker receiver.
The lower handguard was what needed the work.

The original is on the left... the red lines indicate where the Timbersmith needed work to fit the MAK.
Don't know why I didn't get a pic BEFORE I started modifying it.  :?

rcbif

• Professional Somethin or Other
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Lock "N" Load
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 08:29:27 PM »
Standard Chinese buttstock for me. Always loved the look of the chinese ak in the amber wood.

A finnish guy sells them on ebay. You have to jump thru some 9rr2 hoops though for the original Chinese look.

Aye Kay

• SKS Guru
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 07:29:24 PM »
Standard Chinese buttstock for me. Always loved the look of the chinese ak in the amber wood.

A finnish guy sells them on ebay. You have to jump thru some 9rr2 hoops though for the original Chinese look.

That's one pretty rifle.  I sold one that looked exactly like that to my neighbor.  He took it home and finished it to look like walnut.  My Girlfriend at the time saw it and said, "That looks like a G##damn coffe table!"  I spit beer out of my nose, she had said just what I was thinking.  :) 
   To the OP, I say do the OG chinese wood look.  Those timbersmith stocks look good, but the lack of the metal piece on top of the pistol grip makes it look strange to me.  Just MHO. 

Tazman 442

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 07:58:09 PM »
You can get the MAK pistol grip with the band cut from Ironwood Designs.

bones1014

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 10:35:41 PM »
Choate makes the Dragunov stock that fits the slant cut receivers.  I bought one for the Mak-90 I bought last week.  I know it still is kinda like a thumbhole but it's real comfortable to shoot.
"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."
-Aaron Sorkin